2.2 Ecotec Turbo Build - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Ecotec Turbo Build
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:25 PM

Okay, so I have a 04 Sunfire with full aftermarket exhaust with a AEM Cold Air intake kit other than that its stock. I want to put a T3 50 A/R Compressor, .63A/R Turbine Turbo into my sunfire (WITHOUT AN INTER COOLER) with a 38mm 8Psi waste-gate and a Manuel boost controller. I am not looking for supreme power. I am just looking to make at least around a low 200 HP margin. Maybe 240 Hp Max. I need to know what is the MAX boost for a stock engine. Also, what I would need to do to make it withstand 8 PSI and that is my max for boost. I do not want to upgrade the transmission. Will I need new connecting rods or new rod and main bearings. Also what about Hypereutectic Pistons would I need them and also what about a new head gasket. Its not a daily driver but I'd like the engine and transmission to last a long time. Thanks!

Re: 2.2 Ecotec Turbo Build
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:53 PM
Well, you can do that but if I were you I'd look into an mp62 supercharger kit, basically it's the setup off a cobalt ss or a redline ion, gm also made kits for cavi's. It's very simple to put on and will make more power than what your wanting. A stock eco with a solid tune can handle more power than you'd think. Mine is my dd and I made the numbers in my sig on a stock engine from cams to crank. If your looking for a true bolt on and go 249whp I'm actually selling my entire setup and the details are in the link above my sig.

The other route you could go if you have your heart set on turbo is to get a turbo setup off a Saab and run the gm supercharger reflash, it too will make the power you want and many people have done it with great success. Do some searching around and you'll get 90% of all your questions answered and you'll also see what issues people have run into so you can avoid them yourself. One of the biggest issues we face with our platform is getting a proper tune as most tuners have issues with your computers...so thats just a heads up. I checked your profile and noticed your new around here. Make sure you fill out the rest of it so we can help you out better, and also add your location as you might have a few knowlegable members in your area that could help you in person if need be. Feel free to pm me any questions or post up here.

Have a good one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:57 PM

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:28 PM
Have to ask, why no intercooler?

That is asking for trouble even at the power levels your looking for... especially with a boost controller (If your power goals are attainable without one, which they are on 8psi and an eco... again, obviously your looking to do more.)

Buy Corky Bell's book, "Maximum Boost", after reading that you will never again question the necessity of intercooling.. no matter what the boost level.

Just real quick... typical compressors at 8psi have up to a 100% rise in temperature across the compressor... on a day thats 100 degrees thats 200 degree air coming into that engine... while it will still make a good bang, it will hurt your power at the least, and introduce huge tuning issues and possible damage to a stock engine.

Cheap, decent quality bar and plate intercoolers of reasonable size are available brand new on ebay all day. many with Piping kits too. Or jump on an old SVO mustang or mitsu intercooler from a DSM. They are everywhere and just as cheap. Compact too.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 5:21 PM
Cory Bells book is good, but it's also a bit dated, more up to date books that have helped me are "Real world high performance turbo systems" from SA books and "Turbocharging performance handbook" from Motorbooks workshop. both were available at my local library, and I ended up buying them later. other books that will help if you interested in going further are "Engine Management: Advanced Tuning" and "Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems" both by Greg Banish.

for your modest goals the supercharger kit will be much less of a headache, almost plug and play, and if you are set on a turbocharger, get an inter-cooler, and read read read.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:21 AM
Which sabb do you get the stuff off of for the ecotec? I know which one it is for the older z24 but not sure of if that will work for the ecotec.

2.2 ecotec (stock internals) typhoon k&n in take 2 inch drop springs
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:54 AM
Linear or Aero model 9-3 I got mine off a 2005, I think if you search it will tell you what years and also what year the mitsu was on and how to tell it apart from the garrett.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:02 AM
If your going to do turbo you need a intercooler.

8psi with a intercooler and a decent tune should get you around 200-210whp.

You also do not need a boost controller to run 8psi.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:38 AM
Cinny wrote:Cory Bells book is good, but it's also a bit dated, more up to date books that have helped me are "Real world high performance turbo systems" from SA books and "Turbocharging performance handbook" from Motorbooks workshop. both were available at my local library, and I ended up buying them later. other books that will help if you interested in going further are "Engine Management: Advanced Tuning" and "Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems" both by Greg Banish.

for your modest goals the supercharger kit will be much less of a headache, almost plug and play, and if you are set on a turbocharger, get an inter-cooler, and read read read.

We are talking about technology from the 1960's-80's... Corky Bell's book is just fine. 90% of that book is still current. Nothing has changed with the exception of electronics... and electronics are not necessary for a turbo system.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:12 AM
Corky Bell's book is outdated?

Maybe if you were looking to tune your turbo setup.

If you are looking to build a proper setup from scratch then the fundamentals that he shares in his book still stand true today. Technology has changed but the way turbochargers work and how they interact with your engine has remained the same.

Intercool your setup. Even an inefficient intercooler is better than none... make more power with less pressure = less stress on the engine. Less worry about ambient temperature. Less worry about IAT's and tuning.

Why make it harder on yourself?

A boost controller isn't necessary at all for 8 psi... just get the appropriate spring for your wastegate.

Max boost for the stock engine? That's the wrong question to ask... maximum safe power that the weakest component can handle reliably is a bit closer to what you're aiming for. That maximum power is determined by how you build your turbo setup and how well it is tuned. Your ecotec could let go easily with no turbo kit if you tuned it like a donkey...

Out of sheer curiosity - why did you spec out that exact turbocharger? What made you come up with those AR numbers? Remember that AR is just part of the equation... what trim wheels are on the turbocharger? Where does your psi/power goal sit on the compressor map when you map it?

I think perhaps you need to sit down and re-think your goals with your proposed turbo setup, and definitely re-think your approach.

I don't MEAN to sound condescending at all... I just want you to understand that the project you are looking to undertake requires a lot of thought and planning and research... it's not just a compilation of parts. The best thing you can do before you undergo your project is to fully understand it and everything you are putting into it. After that the little details are easy to work out.

Cheers.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:46 PM
electronics and blow-off valves, I didn't mean to say it was a bad book, just that it could use refreshing. spercharging has been around almost as long as the automobile and WWII brought it to the mainstream. I don't claim to have all the answers either, gotta learn new stuff all the time.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:14 AM
You can get intercoolers from eBay cheap.. I have a small cx racing brand from eBay I paid like maybe 50 bucks and the build quality is flat out amazing...

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:36 AM
I have a intercooler ill sell for 100+ shipping never seen boost
Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:27 PM
Sell u my whole sab setup for 500 bucks plus shipping. Intercooler pipes oil.lines. Almost eveything is there. Its the low preasure turbo. Coolant lines r there al pipes everything besides maybe a few bolts. Dowpipe included. Let me know
Monday, March 05, 2012 8:34 AM
Thats a good deal

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:37 AM
Boosted are you a gangsta?

From your reg...

omg my car is so nasty. body kit, rims, turbo, tinted windows,molded in reverse lights, neons, everything

And your email is south playaz?

lolz.....

Friday, March 09, 2012 4:16 PM
jason norwood wrote:Boosted are you a gangsta?

From your reg...

omg my car is so nasty. body kit, rims, turbo, tinted windows,molded in reverse lights, neons, everything

And your email is south playaz?

lolz.....

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:37 PM
No im not, dont get on this site anymore. didnt even no tht was on there. Prob was put on there 4 years ago.
Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:59 AM
anyone know where to get the kit for a 2.2 non eco?
my engine is already bulit up from the block to the head just need that extra kick for the track this summer
anyone?
Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:03 PM
Kevin Mondoux wrote:anyone know where to get the kit for a 2.2 non eco?
my engine is already bulit up from the block to the head just need that extra kick for the track this summer
anyone?

So you come and repost on a thread from over a month ago about a motor that is not even discussed neither mentioned in the thread for an answer about something you could have done a search on and found that no one makes a kit for a 2.2ohv J-body?

The org is getting dumber by the minute...

Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:21 PM
Looking for some guidance, hoping some of you guys could help, i have a Cobalt 2.2l that im looking to turbo, just want to get some experience doing not looking for anything high powered. if anyone can help please respond otherwise point me in the right direction on the forums?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search