m62 sc eco guys - need clutch! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
m62 sc eco guys - need clutch!
Monday, June 04, 2012 7:12 PM
Will be installing s/c kit on the ecotec in the coming weeks.
Car has 102K miles.. with that in mind, a clutch will be done to prevent surprises.
Slave cylinder went out at 60k and was covered under warranty. Otherwise, the clutch does slip in 1st and 2nd gear nowadays.

LUK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LuK-04-210-New-Clutch-Set-/140756060440?fits=Model:Cavalier&hash=item20c5b70918&item=140756060440&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

vs.

EXEDY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT-SLAVE-02-05-CHEVY-CAVALIER-PONTIAC-SUNFIRE-OLDS-ALERO-2-2L-/400269864528?hash=item5d31f16e50&item=400269864528&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Ac cessories&vxp=mtr

Anybody running these, if so opinions? Suggestions for alternatives?
I have searched and found some answers. Not much on flywheels.. re-surface a good idea??

Thanks!

Re: m62 sc eco guys - need clutch!
Monday, June 04, 2012 7:16 PM
Always at the very least resurface the flywheel but getting a new one is ideal
Monday, June 04, 2012 7:20 PM
re surface flywheel. I was putting quite a bit of power through a stock excedy clutch and it was $125 with slave cylinder... I put 20K HARD miles on it.

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:29 PM
What and where can I get a good flywheel?
*BuiltNBoosted... where did you find it for $125 and was it an actual kit?

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:34 PM
I've had good luck with LUK, but i am still on my stock clutch in the cav.

Error: Sig not found.

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:39 PM
i have a luk pro gold in my 04 sunfire that is boosted with probably 60k on the clutch and still going strong.

AFAIK, Exedy and Luk are BOTH OEM products in jbodies depending on years. so i would say you cannot go wrong with either one.

Monday, June 04, 2012 8:36 PM
The ld9 act 6 puck disc from a 99 izsuzu with stock eco pressure plate and resurfaced flywheel...never slipped and still doesn't, Roofy is making over 300+whp iirc on his turbo kit and was using this with good luck so I copied him and love it. Disc can be aquired seperatly. I plan on keeping this on my turbo kit as well.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:33 AM
Spalattero wrote:What and where can I get a good flywheel?
*BuiltNBoosted... where did you find it for $125 and was it an actual kit?

Ebay actually. When I get to a computer ill see if I can find it. Came in a excedy box. New clutch. New pressure plate. New slave.

Took 20k HARD ABUSIVE miles.... 13-16psi.... 300+ hp. 285tq.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:55 AM
on the act 6-puck disc, do you just call and tell el\m you need the disc only?
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:23 PM
Snowman wrote:on the act 6-puck disc, do you just call and tell el\m you need the disc only?

just do a google search for just a replacement disc. thats how I got mine, took about 2 weeks as it was made to order.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:36 AM
all these nice name brand clutches, and Im running the Stage2 6puck from BAHNHOF from eBay lol. so far its holding up well, no slippage with my m62 setup (clutch slippage anyways)....

I got the clutch, slave, pressure plate, for liike $230 shipped or something. Then bought a stock flywheel (heard horror stories about the lightweight ones breaking).
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=49434&t=49434

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:40 AM

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:06 AM
blu04DD wrote:all these nice name brand clutches, and Im running the Stage2 6puck from BAHNHOF from eBay lol. so far its holding up well, no slippage with my m62 setup (clutch slippage anyways)....

I got the clutch, slave, pressure plate, for liike $230 shipped or something. Then bought a stock flywheel (heard horror stories about the lightweight ones breaking).
(http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=49434&t=49434)

..^interesting. i saw that kit on eBay as well. how many miles have you put on it? how diff is it vs. stock daily driving wise?

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:25 AM
I've had awesome luck with exedy, My oem unit lasted 80k with hundreds of passes on nitrous and m62. Even got close to a 1.7 60 as well! I just put another exedy unit in my car. $160 shipped from Ebay, comes with everything.

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:46 AM
yeah the OEM ones are cheap and can usually come with a flywheel and slave and everything. but i wanted something with a kick because of the boost, the stock one would prob show signs of age/slippage shortly after abuse.

I think Ive put down about 2-3,000 on it by now. I got it done in what, February? the only thing ive noticed is mine doesnt feel quite as 'tight' or have as much pressure on it as compared to some friends cars. but it holds well and is a very good daily driver. i can easily chirp in 1st through 3rd, and 4th if im really aggressive. It held up well a few weeks ago when i did some country 'cayon carving' and was constantly on the clutch going in and out of turns for a few hours.

if im not mistaken, im the first that i know of in the communities of jbodies to use the clutch. not too many know about BAHNHOF and I think most go with the pricier Exedy or Spec.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 2:08 PM
I know your having good luck with your Banhoff but another buddy of mine purchased one as well and it slips bad, he's only had the car back together for about 2 weeks and after breaking it in, it slips under boost. I literally just got. Text from him bout it. So now he's going factory pressure plate and act 6 puck out of an isuzu ld9 car.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:39 PM
So I'm decided on the Exedy clutch guys.
However there are two that seems to be the same. Any input??
Gripforce Exedy clutch kit
vs.
Gripforce OE clutch kit

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 5:14 PM
They are both the same...

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:03 PM
Get the KY Clutch on www.TurboTechRacing.com

Hands down you wont beat the quality. Best pressure plate and disc materials are used. It is the ONLY clutch kit brand the Cobalt members are using.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:14 PM
Spalattero wrote:So I'm decided on the Exedy clutch guys.
vs.
Gripforce OE clutch kit

Those will work perfect... they look to be the same like said. Do that kit... if it fails after 50K, youre out $150... resurface your flywheel. find the number for the ARP flywheel bolts and you will be fine.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:34 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:Get the KY Clutch on www.TurboTechRacing.com

Hands down you wont beat the quality. Best pressure plate and disc materials are used. It is the ONLY clutch kit brand the Cobalt members are using.

I am sure quality is good and your word is trusted. Unfortunately I am on a budget esp after just having purchased a sc kit. Appreciate it though!

BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Spalattero wrote:So I'm decided on the Exedy clutch guys.
vs.
Gripforce OE clutch kit

Those will work perfect... they look to be the same like said. Do that kit... if it fails after 50K, youre out $150... resurface your flywheel. find the number for the ARP flywheel bolts and you will be fine.

Sounds good. With the supercharger going on at 102K I'll be happy if the engine lasts another 50k let alone the clutch haha. Fingers crossed.
Part number for a set of eight of ARP flywheel bolts is 209-2801 (for future reference/searches).

This seems like the usual eBay marketing strategy. Same product. I'll probably still buy the one labeled "exedy"
OE:
Manufacturer Part Number: AGM04162
Part Number: GMK1000
Exedy:
Manufacturer Part Number: GMK1000 Interchange
Part Number: OEM 04-162

Thursday, June 07, 2012 5:44 AM
I fyour looking for low cost, use the factory pressure plate and act 6 puck out of an isuzu ld9 car, they work well, hold power, and the stock pressure plate will hold up well with it. And the ACT won't break the bank.
PM Roofy on here, if your skeptical.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:24 AM
ACT 6-puck and a OEM pressure plate.

You can buy the ACT 6-puck on Summit Racing for like $150 bucks IIRC.

Then just order a OEM pressure plate and throw out bearing.

Done.

Wish I would of known about this combo before I ordered my Bully clutch.

You really can't beat ACT, they make some of the best clutches out there, IMO.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 4:21 PM
^^How smooth does it engage? Chattery being a 6 puck?
Thursday, June 07, 2012 5:14 PM
Philly D wrote:^^How smooth does it engage? Chattery being a 6 puck?

It's got a sprung hub so it's not that bad, I've dd'd mine for over a year, like any performance clutch give it a day or too and you'll be just fine.

Monday, June 25, 2012 12:18 PM
my BAHNOF 6puck stage 2 is pretty chattery at idle. I can really only hear it though at drivethru's and in my garage idling. but the clutch itself has held up to some hard driving so far, id say a few thousand miles now on it...and i used a brand new stock flywheel when i had my clutch put in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search