Disappointed, but should I be? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Disappointed, but should I be?
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:43 PM
I'm a bit disappointed with my 1/4 mile times. My current best with this setup is a 13.05@109. I've had a few with trap speed at 111 but slower 1/4 mile times (13.2s) Reason I'm disappointed is because with my last setup I was doing 13.9s @ 100 on only 8psi with a smaller turbo (T3 super 60). Now I'm with built engine at 16psi and am only managing the 13.0 on a larger turbo (T3/T4 57 trim). Why would 8psi drop me 1.9sec with a small turbo, but an additional 8 and a larger turbo only drop another .9 on top of that? Not that I expect 11s or anything, but I'm a bit disappointing I cant break out of 13s. Maybe I shouldn't be? Thoughts?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Disappointed, but should I be?
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:17 PM
with the larger turbo when are you spooling up? are you running the tires that are on the car in your sig, it could be a matter of grip on the track. I didn't see a whole lot in the way of suspension upgrades in your profile. even if its non of that dropping nearly a whole second isn't anything to complain about even though I know you wish it was more.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:39 PM
what are your 60' times on each setup???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:00 AM
More info as already asked. Also with a 13.05 sounds like it is a matter of some practice and the right run to be 12's.

I also do not think alot of people have really pushed the auto tranny's in a car with decent power at the track. Maybe the auto is holding you back. Not saying ti is, but maybe.

What RPM's are you launching at?

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:38 AM
Yeah man, I bet with a day of great weather and more practice 12s will happen. I love this bc my car will be very similar as far as build and my goal is 12s!

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:45 AM
Well practice wouldn't do it. I've been down the track hundreds of times between this and others. Its auto, so there's really not a whole lot to it that practice would help. I launch at 2k. Anything above and the brakes just don't hold you. (stock TC) I do spin just a tad at the line and again when the turbo reaches full boost, but nothing too major. Turbo starts to spool at 2400rpm and full boost is seen right at the end of first/beginning of second and from there on. 60 ft with this setup is 2.05 with my 13.0s. Yesterday all I was getting was 2.2s with 13.2s and traps at 111. My last setup the 60s were 2.1s. I have a nitrous kit sitting in my garage that I keep contemplating adding just to help spool and cut off around 10psi, but not sure if that would help or hurt. I think it would help because it would get the turbo to full boost sooner, but I think it may hurt because then the more progressive power shock of the turbo spooling would be gone and it would more of an instant bang to the tranny and tires which already spin a little.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:08 AM
Matt, have you gotten it to shift correctly yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:41 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:14 AM
To shift? Its better, but still does its thing. I got it so it shifts before hitting redline (well about 75% of the time) but it still sounds and feels like its bouncing off the rev limiter between shifts. Not as bad as before though. Logs don't show it though, so I'm at a loss for what that whole deal is unless its just the TC slipping during shifts.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:43 AM
I really need to come up one day when you are there so I can hear it / feel it.

Have they made you wear a helmet yet?

I think my trans tune is pretty much 90% done. I just want to tweak it one more time. Then I'll email it to you.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:08 AM
Yeah, anything in 13s or faster and you need a helmet during eliminations.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:20 AM
im running a t3/t4 57 trim and went 12.6 @ 117 with a 2.1 60'....

just need more practice sounds like. Not to mention could be the tune, build, engine, exhaust... could be a ton of things.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:56 AM
First I will say just because it is a auto does not mean you can't do things to make it different. My best friend has a auto J, and he has tried many different things until he got what worked best. From putting it in D and pressing the gas, shifting through the gears, and I think what he uses is putting in in 2 and then shifting the last part.

Sounds ike also your tranny tune is no where near 100%, which could make a big difference.

Lastly I have said in the past it is hard to get auto's to perform well at the track. Not saying it can not be done, just hard.

With a stock TC launching is likely holding you back.

My firend use to use his MSD to launch (I want to say 2500 RPM's was the lowest setting).

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:47 PM
you sure you're not getting more tire spin between shifts? my major belt slippage is destroying my times, and before it was my tires. once i got DR's i was hooking up great, and then my belt would slip.
ive bested a 14.6@98 with very low RTs and it just slips the whole way down the track between shifts. since i know i can do mid to low 13's with my setup, its all in the traction for me.

my street tires were absolutely junk on the track..as are most with a boosted setup.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:11 PM
Reaction Time has nothing to do with 1/4 times or mph...

When I drag raced a lot I would put the shifter in second during my little tire spin to remove debris, and when I was at the line. Once the car was halfway through second I would put it in 3rd. WAY before it would shift. I normally left it in 3rd till I was back in the pits. Since autos will down shift no matter what gear the selector is in.

I tried going through the gears from 1st to 3rd, but leaving it in second was the best. "Even though it was actually in first at the start."

I sometimes was lazy left it in drive, and pulled the e-bake up one click to turn off traction control.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:28 PM
Having turbocharged a manual and an auto I'm going to say you lost a hefty chunk of speed off the line due to the larger turbo.
The Auto We boosted with a T3/T4 (.63/.60 AR) and it would only make 5psi at WOT. We switched out to a T3 .48 AR and the same Compressor housing and the car just came to life.
you just don't seem to get the spool with an auto for some reason but the reason escapes me....

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Monday, June 04, 2012 8:43 AM
Wes Gardner wrote:you just don't seem to get the spool with an auto for some reason but the reason escapes me....

reason escapes me too... i hit 21 psi on GT3076R by 2500rpm...

manifold makes all the difference...

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Monday, June 04, 2012 8:48 AM
Update..ish:

I'm working on changing a few thing that I think will help for sure. First off, I ordered so MT drag radials. I went to a diff track (usually a much better one) last week and was smoking the tires 1/3 of the way down the track. Tracking was 0 for me. 2.7 60' times. Not sure why exactly. Maybe it has always been like that but they didn't smoke as much at my usual track so I never knew it? IDK. But anyways, radials were ordered. Ended up with a 12.9 that day.

Going through my tune, I just noticed that under torque management, I still have "maximum torque" set at 350 for all gears. Once I get the radials, I'll try a run with it as is, and then another run with it raised. Maybe that's why it seems to bounce off the rev limiter when its not. Maybe its just limiting the tq. Hopefully raising the limit won't toast the tranny (auto) too soon.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Monday, June 04, 2012 8:56 AM
it won't. raise it to a ridiculous number.

230,000 miles, stock trans here.

skip radials, go to slicks. radials were just like my regular street tires.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Monday, June 04, 2012 9:08 PM
I think a good aftermarket torque converter would help alot. It does sound like you are having slipping problems with it.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search