Which ZZP Stage 3 H/E ion or cobal? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Which ZZP Stage 3 H/E ion or cobal?
Monday, June 11, 2012 7:16 PM
Hey guys just wondering which ZZP Stage 3 H/E should I buy? The one for the cobalt or the ion? Does it make a difference?

Re: Which ZZP Stage 3 H/E ion or cobal?
Monday, June 11, 2012 7:47 PM
Same car dude

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, June 11, 2012 8:04 PM
Same exchanger..but grab the cobalt one from zzp. I just picked one up and its a nice piece
Monday, June 11, 2012 8:07 PM
They say on the site its specially made for the ion. I wonder what they modified?
Monday, June 11, 2012 8:37 PM
Philly d did you notice a lot less power loss after you added it? Im running with no h/e atm and when you run the ac on a hot day it seems slower than before i supercharged it!
Monday, June 11, 2012 8:45 PM
I havent installed it yet...but yes...when my iat's get into the 14's and up the power loss is very very noticable. To the point I dont bother going into boost 90% of the time
Monday, June 11, 2012 8:45 PM
*140's
Monday, June 11, 2012 10:35 PM
Like said, they are the same...I believe one just has a red zzp logo, and the other red. And yes, you'll notice a difference from no h/e to the s3. Even from a smaller h/e up to the s3 is a difference. Youll notice a big difference (if you're data logging) pulling away from a stop where you've been sitting and allowing IATs to rise..they'll taper off much quicker with the bigger h/e. Anything you can do to help keep IATs down is going to help keep power readily available. High IATs = pulled timing

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:21 PM
the mounting on the h/ers is different from the cobalt to ion....ive heard the ion one mounts well to jbodies

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:51 PM
EvoFire wrote:the mounting on the h/ers is different from the cobalt to ion....ive heard the ion one mounts well to jbodies

Maybe I should've gotten an Ion one then...kind of had to "persuade" the brackets on mine to fit well, lol.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:13 PM
So maybe I should get the ion one

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:00 PM
Give it a shot.... worse case they are the same
Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:57 AM
Have you tested it yet? And were the exact things you bought? Lol Ill be needing to do the same things.
Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:43 AM
I'm still piecing together parts for adding my H/E. I have the I/C pump bracket and pump now. Next month I'll be ordering a zzp stage 3.
Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:15 PM
I personally got the cobalt s3...

Ill be installing mine the weekend of the 27th of july. Ill be putting up pics to show how I did it.
Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:56 PM
Im going to get the ion's version. Whenever i get it on along with the blower ill chime back in
Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:17 PM
I got the Cobalt one for mine, all I had to do was drill into the bumper support to get it to fit to be able to put on the bolts. Large lower holes on the bumper support. You can see the drilled areas that angle up a little. Did it on both sides of the bumper support. (front/back, its hollow)
Also had to trim a lot of the bottom of the front bumper to get the ZZP S3 to fit underneathe. No biggie, its plastic and cuts easy, but you will cut a lot off....

BEFORE

AFTER

TRIM BUMPER

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:20 PM

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, July 16, 2012 5:07 AM
Trimming the 03-05 bumpers is not needed. My S3 is mounted the same way and all of my bumpers fit without trimming, Base, LSS w/splitter, and Extreme Tuner.

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:48 AM
well you got a better fitment then lol...maybe it had to do with where it was mounted..but mine would hit all over, so i had to trim a lot off. infact you can still see mine sticking out the bottom without a lip kit on the base bumper

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:38 PM
blu04DD wrote:I got the Cobalt one for mine, all I had to do was drill into the bumper support to get it to fit to be able to put on the bolts. Large lower holes on the bumper support. You can see the drilled areas that angle up a little. Did it on both sides of the bumper support. (front/back, its hollow)
Also had to trim a lot of the bottom of the front bumper to get the ZZP S3 to fit underneathe. No biggie, its plastic and cuts easy, but you will cut a lot off....

BEFORE

AFTER

TRIM BUMPER

Why did you have to angle yours back?
Saturday, August 04, 2012 6:44 PM
Just for an update, my 05 sunfire took the ion's not too bad, had to drill holes, but i didnt have to if i cut some of the bumper, only like a half inch though, not as much as blu. I think I want to put some support brackets underneath for more support though. And I never removed the bumper haha

Saturday, August 04, 2012 7:08 PM
Well this is how I mounted the cobalt one on my car. Took a while but much cleaner then above....sorry blue;P

Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:59 AM
PhillyD, why did i have to angle what back?

Sunday, August 05, 2012 10:10 AM
The heat exchanger is angled back in the pic where as mine is straight in line with the bumper support since I didnt try and make the stock brackets fit.
Sunday, August 05, 2012 10:11 AM
EDIT**

After doing mine I can see why you had to angle it. I did mine last weekend...hence the pics.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search