gutted or hallowed cat - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gutted or hallowed cat
Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:36 PM
Does any body run a gutted cat on there supercharged car? how much et was worth? im asking bcause there are some states that dont require a sniffer test

Re: gutted or hallowed cat
Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:45 PM
For what its worth removing the cat on a supercharged car will do very little. Superchargers dont care about exhaust restrictions like turbo cars.

Keep the cat on there and enjoy not having a car that sounds like complete s hit.

Unless your registry is way out of date it looks like there is alot of other areas you can squeeze that last little bit of hp out of your car.
Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:52 PM
Cat, lol..

Error: Sig not found.

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:29 AM
Meow

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:50 AM
Philly D wrote:For what its worth removing the cat on a supercharged car will do very little. Superchargers dont care about exhaust restrictions like turbo cars.

huh? our car's in n/a form respond well to exhaust modifcation. a blower would LOVE to have a good flowing exhaust.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Monday, June 11, 2012 10:50 AM
-Z Yaaaa wrote: huh? our car's in n/a form respond well to exhaust modifcation. a blower would LOVE to have a good flowing exhaust.

agreed....before anyone gets the wrong idea reading this i'm gonna say this is info which can pertain to any car not just a cavalier. So use it how you will...
better flow means more go....really if you gut it it would become an 'expansion' piece..where exhaust gasses can expand and cool...you could do like the older guys and stick a solid pipe through it, put a couple tacks and it'll look good for a visual inspection, though I would recommend getting a cat with larger inlet and outlet maybe out of a junk yard off a v8 car, as I've come to understand your exhaust is only as good as your smallest diameter-i.e. if you have a 2" exhaust and you put a 3" cat-back on it, as far as getting more power and better flow-gains will be minimal...that convinced me to do 2.5" the whole way from the 2.5" downpipe on my N/A car. O and a resonator will keep that honda/ricer buzzing drone sound at bay...unless you want it to sound that way, totally your decision..just trying to give you some info...to be honest I don't KNOW what the gains are BUT I have HEARD different people from varios shops(slowboys, maximum velocity, Wyotech hi-po instructor) say anywhere from 0-50HP DEPENDING ON THE CAR AND MODS
Monday, June 11, 2012 10:52 AM
Bump....Grand-National love buick 3800
Monday, June 11, 2012 12:17 PM
I'm running catless right now but don't have before or after et times for it because the header went on at the same time.

But I know plenty of people with LS motor cars with gutted cats or test pipes in place and have seen drops in their et's at the strip.

i'd go with a test pipe that way you can still have a cat if you ever needed it for inspection.

http://youtu.be/RXppsUVhJJE
my car ^
Monday, June 11, 2012 4:43 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Philly D wrote:For what its worth removing the cat on a supercharged car will do very little. Superchargers dont care about exhaust restrictions like turbo cars.

huh? our car's in n/a form respond well to exhaust modifcation. a blower would LOVE to have a good flowing exhaust.

In theory that is correct but after all my reading on the cobalt forums it doesn't seem to be the case. Not saying you wont make an extra hp or 2 but it is negligible at best. Thats why some of the faster lsj's are running the gmpp exhaust which is actually 2.25" in some spots versus a 3" which doesn't seem to do much for power and makes the car sound bad.

Like I said its not worth having a car that sounds like complete ass for a couple hp. Maybe his registry is out of date but im sure intercooling, header, exhaust, tune smaller pulley are going to make more power and faster et's then removing the cat

But like everyone has said....removing the cat will increase power.....marginally.
Monday, June 11, 2012 5:02 PM
Philly D wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

In theory that is correct but after all my reading on the cobalt forums it doesn't seem to be the case.

Well that right there is the problem. Most cobalt owners are complete retards.

Error: Sig not found.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:29 AM
^^^^^ HAHAHAHAHAHA, well played sir.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:09 PM
Agree.....most are
Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:58 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
Philly D wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

In theory that is correct but after all my reading on the cobalt forums it doesn't seem to be the case.

Well that right there is the problem. Most cobalt owners are complete retards.

x2 Ignore pretty much everything you read on CobaltSS.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search