2001 2.2L non-eco sunfire - compatible SC? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 2.2L non-eco sunfire - compatible SC?
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:49 AM
Wondering which Super Chargers you can bolt on pretty easily with a 2001 2.2L sunfire. From what I know these are pretty scarce, so is it possible to put a Cobalt M60/M62 in there?

Re: 2001 2.2L non-eco sunfire - compatible SC?
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:19 AM
None, unless you fab a kit yourself, also there are a few old kits out there, if you can find one. I think RSM made em.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:35 AM
RSM only still produces the 2.2 ecotec and the LD9 (for the 2.4). not to mention they are almost 4 grand....
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:45 AM
IF u can find one there is a adapter out there that will allow u to run the m62 as a remote supercharger. otherwords it acts as ur manifold u will need to make a bracket to support it n adapt to the belts but from this adapter u run tubing to ur tb. go over to the boost section or northeast regiom and look for the tread about the ld9 running a harrotop. that supercharger is for ecos but hes gonna run.on a ld9. that adapter is what ull need amonst other stuff.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:28 AM
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:06 PM
cobalt m62 would be alot easier to fab up as its smaller and easier to make a flange the issue lies with the location the DOHC engine the intakes at the front the OHV its at the rear and there not much room there

can it be done oh yeah it can will it be easy not likely all the kits for it where centrifical chargers

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:30 AM
Tyler Desjardins wrote:Borg Warner EFR 7670? http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=455227&t=455227

that is for the ecotec motor.

would likely be cheaper to do a motor swap and add the sc designed for that motor.

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:13 PM
Looks like I will be leanIng towards the m62, how much is the adapter? Where can I buy one?
Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:29 PM
You cant buy an adapter because no one makes one. It'll have to be custom made by yourself or someone willing to go threw the hassle.

If you want to boost your stock engine then go turbo. If you are dead set on a blower then swap in an Ecotec and toss a M62 on.

Error: Sig not found.

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:21 AM
I don't even know where to begin with this post.

To start - as others have said there was a very very limited and rare kit produced by RSM that utilizes a centrifugal supercharger. As even you said it is no longer produced, and I take by your shock at the price that you have no clue how much JUST a brand new centrifugal supercharger actually costs. Just the charger is $1800 give or take. A rotrex is closer to $2500. That's just a supercharger.

There are major differences between a positive displacement Roots supercharger and a Centrifugal - but I won't get into that. Suffice to say the more compact yet expensive centrifugal provides less torque off the line but is a much easier piece to install. No intake manifold is necessary.

Nobody makes a "bracket" to mount a M62 to an LN2. It requires an entire manifold. Can you remote mount one? Yes but again they are quite large and space is tight on the back side of an LN2, not to mention you would need to relocate the throttlebody to ahead of the supercharger due to it being positive displacement, then build an outlet plate for the charger and plumb it how you like.

If all this sounds complicated - it is. There are times with cars & engines that you should just stick to what's been done and proven, and in your case I recommend a turbo. You can piece together a decent setup and then depending on the year of your car tune it and be pretty happy.

Take it from a guy who is making his own supercharger kit on an LD9... unless you are up to the challenge and want to do something different because that's your thing and you like to push the envelope... I would walk away from your S/C idea.

Good luck, no matter what.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:14 AM
well put chris

if you attempt this the m62 cobalt charger would be easier to fit remote then a m90 gtp charger just putting that out there

JBO since July 30, 2001

Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:36 AM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=185887&t=185887

well as therr is no adapter to make it a bolt on this adapter pictured few posts down in this above link tread will allow the adaption i was speaking of if u can fit as itll run the boost thru the tubes to the tb. and clearly he has it used to adapter a Eco harro to a LD9 motor. so with time n some cleaver fab skills i cant see why the adpation to his motor would be so far fetched. yes tons of work n would prob be easier to just eco swap but this could help.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:23 PM
Bluedriftcavy(Eco Swapper) wrote:http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=185887&t=185887

well as therr is no adapter to make it a bolt on this adapter pictured few posts down in this above link tread will allow the adaption i was speaking of if u can fit as itll run the boost thru the tubes to the tb. and clearly he has it used to adapter a Eco harro to a LD9 motor. so with time n some cleaver fab skills i cant see why the adpation to his motor would be so far fetched. yes tons of work n would prob be easier to just eco swap but this could help.

First thing, that's an M90 and you failed to notice the TB was moved forward of the supercharger due to it being positive displacement.

Is it possible to copy that on an LN2? Maybe but bear in mind it would have to be on the back side and unlike on the quad 4 pic mentioned there is an axle spinning where you aim to mount the supercharger. You can't mount it on the front side of the engine due to the downpipe/exhaust running there.

Conundrum? Yup! But as I said above unless you simply want to do this to be totally different and push the envelope, it's a TON of work. He's better off getting a turbo manifold and turbo and piecing the rest together and calling it a day for 1/100th the headache and probably 1/2 the cost.

Just food for thought.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, June 25, 2012 10:25 AM
Since all this has been brought into light from Chris (thank you, very informative), I honestly think im probably gonna go the Turbo route now, the question is, should I build one and slowly piece it together? Or should I buy a certain kit? Hahn?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search