carbon fiber intake manifold - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
carbon fiber intake manifold
Saturday, June 09, 2012 5:02 PM
So as boredom sets in on this deployment i wanted to know everyones opinion on how a full carbon fiber fiber intake manifold would work out. The resin ill be using is the same resin we use around the exaust section on the V-22 and it holds up good to the 400 C temperatures so i feel confident that it would hold up to the heat of the cylinder head. the pros i see are lightweight and lower IAT and the obvious BA factor lol. I have full access to all the materials and I'm basically wanting to just see if i can actually make one. What do you all think

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)

Re: carbon fiber intake manifold
Saturday, June 09, 2012 5:09 PM
Saturday, June 09, 2012 6:25 PM
Saturday, June 09, 2012 6:32 PM
I say HELL YEA!!.. Go for it man and you should keep this going so we can keep up with the progress and dont be afraid to have it pic heavy...lol...Im tunned in!! Get it done..
Saturday, June 09, 2012 7:00 PM
Saturday, June 09, 2012 7:19 PM
^^^ Thats pretty dam cool..Its differant thats for sure but I like..
Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:15 AM
What kind of advantages would this have over the plastic manifolds as far as heat transfer, ect???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:34 AM
I dont see it working out. With what you are doing with your car, there will be a LOT of pressure in there. Im talking a LOT. Enough that I would see it either leaking or blowing apart. Especially the split second of the TB closing and between your BOV opening. Your best bet is to wrap an aluminum one with the CF...

Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:05 AM
to be honest i dont really have any intentions on running it on my car mainly just wanted to see if i could make one kind of a personal challenge i guess. the alum sheet metal one i have is going to work perfect for me with the phenolic spacer.

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:06 AM
carbon can be made pretty strong. just gotta layer the @!#$ out of it lol

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Monday, June 11, 2012 4:06 PM
ill prolly start on it here soon i have been learning how to tig weld so that has been my priority last couple of days

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:07 AM
i would just wonder about heat cycle and teh vibration and flex strain the manifold would feel bw teh intake road conditions etc. i think it would be sweet regardless.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:32 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:I dont see it working out. With what you are doing with your car, there will be a LOT of pressure in there. Im talking a LOT. Enough that I would see it either leaking or blowing apart. Especially the split second of the TB closing and between your BOV opening. Your best bet is to wrap an aluminum one with the CF...
When this happens, the space between the throttle body and BOV gets a small pressure spike, not the intake manifold... The manifold will only see whatever pressure he's boosting to. Right?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:11 AM
lol the carbon fiber will blow apart ..........

You all realize that you are extreamly underestimating the power and strength of carbon fiber!!
The new Lamborghinni Siesto Elemento is almost all carbon fiber.
And the Lexus LFA has a carbon fiber chasis thanks to the worlds first 3D carbon fiber weave technology.

If this is done right, I see no problems with high boost levels, even over 50 PSI!
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:37 AM
[ion wrote: C2]
BuiltNBoosted wrote:I dont see it working out. With what you are doing with your car, there will be a LOT of pressure in there. Im talking a LOT. Enough that I would see it either leaking or blowing apart. Especially the split second of the TB closing and between your BOV opening. Your best bet is to wrap an aluminum one with the CF...
When this happens, the space between the throttle body and BOV gets a small pressure spike, not the intake manifold... The manifold will only see whatever pressure he's boosting to. Right?

Yeah, I think he is just trying to find something to point out. Without realizing that he has it backwards. I'm sure the manifold will see a small spike, but it would be negligible.

CF manifolds are nothing new and they can hold up to extreme pressures.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:10 PM
Mike wrote:
[ion wrote: C2]

Yeah, I think he is just trying to find something to point out. Without realizing that he has it backwards. I'm sure the manifold will see a small spike, but it would be negligible.

CF manifolds are nothing new and they can hold up to extreme pressures.

thinking wrong. the force of them even when the tb closes you will have a shock in the charge pipe system as well as the intake manifold. I had a backfire in mine the other day starting it. Travis was there and can attest to it. That could have blown it apart. There is a reason intake manifolds have burst plates on them. The burst plates arent just for show.

With carbon fiber, the more surface area the stronger it will be. Making a log intake mani wont be nearly as strong in log form. If it was individual runners then it would a lot stronger.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:33 PM
Intake manifolds are tested for backfires by filling them with propane and lighting it.

This would give you the strength factor.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:34 PM
Some of the top dollar ITBs, such as those used on Formula Atlantic engines, are carbon fiber. If constructed well, there's nothing wrong with a CF intake. I say go for it.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:59 PM
Quote:

The new Lamborghinni Siesto Elemento is almost all carbon fiber.

The tech they developed in conjunction with Callaway (golf clubs maker) is more like plywood or particle board in that the direction of the individual carbon pieces is random instead of a fabric weave. Gives it much greater strength in all directions instead of traditional CF's one direction. Meaning they don't have to layer it, reducing build time, weight and cost.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:11 PM
supposidly carbon fiber is 5x stronger than steel.......

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:06 PM
Publikdstrbnce wrote:supposidly carbon fiber is 5x stronger than steel.......

Tensil strength it is.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:15 PM
We built a carbon fiber intake manifold for our FSAE car. Many teams ran cf intake manifolds. Do it now!

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:03 PM
gmanz24 (The Bash Whore) wrote:We built a carbon fiber intake manifold for our FSAE car. Many teams ran cf intake manifolds. Do it now!
Yeah, what he siad!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:17 AM
well i plan to start on it tonight ill take plenty of pics but wont be able to post them until i hit a port and get access to wifi and i know the carbon fiber will hold up the whole v22 is made out of it with no problems

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search