Supercharger on a 2.2 Ecotec question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Supercharger on a 2.2 Ecotec question
Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:01 PM
I currently have a 99 2.2L cavalier and recently purchased an ecotec donor car to swap into my 99 I am taking the motor and having the works on maintenance done to it before I put it in.I have already read on the how to's and I plan on having it in the car around august and in december start gathering everything I need to go supercharged. My question is how much WHP should I expect from the kit lets say if I had 60lbs injectors, bigger fuel pump, 2.5" full exhaust, the supercharger kit running a 3" pulley, a gm flash tune,and the motor on stock internals with 130K on it.

Re: Supercharger on a 2.2 Ecotec question
Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:44 PM
I believe the GM re-flash will only do 34 lb injectors. Bigger fuel pump won't help with power just life, unless you can tune for it either. I would go with HP tuners if you want to do the 3.0 and 60 lb injectors.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:49 PM
Well lets back this bus up a little....

First off a eco swap into a pre 2k car is a PITA and that's putting it nicely. I had a 2200 and swapped to a eco in my old car and wasn't worth the hassle. Id opt to turbo the 2200 if I was ever in that position again.

BUT....if you are dead set on the supercharged eco swap then its pretty self explanatory every single wire, fuel line, gas tank....everything has to be swapped over.

You wont be able to run 60/lb injectors on the reflash though...that's the major hiccup to your plan. With all that minus the 60's and running the required 36/ls'ers I would say you'll be in the 200-210 range. Now that being said with the LSJ pacesetter header, intercooling and a proper tune you could be in the 250-260 range.

The GM reflash sucks A S S! As does running non intercooled. I basically never bother going into boost in my car because of both those issues.

Get a proper tune if you do go that route.....it will make ALL the difference.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:00 PM
I tuned a stock Eco on 60's and stock fuel pump and a 2.8 pulley to 236whp.

as said the GM reflash sucks!

FU Tuning

Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:01 PM
Philly D wrote:Well lets back this bus up a little....

First off a eco swap into a pre 2k car is a PITA and that's putting it nicely. I had a 2200 and swapped to a eco in my old car and wasn't worth the hassle. Id opt to turbo the 2200 if I was ever in that position again.

BUT....if you are dead set on the supercharged eco swap then its pretty self explanatory every single wire, fuel line, gas tank....everything has to be swapped over.

You wont be able to run 60/lb injectors on the reflash though...that's the major hiccup to your plan. With all that minus the 60's and running the required 36/ls'ers I would say you'll be in the 200-210 range. Now that being said with the LSJ pacesetter header, intercooling and a proper tune you could be in the 250-260 range.

The GM reflash sucks A S S! As does running non intercooled. I basically never bother going into boost in my car because of both those issues.

Get a proper tune if you do go that route.....it will make ALL the difference.

Thanks for the info I never new that 60lbs injectors wont work with the GM flash. Yes, I know what I am getting myself into I have done plenty of research in advanced and understand what needs to be done to do the swap. I have my donor car with everything that I need to do it. I am just trying to figure out everything for a supercharger in the near future after my swap. I do plan on going intercooled too and getting a proper tune. I am still looking for advice and help with this

Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:04 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:I tuned a stock Eco on 60's and stock fuel pump and a 2.8 pulley to 236whp.

as said the GM reflash sucks!

Alright thanks I am starting to get an idea of what I am expecting depending on what I do

Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:18 AM
Philly D wrote:Now that being said with the LSJ pacesetter header, intercooling and a proper tune you could be in the 250-260 range.

That guesstimate seems alittle high. I say add cams, ported head, valvetrain, a smaller pulley(2.9-2.8), and meth and you'll be around there.

Always remember that M62s run hot and the smaller the pulley the more heat it will create. Water/meth and a good H/E system will help alot.

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:34 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
Philly D wrote:Now that being said with the LSJ pacesetter header, intercooling and a proper tune you could be in the 250-260 range.

That guesstimate seems alittle high. I say add cams, ported head, valvetrain, a smaller pulley(2.9-2.8), and meth and you'll be around there.

Always remember that M62s run hot and the smaller the pulley the more heat it will create. Water/meth and a good H/E system will help alot.

Yah....I was going off jucnboost's (sp?) numbers.......I was thinking the LSJ is going to flow better then the Tsudo.......probably a little optimistic but does show the difference of a proper tune.
Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:39 PM
I'd say 250 on a 5 speed is possible via a quality HPT tune. Just make sure your cooling mod's are there and you have the entire exhaust there to support it. I made 249 on a 3.0 without cams or meth. Run Both Phenolic spacers, dual pass, and the biggest H/E you can get, get a quality fuel pump like a Racetronix with the upgraded harness and drop your pulley to a 2.9 or 3.0 and I see no reason why you couldn't hit 250.....unless your up in Colorado or have crazy high temps were you live. I'm in the Chicagoland area and Qwk CAV tuned my car in roughly 70-75 degree weather.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:25 PM
JUCNBST wrote: I'd say 250 on a 5 speed is possible via a quality HPT tune. Just make sure your cooling mod's are there and you have the entire exhaust there to support it. I made 249 on a 3.0 without cams or meth. Run Both Phenolic spacers, dual pass, and the biggest H/E you can get, get a quality fuel pump like a Racetronix with the upgraded harness and drop your pulley to a 2.9 or 3.0 and I see no reason why you couldn't hit 250.....unless your up in Colorado or have crazy high temps were you live. I'm in the Chicagoland area and Qwk CAV tuned my car in roughly 70-75 degree weather.

alright thanks I live in Florida weather here changes a lot but doesnt really get that hot just humid , by the way where can I get a good exhaust?

Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:56 PM
Good luck withgoal, my exhaust was fab'd by atomic a while back. Try maybe custom tubes inc. I got a cat back from them and you'll just need someone to weld it together at the slip joints.

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:05 AM
Im going with mandrel exhaust systems exhaust.

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-Car-Exhaust-cln-Chevrolet-cln-95-dsh-05-Chevy-Cavalier/Categories
Nice and cheap and from what ive read on forums they do good work.
Monday, June 25, 2012 9:32 AM
the Stage1 (36lb) injectors will work okay with a stock fuel pump and are the ones setup for the stock GMreflash from the dealership.
I had mine custom tuned with the Stage2 (42.5lb) injectors, but ran the GMreflash just to be able to get the car running (very rich..but it ran).
Racetronix Jbody High performance pump (same pump used in highly modded Camaros and other V8's) and harness.
TTR LSJ Pace Setter header (larger 1.75" primaries with armor coating), then ran full 2.5" custom exhaust from a local shop. They did the highflo spun cat (basically a tube) with a 28" resonator and Borla Pro XS muffler, sounds amazing.
3.0" Smoothflow pulley, stage 1 belt, both Phenolic spacers, ZZP S3 h/e with dual pass end plate and option B tank setup, custom eBay catch can (you WILL need a catch can), and various little sensors and stuff.
NGK #6509 1 step colder plugs.
Dont forget your upper/lower motor mounts, these are essential with all this power.
But my tune has still not been tweaked properly and runs very rich at half/wot right now.

my only future mods without going into the motor will be: direct injection meth (intake manifold) and a 2.8" smoothflow pulley (then my stage2 belt should fit). but Im estimating 250whp on mine right now. And Im beating modded v8 mustangs and newer turboed cars and other supercharged jbodies with over double the boost im making (8lbs). ill get mine to the dyno soon and let you know, cause on my setup with a stock motor, i dont see how you can get much more since everything has been upgraded but the throttlebody and internals. Im curious to see what other stock internal m62 setups do whp-wise

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, June 25, 2012 3:14 PM
blu04DD wrote:Im curious to see what other stock internal m62 setups do whp-wise

I was at 230whp on a 2.9" and a safe tune before the Harrop.

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:02 PM
Do you have a video of your exhaust? i would like to hear how it sounds I have yet to come across a jbody with exhaust that I like I dont even like my own haha and where can I get the lsj header?

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:56 PM
TTR has the best price on the block for the LSJ header....just picked one up a few weeks back.

My buddy did a exhaust on his my old cav and it sounds damn good. All 2.5" piping, magnaflow cat, 24" magnaflow "resonator" and a magnaflow muffler it sounds great.

The biggest thing is to make sure you put the longest resonator you can fit in there and also keep the cat! It makes it sound much better with it in there.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:17 AM
Philly D wrote:TTR has the best price on the block for the LSJ header....just picked one up a few weeks back.

I second that.
Bought my pacesetter from TTR, cant beat the price or Aaron's exceptional customer service.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:12 AM
Philly D wrote:TTR has the best price on the block for the LSJ header....just picked one up a few weeks back.

My buddy did a exhaust on his my old cav and it sounds damn good. All 2.5" piping, magnaflow cat, 24" magnaflow "resonator" and a magnaflow muffler it sounds great.

The biggest thing is to make sure you put the longest resonator you can fit in there and also keep the cat! It makes it sound much better with it in there.

is this it http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=878&idcategory=510

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:52 PM
Nope, you need the one for the Cobalt SS/SC(LSJ).
Armor coated LSJ

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:09 PM
Ebay catch cans has nothing inside of them to catch nothing
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:29 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Nope, you need the one for the Cobalt SS/SC(LSJ).
Armor coated LSJ

alright thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search