What size pistons - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What size pistons
Friday, June 29, 2012 3:36 PM
I know I realy dont start alot of threads on hear but thats because when I have a question about something I start searching and reading (LOTS) and I find what Im in need of..I have been looking and doing research about piston sizes when boosting an Ecotec 2.2L and Im kinda stumped on what compresion size to get when I have the funds to get them. I also just wanna say that I was planning on building my own motor but decided not to and send everything to a pefesionall engine shop to get it done (Justice Racing Engines in Fredrick MD).The reason is I really dont wanna screw anything up and not having it 100% rite once its complete. So heres most of what Im gonna be getting and some of the parts I already have. Im listing all this so you know what my build is gonna consist of so I can get help on what compression size pistons to get..I have gotten a little info and help from Thrice but just want other opinions and advice aslo..That never hurts..This is also gonna be my DD also.. unless I can find a deacent little car for that.. Hope this list works and I can get some help..Thanks in advance!! If I forgot something just let me know thanks..

1) Weisco pistons (.020 over size) not sure on compression
2) Eagle rods = Already have
3) StageII PnP head with supertech valvetrain and 1mm oversise valves = Already have
4) Balance shaft delete kit = Already have
5) Cloyes timing kit
6) Hardened oil pump gears
7) Clivette 77 rod and main bearings = Already have
8) Arp Headstuds = Already have
9) Racetronix 255lph fuel pump
10) Airomotive Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
11) Injector Dynamics 750cc or 1000cc = Still not sure what size on these
12) Sheet metel Turbo intake mannifold = Already have
13) Comp turbo grind cams = Already have
14) Garrett 60 trim .63 A/R turbo = Already have
15) Block = Already have just waiting to get bored .020 over
16) 3 inch turbo back exhaust
17) Shooting for 350hp but would be stoked if I can get to around 400.

Re: What size pistons
Friday, June 29, 2012 4:30 PM
The diameter of the piston has little to do with the scr. Going. 020" over might give you. 10:1 additional compression. It has more to do with the piston height and type of piston surface. Obviously a dished piston will have a lower scr than a dome piston.

Everyone has an opinion on what scr to run with forced induction. It partially boils down to Turbo size and.goal boost levels.

I
Personally going to be running 15psi on the same Turbo and will be running right around 10:1 scr. I chose to go a little higher to help with low end out of boost.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, June 29, 2012 5:26 PM
Basically the lower compression will decrease power when you are not in boost, but should be easier to tune. The higher compression will make more power when you are not in boost, should take less psi to make the same power are a lower CR engine, and you will need a lot better tune.

Personally i would run the stock 10:1 CR.

Error: Sig not found.

Friday, June 29, 2012 5:44 PM
Ok so I will be fine ordering (when the time comes) the Weisco 10:1 .020 oversize then rite..Im not going for overkill and will be getting tunned for 15psi also. As you can see im aslo still not sure on what size injectors to get..Im leaning more twords the 750cc but not sure if I will max out the duty cycle or not..I know I can get the 1000cc and maybee turn the fuel rail pressure down for them but dont know if the 1000cc will hurt me in idle and low RPM.but I have read that a couple guys are running the 1000cc and have no trouble when in idle and low RPM..so Im kinda a little confused on that also..lol..But I REALY appreciate the help and info on this guys..If maybee you could help me out on the size injectors to get also that would be greatly appreciated..
Friday, June 29, 2012 6:58 PM
if you go with the ID1000 then you will have 0 problems getting the car to idle good im at 7%idc at idle around the same cruising. Honestly i would recommend going with the 1000cc just because you are going to eventually want more power idc what you say now i wish i would have went with the ID2000 because at 650whp im going to be pushing the 1000cc injectors close to their max. Build sounds pretty solid and you should easily meet your goals albeit might take a lil more airflow then the 15 psi altho i could be wrong i cant remember what your head flows hope this info helps.

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Friday, June 29, 2012 8:44 PM
Awesome news Miller. and DDAMNN 650 hp thats an effin monster bro!!.So this really got my questions answred and VERY stoked about it..So that sums this issue up for me.Im gonna go with the 10:1 pistons and gonna go with the 1000cc injectors..Thanks a bunch guys for the help!! Also with me getting this job that I should start by this Tuesday the rest of my parts should be rolling in pretty quick.. Im searching and doing lots of reading on another issue but if I cant get this 100% figured out im thinking I will have to start a thread in the tunning section.. Thanks again guys for the help and info!!!
Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:48 AM
You won't need ID1000s... I am running Racetronx 850cc and have plenty of fuel left, even @ 28psi with a 3076...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:45 AM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:You won't need ID1000s... I am running Racetronx 850cc and have plenty of fuel left, even @ 28psi with a 3076...

Ryan i know that he doesnt need them but if it were me i would get the 1000cc even tho at his power levels it will be overkill. But it will give him more then enough room to grow down the road and he will never run out of fuel. Apart from me and fetter i dont think anyone else will have a use for an injector bigger then the 1000cc.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:27 AM
MillerBilt Racing wrote: Apart from me and fetter i dont think anyone else will have a use for an injector bigger then the 1000cc.
I will, very soon.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, June 30, 2012 12:51 PM
I didnt know they made the 850cc injectors..huh..But yea Im sure later on down the road I will eventually wanna upgrade the turbo and probably have to upgrade the turbo manni also.. But yea if I can get away with the 850cc and not have to worry about maxing out the duty cycle then I guess it wont hurt to get those..Also when it comes time for me wanting to upgrade I will prob be going with something in the lines of a 3076 also..Hey Ryan when it comes time for me to get a tune how would I go about you getting that done for me?? If its possible to get you to do it..
Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:24 PM
8.9:1 for boost and 10:1 for normally aspirated (non forced induction)

We carry them on our site, ship them daily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:24 PM

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!

Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:09 PM
Really?? 8.9:1.. Thought I could just go with the 10:1 and be good to go.. I know a few guys running 10:1 and gonna be in the high 300s and maybee close to 400hp.. Like BuiltnBoosted for example..
Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:12 PM
Sorry for the double post but this is why I posted this thread I just dont know what size I will need.. If it counts its still gonna be a DD
Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:37 PM
go with the 10:1

Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:53 PM
agreed, go with the 10:1's. I think Fetter might be able to order them from you. Thats where I would get them.

As for injectors, once I get mine running if your goal is 350-400, thats where I should be with some 750cc injectors. I made 323hp on some 42.5# injectors. I wish I would have logged the pulls so that I could show what my IDC was. But Ryan wont let it go above 80% so if my 42.5#ers made 323 @ 80%... shouldnt need a ton bigger than that.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 3:20 PM
Ok well thats what im GONNA DO..10:1 it is!! Yea once I have the money Im gonna defanetly get up with him ordering them for me and Im also gonna see if he can hook me up with a nice turbo manni also..if he has the time when Im ready..Im also looking to spend at least $800 for a good top mount. I know there a little pricey but Im one of those that doesnt mind paying top dollar for good quality parts instead of trying to findways to cheap out on parts and not have a gret quallity build and turbo kit!! But as far as the injectors Im not planning on going for ALOT more power any time soon so Im just gonna get me a set of 850cc that way I know when the time comes I wont have to get another set if injectors when I do..But yea guys Im really glad you guys helped me out on this and I know the insite and info is GOOD because you guys know your ish!! Thanks..Oh yea Vince you get my PM
Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:04 PM
When it gets to that time, let me know. If you can fly me out, I'm sure we can work something out....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:17 PM
Damn Ryan you for real bro.. Man I have NO problem what so ever doing that man and of course paying you to do that for me also!!!Oh and I will DEFF let you know buddy.. Think I can shoot you a PM and talk to ya about something??
Monday, July 02, 2012 3:27 PM
Honda tech 750 RC inj
there is a set of 750cc for sale on honda tech for 175

Monday, July 02, 2012 8:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up man dont have cash just yet and Im only seeing a set of the ID 2000cc injectors..and def dont need that big..lol.. If there used I prob wont get them just for the fact that everything is gonna be new and fresh in my build and would perferr fresh injectors.But when the time comes and I can find a used set with like less than.. lets say 100 miles on them Id prob do it . Just because my luck being shyt dont want to have an issue with used injectors ..I really appreciate that tho man!!
Monday, July 02, 2012 10:06 PM
Buy used to save and send them out for cleaning and flow matching. I plan to send mine back to rec engineering even though they have very little time on them and look brand new.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 7:15 AM
Cool Dsmskyline..To tell you the truth man I never thought about sending a set of used injectors out to be flow tested..Must have slipped my mind..lol..But Im already in the process of setting up a buy with LAFNGAS on some ID 750cc.But if something happens and that dont go threw I mite see if I cant find a good deal on a NICE used set..Thanks for the heads up tho buddy (DSMSyyline)..
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 6:35 PM
yeah the ones that were on HT were rc 750 bout half way down the page but it was in the june classifieds and they haven't been reposted in july yet

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:02 PM
Yea thats cool bro (Miller).. Thanks for the heads up tho!!..
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:19 PM
yeah man ill still keep my eyes peeled for them on other forums if you would like

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search