Supercharging 2.2 Ecotec from Cobalt SS - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Supercharging 2.2 Ecotec from Cobalt SS
Thursday, July 05, 2012 3:49 PM
Alright, I have done my best in rereading all other posts and forums for complete answers, but now I just want to check. I have just bought a full supercharged kit from a guy's 06 Cobalt SS. It will go on my 05 Sunfire. He says he doesnt have an injector harness, so there is one thing I will need. Next, I already know I need my ECU reprogrammed and I will be getting it reflashed at a GM dealership. Now, I read that the LSJ throttle body will not fit without a an adapter plate. Would I need a 2.2 ecotec adapter? Second, what about my fuel rail? The injectors he will be giving me are stock from the cobalt, do I need injector cups/spacers? Third, about that boost gauge.. Im pretty sure Cobalt's have a boost gauge molded into their dash, therefore I will not be recieving one. Thank you everyone that replies, its appreciated Any other parts that may not fit, could anyone chime in? This is going to be a big project that will be installed quickly so I just want to get everything that is neccessary before I start. Thanks again

Re: Supercharging 2.2 Ecotec from Cobalt SS
Thursday, July 05, 2012 3:54 PM
all of your answers are on this forum in the boost section. i know that 100% for sure. please search each item seperately and you will find your answers.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:12 PM
Just a heads up you may not be able to get your computer reflashed at a dealership, I know people have had issues with them not doing it. I sent a spare one I bought to Exatorq and they were able to get the flash for me. Brian over there is a great guy to deal with and I have had no issues with it thus far, all that had to be done was do a pass lock re learn since the computer was not originally in my car. Also check out this thread, its all about the M62 setup M62 Guide.

Dave

Thursday, July 05, 2012 6:12 PM
All your answers...
Ultimate M62 Guide

Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:30 PM
Why isnt that a sticky yet?!?! It would save people a ton of searching!
Friday, July 06, 2012 6:27 AM
I know right^, some people think it makes forums cluttered, F that, the more correct info at the top, less constant questions and less people saying search.... i digress...

Friday, July 06, 2012 7:16 AM
Sorry guys I tried to search as much as I could, I fould that M62 guide about a half an hour after I started this post. For future reference these two forum posts were useful:

http://gmscf.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2052

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?15068-Supercharger-parts-list-instructions

And I came with the conclusion that I will need spacers for the injectors for my injector rail that I can buy from a department store, and a tb adapter because the LSJ tb is electronic where the 2.2's are not. Can someone confirm these two things are the only thing I will be needing?

I also read I will need to grind something, is that right? I really wish I didnt have to.. Thanks for everyone's patience
Friday, July 06, 2012 8:28 AM
Yes, spacers are needed for LSJ injectors in a 03-05 rail. You can also swap to an 02 rail for a direct fit on the injectors.

You can't use the LSJ throttle body, it's electronically controlled and the j-body is cable driven. You need an adapter, Katech still sells them new (there is a link in my guide that I posted), and they can be found used.

And yes, you need to grind the area behind the lift hook on the head to make clearance for the LSJ tensioner. 5 min with a Dremel will do it, or even a hand file if needed. You don't need to remove much.

Friday, July 06, 2012 12:04 PM
...yeah so much info in our builds on here, but if i didnt do a build on here i have one on ecotecforum (http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?16744-2004-Cavalier-s-c-build).

I used from my 04 cavalier:
stock 04 fuel rail
stock fuel injector harness
stock throttlebody (with Katech adapter which runs about $125 shipped i believe)

Borrowed 06 SS/SC parts:
intake manifold
supercharger
you can use the stock pulley with the Stage1 belt all the way down to about a 3.0" pulley, anything smaller will require the Stage2 (and dont go smaller from stock unless you run a good cooling setup).
idler pulley/bracket
tensioner pulley/bracket
alternator (you can use the L61 alternator but i wouldnt, it'll spin backwards and i believe is also less output)
Stage1 belt

Take what you're planning on spending, and double it. Thats what you'll spend lol. Im probably missing al ot but those are the basics. Dont rush it and have someone confident do your wiring bits...for the sensors and stuff. You want to make sure your wiring is good because you have to splice. Talk to Austin (ScrapZ) and see if maybe he's willing to explain what needs to be done on that, he did mine and did a great job.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, July 06, 2012 12:11 PM
Woah you used your stock injector harness? With the Cobalt's 32# injectors? And @!#$, I dont remember reading anything about the alternator doing that..
Friday, July 06, 2012 12:15 PM
pyromechanic wrote:Woah you used your stock injector harness? With the Cobalt's 32# injectors? And @!#$, I dont remember reading anything about the alternator doing that..

what other harness would you use...the stock l61 harness plugs right into the lsj's stock 36 lbs injectors just fine...and yes the l61 alternator will spin backwards...

Friday, July 06, 2012 1:45 PM
i have stage2, 42.5lb injectors. and they also plug directly in, no issues.
and yeah the alternator is a higher output too, and spins in the correct direction vs the L61 alternator on this setup.

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:08 PM
I wouldn't worry about the getting the cobalt SS S/C alternator. Many people run the stock cavalier one just fine. Its more of a nice to have part. Mine has been running fine for over a year.
Friday, July 06, 2012 2:31 PM
The l61 alternator will work just fine. The only difference in the LSJ alt is a slighty higher amperage, and since the fins are designed to spin in the direction it is, it cools itself a bit better...the l61 alt will spin backwards because of rerouting the belt, but it's really not an issue. The original GMPP was designed with re-using the stock alternator.

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:34 PM
My stock L61 alternator has been fine after 3-4 years of spinning backwards.

Error: Sig not found.

Friday, July 06, 2012 5:58 PM
mine was part of the whole 'supercharger package'. Cant complain for an entire supercharger setup for $500 including all the spare parts i was able to sell

Friday, July 06, 2012 6:04 PM
blu04DD wrote:mine was part of the whole 'supercharger package'. Cant complain for an entire supercharger setup for $500 including all the spare parts i was able to sell

my whole "package" that i bought was the ported and polished blower, mani, 2 fuel rails, 36 lbs injectors that were part of the oiginal kit, new tmap and harness, h/e pump brakcet, cobra heat exchagner. all gaskets and nuts and bolts, a meth kit, and some misc. stuff...900 bucks. then i bought the lsj alternator for 60 form css.net.

Friday, July 06, 2012 6:13 PM
a whole package for sub-$1k is a steal! specially a port and polished m62...i spent all my money on the supporting mods from the fuel pump to the exhaust and upgraded to smaller pulley/bigger injectors/bigger heat exchanger and some ZZP parts. quality was able to be spent because of the deal on the main parts of the s/c setup.

be patient and you can find a great deal on a s/c setup and surprise people even with moderate turbos. i love seeing more s/c setups in the 'fleet' of jbodies!

Friday, July 06, 2012 6:31 PM
yeah my blower came with 3 diff pulleys. i put the 3 inch on, i already have i/h/e all that before, already have the fuel pump and AFPR before. i planned mine for almost 3 years before i pulled the trigger and installed it. i have maybe 1200 total into my blower build.

Friday, July 06, 2012 7:19 PM
haha...i planned my turbo setup then bought the s/c setup on a whim and planned the install for like a month lol. impulse buyer?..guilty!

but i dont regret it. i love driving in traffic and hearing that whine and seeing a G37 next to me gun it and see him slowly fall behind...then the next stop light see them glaring...and i just look forward, take a sip of my drink, and drive off casually

Friday, July 06, 2012 7:49 PM
Okay I am starting to get annoyed of how people are getting hasty with me.. How did you all figure out about the things you are talking about? I doubt you paid excessive money to check and see if things fit or not.

Anyways, thanks, I guess..

Friday, July 06, 2012 8:05 PM
hasty? its all trial and error my friend. i didnt learn about a lot of stuff until i installed stuff and it didnt work. but there are enough setups now to know whats what.

most of us did everything ourselves or with the help of a fellow cav enthusiast, so what questions do you have on specific things? tinkles and evil for instance and a wealth of knowledge.

Saturday, July 07, 2012 5:10 AM
I usually spend a bunch of time reading up on here about a "big" install so i can gain some insight from those who have done it before. We all had to start somewhere. I had a decently long thread going that i just dumped all of my S/C questions into during my install.

Error: Sig not found.

Saturday, July 07, 2012 6:08 PM
No need to get annoyed. If you have a question or feel you need more clarification on something ask. Yes it might have been asked before but the only thing that will happen in that case is we will point you in the right direction. The only dumb question is the one that's not asked if you don't feel comfortable about putting something like this into your car without more details that's what we're here for.
Saturday, July 07, 2012 6:22 PM
^thanks Red! I appreciate everyone's help, and I didnt mean to get annoyed before, I had other stuff I had to deal with. And i only said stuff cause i noticed the forum bleeped out my s.h.i.t. Haha well I have one last question that is very fuzzy on all other forums and posts. This "t map" sensor.. The donor cobalt ss im taking everything from says he will onlly be supplying me with the map sensor. I asked him about the iat sensor then and he said there is no need for a iat because the map reads temperature. I got confused there, and then also when I asked him if it was the stock sensor that the cobalt came with, which I knew would answer my question.. He said it was.. Can anyone explain this? lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search