Supercharging 2.2 Ecotec from Cobalt SS - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Supercharging 2.2 Ecotec from Cobalt SS
Saturday, July 07, 2012 6:48 PM
As far as i know the sensor from the cobalt is just a map senor and will not work in you case since you will be running the re-flash it has to be a 2.5bar t-map senor. I know the cobalt has 2 IAT senors one pre-charger one post-charger so that map would just be a map (again don't know 100% ) . Someone here should be able to confirm for sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 07, 2012 6:50 PM

Saturday, July 07, 2012 7:12 PM
The tmap is a combo of an IAT and MAP sensor (this plugs into the intake manifold), you will need this if running the GM reflash. You'll cut off the connectors for your stock map and iat, and splice the wiring into the tmap harness. There is a wiring diagram in my m62 guide that I linked earlier in this thread.
The cobalt also uses a pre blower map, as RED mentioned, which the j-body will not utilize. This is the one in the inlet of the blower. You can either leave it there to keep the hole plugged, or plug it with something else (read my m62 guide for what I used).

Saturday, July 07, 2012 9:03 PM
This post here has links to the actual sensor and plug you will need to run the GM re flash. Read a couple posts down and you will find it.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=187042&t=187042
Sunday, July 08, 2012 11:37 PM
yeah once you buy the sensor and plug, i just had my stock wiring harness spliced into it. then the sensor on the top of your blower becomes a dummy to block the hole. you can use a bolt cap and turn it upside down and plug the hole..i have have yet to do that.
ignore the yellow arrow, was a pic for something else..but you can see the sensor on the far left of the IM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 08, 2012 11:38 PM

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:36 PM
I haven't been on the thread in awhile, I still haven't gotten my kit. And okay, thanks for the picture now I know where it goes.. haha but what does a stock 06 cobalt ss have in there? A map sensor? And it doesn't look like I'm able to find a sensor for cheap from anyone, I'll have to buy the new 80$ one and maybe even the 85$ harness for it.. :/ I'll just wait to see what I get with the kit and make a decision from there. And oh! What about the ss's stock heat exchanger? He'll be giving me one, but I'm starting to think I won't have room.. any thoughts?
Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:00 AM
Mustang Cobra Heat exchanger is a great option if wanting lower price sued H/E, though if you want a good aftermarket get a ZZperformance S3, worth every penny from what I've read and heard from people.

The stock cobalt H/E wont fit on our cars, so you wont be able to use it. Re-sell it on cobaltss.net

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:00 AM
$50 TMAP.

The stock H/E is thin and might fit in front of the radiator/condenser if you can figure out what to do with the inlet and outlet. I highly recommend ZZP's S3 H/E instead.

Error: Sig not found.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:26 AM
bmotorsports.com FTW!
Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:21 AM
Crap..Thats what I thought.. Yeah im only getting the best for this thing so Ill look into a stage 3 zzp heat exchanger. Hopefully someone is selling one used.. Anyways hey that sensor is a little cheaper, so thats good lol but what about the harness?
Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:17 PM
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/109_136/products_id/1626

I think thats the right one.....youd have to check but I know they have it on the site
Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:53 PM
^that doesnt look right man.. haha and now I am getting a zzp s3 h/e, but Ill still have the lsj's ic pump, it should work i think. back to that pcm/ecu or whatever anyone wants to call it, is ours the same as the lsj's? id want to get like a stage 2 pcm but idk..

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:09 PM
pyromechanic wrote: I am getting a zzp s3 h/e, but Ill still have the lsj's ic pump, it should work i think.

It will work just fine, that is the same combo i am running along with 99.99% of the other people who are running the S3.

pyromechanic wrote: back to that pcm/ecu or whatever anyone wants to call it, is ours the same as the lsj's? id want to get like a stage 2 pcm but idk..

Not even remotely. A custom HP Tuners tune or a Trifecta tune is better anyway since it is specific for you mods.

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:58 AM
I thought it could have been remotely, cause the GMPP stage upgrades talk about the cobalt ss's and redline's along with anyone who purchased and has the GM supercharger kit for their cavalier or sunfire. How are they supposed to put on their stage 2 kits? Er 1 or 3, depending on what you want of course.
Friday, July 13, 2012 4:02 PM
The stage kits were not designed for our cars....they were designed for the 05 and up ss's
Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:14 AM
I remembering reading on of one of the gmpp descriptions that they were, either that, or its my imagination.
Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:17 AM
Yah..the mechanical parts fit but the tune would not as our computers are completely different and not compatible.
Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:28 AM
Philly D wrote:Yah..the mechanical parts fit but the tune would not as our computers are completely different and not compatible.

Yep, the car wont even start on a LSJ PCM. The trigger wheels are different patterns and the OS of the LSJ PCM is completely different. All it is is a "Stage 2" paperweight.

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:00 PM
Last thing to be shipped is the charger itself, going to check everything again. Getting worried of how difficult this will be, I have a lot of crap to install.. Also dont know if I should use the the trifecta way, or gm reflash.. Leaning toward the reflash cause its cheaper, cause how much more could i even expect to get with trifecta? maybe 20 hp increase?
Monday, July 23, 2012 9:52 PM
HPT is the best option, Trifecta is the 2nd best, and the reflash is the last ditch choice. You wont see a 20whp increase from the crapflash to a trifecta tune, but you will gain ALOT more reliability. The crapflash is utter junk. I refused to sell my crapflashed ECU(people offer to buy it) because i couldnt pass that @!#$ty of a tune on to someone and still have sleep well at nigh. My cousin and I ended up destroying it with an AK-47, AR-15, and 1lb of Tannerite.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:09 AM
HPT is not an option for me because I do not know how to tune.. And how I see Trifecta and the reflash, supposedly Vince makes our m62's run a little rich, which is exactly what I heard the reflash does.. So for an extra 200$, Im pretty much paying for a 5 hp increase and maybe some reliability? I put safety first, and Im sure GM does too. Idk..What is so wrong with the reflash that you found? Haha
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:25 AM
The re-flash is VERY rich and VERY conservative. Some people have had random drive ability issues with the MP62 re-flash.

You could make the trip down to Dayton to have Ryan @ PNPTuning tune your car. He is one of the best tuners around for J-bodies.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:36 PM
pyromechanic wrote:HPT is not an option for me because I do not know how to tune.. And how I see Trifecta and the reflash, supposedly Vince makes our m62's run a little rich, which is exactly what I heard the reflash does.. So for an extra 200$, Im pretty much paying for a 5 hp increase and maybe some reliability? I put safety first, and Im sure GM does too. Idk..What is so wrong with the reflash that you found? Haha

I dont know how to tune either. With Trifecta, Vince sends out a base tune, you load it, run it, datalog it and then you send the datalogs back to him and he'll write you a better tune. Lather, rinse, repeat. The reflash is a one shot deal with no hope of improving. The biggest(UNSAFE) issue i had with the reflash is that it would randomly richen up to 5:1 or more(wideband couldnt read it). The car would buck, sputter, and no matter what i did it would not accelerate. I had to pull over(if i could) and restart the car, then it would be fine for a random amount of time and do it again. There were times on the highway where i couldnt pull over and had to shut the car down and restart it while doing ~50mph on the highway.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:22 PM
^^Crazy!! Mine does that as well every once and a while. I thought my tps was just acting up!
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:25 PM
I swapped TPSs a few times and it finally stopped doing it when i ditched the reflash.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:28 PM
Woah I was going to say that that doesnt sound right and it was probably a few sensors or a shortage somewhere.. But Philly chiming in and saying that that happened with him too, yeah I guess Im stuck with Trifecta.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search