my m62 install day, need opinions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my m62 install day, need opinions
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:29 PM
Hey guys, I've finally brought my car to see some boost
Do have some questions and need opinions. I've searched and found partial answers. Appreciate the input.

Q1: What spark plugs and where to buy?
Q2: Is there a cheaper bypass valve for the sc other than $100 from zzp?
Q3: What is like a reasonably priced boost gauge?
Q4: What is the smallest size pulley you recommend to be safe on stock internals on the GM reflash?

Had enough yet? Well...
Q5: I am currently getting sputtering and misfires mostly in cylinder two. Fuel compression is good, no leaks from intake manifold. I swapped coil packs and it went away for 5min and came back again. CEL is on and if I really get into boost it starts flashing. Car sounds like it's hitting the rev limiter.. kinda nice Any other possible causes other than spark plugs?

Re: my m62 install day, need opinions
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:31 PM
Oh, and here are some pics.. just in case anybody likes pictures.

My setup:
Stock 3.4 pulley
Dual pass endplate
Cobra-like heat exchanger
GM reflash

Mmm.. my favorite

Thanks people!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:53 PM
stock plugs are ok. if you want you can go one step colder.

i am running a 3.0 on my blower all stock motor, heat exchanger no spacers or anything.

with proper cooling, you should be good to the 3.0 on the GM reflash.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:02 PM
1. These gaped down to spec http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RLXDYQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00. AC Delco stock ones should be fine as well for the most part.
2. ZZP has the cheapest price I have found.
3.Glowshift.com has some of the nicer cheap boost guages (like $40)
4. I think 3.2-3.1 is safe from what I have read.
5. Did you get new injectors or used? Mine does that every once in a while and I'm positive it is the injectors leaking, but when it did it I got injector open circuit code and misfire.

Not to be a dick, but most of this stuff is from this awesome thread (Not sure why it isn't a sticky)
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=183438&t=183438

Your setup looks NICE! hope you get your issues fixed.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:34 PM
I use stock srt4 plugs there 1 step colder and have had no problems and always in stock at parts store

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:28 AM
john wrote:I use stock srt4 plugs there 1 step colder and have had no problems and always in stock at parts store

SRT4 plugs are not the correct length and can cause issues.

1. NGK LTR6IX-11 is the correct plug for 1 step colder.(same exactly length as stock plugs).
2. I am not sure, i have never needed to buy one.
3. Im running an Autometer Sport-Comp. I like it and havent had to replace it yet after 3-4 years.
4. 3.1" A few people have reported that they lean out in the higher RPMS with a 3.0" pulley and the GM crapflash.
5A. I experienced spark blow out with my stock ACDelco plugs. I gapped my NGKs at ~35 and i have been fine.
5B. Also try moving your injectors to different cylinders. If the misfire follows then it is your injectors.
5C. The GM crapflash SUCKS at best. It gave me plenty of headaches, so i wouldnt rule it out.

Error: Sig not found.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:44 PM
Mr. Newb - I have read that build guide, wanted to get more opinions though. No harm in that
Tinkles - Just ordered the NGKs from eBay. Do you happen to have a picture of your autometer boost gauge? I will try moving the injectors around, thanks for that.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:16 PM

That is the one i have.

Error: Sig not found.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:04 AM
I think I got your reply on the ecotec forum, but just thought Id chime in here too...

Q1: What spark plugs and where to buy? i used the NGK #6509's, $9/each at NAPA - 1 colder
Q2: Is there a cheaper bypass valve for the sc other than $100 from zzp? not sure why you need a new one unless yours is worn, but any SS/SC one will do, these last a long time usually (check cobaltss.net maybe?)
Q3: What is like a reasonably priced boost gauge? Im using one that says "D-spec" on it, 7-step gauge with a bunch of features and looks really nice(pics below)
Q4: What is the smallest size pulley you recommend to be safe on stock internals on the GM reflash? i read multiple sources that you shouldnt go smaller than a 3.2/3.1 on the GMreflash and its for 36lb (stage1)injectors. I ran it on mine for roughly 50miles though with a 3.0" smooth flow just to get it to my datalogger/tuner so it would at least run..but it was rough.

Q5: I am currently getting sputtering and misfires mostly in cylinder two. Fuel compression is good, no leaks from intake manifold. I swapped coil packs and it went away for 5min and came back again. CEL is on and if I really get into boost it starts flashing. Car sounds like it's hitting the rev limiter.. kinda nice Any other possible causes other than spark plugs? all of my misfires went away (#2 cylinder as well) when i removed my intake manifold and reinstalled it with a good tight fit. so you may think your im is not leaking, but spray around the edge of it with it running and see if the car tries to die at all. also, what bolts did you go with for your intake manifold? did you tap for M8s or do M8-M6 shoulder bolts? running a spacer in there at all?

car is lookin good man, cant wait to see what numbers you put down and to hear about some of your victories soon!

here are my gauges on the lowest setting:

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, July 09, 2012 7:13 PM
Misfires and sputtering is all gone. NGK LTR16x spark plugs and fixed
blue04DD - i am not sure what bolts on the intake manifold, cobalt ones? no spacer.
will be ordering the autometer boost gauge and seeing if i can fix my "E-8" error on my stupid Innovate wideband.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:27 PM
you get the intake manifold bolts figured out? were you able to reuse the stock cobalt IM bolts? In theory you shouldnt be able to without tapping out the head to M8 size threading...But it is VERY important to use shoulders at least so the bolts cant move around..they will break off like mine did after a while. or tap out the M6 threading to M8 and use the stock Cobalt bolts.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:10 AM
blu04DD wrote:But it is VERY important to use shoulders at least so the bolts cant move around..they will break off like mine did after a while. or tap out the M6 threading to M8 and use the stock Cobalt bolts.

Yes it is. I had to heli-coil one hole in my cylinder head because one stock bolt broke.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search