Just picked up 3 gt12 turbo's... any ideas? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just picked up 3 gt12 turbo's... any ideas?
Monday, July 16, 2012 10:19 PM
Just snatched 3 Garett turbos for $100. they're tiny. They have EC-1 stamped on the comp. housing, and NO GT12 on the middle part. They're in pretty good shape.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to use them?

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/

Re: Just picked up 3 gt12 turbo's... any ideas?
Monday, July 16, 2012 10:26 PM
Paperweights

In all seriousness though, since new ones are still going on Ebay for $600+, I'd resell them for a profit if I were you. You'll certainly be running a fool's errand trying to use them on a J-body.

Either that or find a go-kart or lawnmower that you want to make stupid-fast...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, July 16, 2012 11:02 PM
Damn, that's what I figured.
I knew it was a good deal so I couldn't pass it up. You don't think its at all possible to run 2 at once? Low boost

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:04 PM
Where are you going to get a manifold for them? Can you weld? Just resell them and get a setup off a sabb or peice togethe a quality setup.

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:19 PM
I can weld, but I would tack up a manifold, then take it to my fab guy.

Best place to sell them? eBay? I only have 1 feedback lol.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:55 AM
Run one turbo then run that one Into the other two. Sequential turbo setup. One spools the other two. Maybe if you run all 3 sequentially you can have boost at or just above idle lol.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:07 AM
So you don't think 2 of these on a manifold w/ 2 cylinders going to each one will provide anything at all? damn I wish I had a go-kart

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:01 AM
Try it. Will it be a pain and potentially waste of time? Most likely, but if it works, you've got nothing to lose. It would be one unique setup. You could also do them in a remote mount/rear mount setup to make the welding easier. Might not be the most efficient way, but it would be unique. Tri-turbo cavy. Hmm.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:16 AM
Now if you only had four....you could do one per port...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:22 AM
never understood why people buy useless crap because it's cheap...

its still useless crap at the end of the day.

waste of $100 IMO.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:19 PM
--Boosted Z-- wrote:Try it. Will it be a pain and potentially waste of time? Most likely, but if it works, you've got nothing to lose. It would be one unique setup. You could also do them in a remote mount/rear mount setup to make the welding easier. Might not be the most efficient way, but it would be unique. Tri-turbo cavy. Hmm.

What is remote mount/rear mount? and how would you suggest running them? 1 has a bad waste gate housing btw.

I agree that they're probably not the best solution for a cavi, but this may be a very interesting build haha.

I think I'm going to go through with this running 2 of them. If I can find a 4th for cheap, then 1 per port. My goal is 5psi lol. I ordered an exhaust flange, and a bunch of schedule 30 pipe. Still have to order flanges for the turbos.

I need suggestions on the best way to run these!
The plan so far for the manifold is to tack it up, then have it welded solid by my guy. of course while bolted to a spare head. Any ideas on how to route 2 of these? I'm thinking cyl 1 and 3 going to 1 turbo, the cyl 2 and 4 to the other. Unless I have the firing order wrong. I have to look that up. OPTION B would be pretty much a log with 2 turbo flanges. Input?

This is not going to be intercooled, unless for some odd reason I get good boost. There will be no downpipes, again unless I get reasonable boost. Will running the turbo's w/o a downpipes mess with the performance? If that's the case, then just open downpipes.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:00 AM
A remote mount or rear mount setup is where the turbo/turbos go farther down the exhaust stream. The most common place is where the muffler is. Its a lot easier to do a custom setup that way. The only main differences are that you need a oil scavenge pump to pump the oil back up to the engine from the turbos and you'll be routing charge pipes under the car up the the front. STS is the main company that made that setup start to become popular. I know there's one member on here who did it to his wife's J. I have a remote setup on another vehicle of mine and plan to do it to my vette soon. People talk about remote setups having a lot of turbo lag, but that just is not true if the turbo is sized right. I have no more lag than I would with a traditional setup on mine.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:29 AM
Eric Knight wrote:
--Boosted Z-- wrote:Try it. Will it be a pain and potentially waste of time? Most likely, but if it works, you've got nothing to lose. It would be one unique setup. You could also do them in a remote mount/rear mount setup to make the welding easier. Might not be the most efficient way, but it would be unique. Tri-turbo cavy. Hmm.

What is remote mount/rear mount? and how would you suggest running them? 1 has a bad waste gate housing btw.

I agree that they're probably not the best solution for a cavi, but this may be a very interesting build haha.

I think I'm going to go through with this running 2 of them. If I can find a 4th for cheap, then 1 per port. My goal is 5psi lol. I ordered an exhaust flange, and a bunch of schedule 30 pipe. Still have to order flanges for the turbos.

I need suggestions on the best way to run these!
The plan so far for the manifold is to tack it up, then have it welded solid by my guy. of course while bolted to a spare head. Any ideas on how to route 2 of these? I'm thinking cyl 1 and 3 going to 1 turbo, the cyl 2 and 4 to the other. Unless I have the firing order wrong. I have to look that up. OPTION B would be pretty much a log with 2 turbo flanges. Input?

This is not going to be intercooled, unless for some odd reason I get good boost. There will be no downpipes, again unless I get reasonable boost. Will running the turbo's w/o a downpipes mess with the performance? If that's the case, then just open downpipes.

My IQ dropped 5 points reading this...

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:11 PM
Eric - Please sell the turbos, and spend the money you get back, on this book. Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

After you've read through the first couple chapters, and have a reasonable understanding of how a turbo/turbo system work, come back and re-read that post Darren just quoted. Then, and only then, will you understand why he quoted it, and then and only then, will anyone take you seriously.

Not trying to be a dick, but learning is needed before anyone should make a post on this site. GL with selling the turbos.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:29 AM
Alright. Thanks guys. They're getting sold.

I understand, and accept the brute honesty. When I got into car audio, the people at DIYMA flamed me to @!#$ when I first started posting. This made me rethink, and mativated me to doing things right. Not to mention my car's stereo sounds like an angels harp after the whole experience.

I ordered a T3 manifold, with a external waste gate flange, and I'm going to take the time to save for a quality turbo. I'll take it slow, and come back here when I'm a little more knowledgeable. And I ordered/downloaded that book, thrice. Looking forward to a good read lol.

</thread>

Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:30 AM
glad to see you're listening to us.

you will one day look back on this thread and shake your head in disbelief at yourself.

its happened to us all.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:52 AM
Haha yeah. In 7 days with no reserve they'll be gone.

Any suggestions as to what turbo to actually buy for an l61? More specifically, the a/r and trim size for a garrett T3/To4e. 57 trim and .63 a/r Or 60 trim .63 a/r

Pretty close, but I'm pissing in the wind to guess which will spool faster. Less trim or less a/r

Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:12 AM
Okay. Got it. 57 trim. Been reading all night arghhh

Now for a/r.... .48 or .63?
.63 will give me a higher peak hp, but .48 will provide more low end? I'm no 1/4 mile guy, more auto-x. So the plan is...... 57 trim .48 a/r

Sorry just thinking out loud :/

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:13 PM
Eric Knight wrote:Okay. Got it. 57 trim. Been reading all night arghhh

Now for a/r.... .48 or .63?
.63 will give me a higher peak hp, but .48 will provide more low end? I'm no 1/4 mile guy, more auto-x. So the plan is...... 57 trim .48 a/r

Sorry just thinking out loud :/

I think that combo would suite you well for auto-x

Friday, July 20, 2012 6:41 AM
If you're gonna go Journal bearing over dual BB, go with a Borg Warner turbo. S250SX would be well suited to your needs with a .48 A/R housing from agpturbo.com, Same turbo i'll be running, but i'm using a larger turbine housing. That turbo maxes out at about 410whp at 28psi (Test done on an SRT4 2.4L)

The reason a Borg Warner would be better than a similarly sized Garret journal bearing turbo is because of the Extended Tips on the compressor exducer. It's more efficient at compressing the air at higher pressure ratios then a standard Garret wheel.

AGP Borg Warner S200SX-RS50

Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:45 AM
^^ +1 on the Borg Warner. Thanks for all the input.

I may hold onto these t12's and do a twin setup next season. Or I'll put one on my tractor mower. Who knows haha.

I'll be waiting a week or so till I invest in a real turbo. Gotta get my MS3 running fuel at least, and I'm waiting for my AEM wideband kit

Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:52 AM
I meant twin as in 1 t12 and one giant turbo. Not 2 t12's lolz.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:23 AM
if you're going to compound-charge the car, I hope you're planning on 40psi+ or else you're still pissing in the wind.

twins are stupid on such a small engine.

I'd suggest going with a .63a/r on the turbine... .48a/r runs out of breath extremely early

especially if you want to have fun on the street. spooling early is not always more fun, especially in a car where weight transfer is working against you.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:42 AM
I'm in agreeance with PJ. A twin setup, no matter the sizing of turbos or engine displacement, on a L4 is pointless at moderate power levels. A properly sized single turbo setup for your moderate boost application will far out perform a tiny hairdryer spooling up, say, a GT40 only to be pushing 25psi and be aiming for a small 450whp.

There is also another option as far as turbine housings go for that S250. Bullseye Power makes a .55A/R housing, if you're looking for something inbetween (a little more top end, but still a good boost threshold for your Auto-X that you mentioned, so you're never too long without power). Hell, i'll sell you my turbo with that very housing if you want since i bought it before i really knew what i wanted to do with my build. I now know it's a little too small for my power goals, and i'm looking to be upgrading to a larger BW unit.

And remember, keep reading that book. Don't be afraid of the math calculations either, it's very useful for figuring out turbo sizing, injector sizing and finding out how to make you're setup as efficient as possible with minimal losses.

P.S. Sell the damn turbos.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:06 PM
Thrice, PM details about the BW turbo. I may be interested with the .55 a/r housing. I think .68 may spool too slow, and I don't need to go that fast to have fun on the street. My HP goals are 300-400, 400 is a big big goal, Its probably more like 300-350. This is capable HP with my setup, I'll tune it to the highest I can, then tune it down to 280-300 to be safe on my stock bottom end. My winter build is going to involve a short block. Weisco pistons (8.9:1 .020 over) with eagle rods. Then I'm going to go for broke next year 450+ hopefully with some help from n2o. Just to be complicated, and get more involved in MS.

I put my car up on the dyno last week, 4th gear pull peak HP was 124 lol, but that was @5700, 108mph. 3rd gear pull was peak 146hp @6500. (STD, I think it was like 144 SAE)

The only engine mods on my car right now are a custom fabbed turbo manifold I bought off of someone in the mid east section. The hp line was practically straight, this thing wants to suck a lot of air! I was happy to see it wanted to keep on going.

Anyone happen to know where I can find some stock L61 dyno sheets?

P.S.
My definition of fun on the street is that after you take the 90+degree turn fast enough, she gets thrown over and her head ends up in your lap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search