h/e or water/meth injection - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
h/e or water/meth injection
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 10:11 AM
Finally found myself a decent J, 05 cavi 2.2 w/ GMPP S/C. Has the whole kit installed but does not come with a heat exchanger. I've read a few places, including here, that it makes a huge difference. I'm just looking for any kind of data or even educated experience as to which would give me better results. I'm not even sure where the best place to buy a h/e for this system even is anymore.

As for water/meth, I'd be looking at something like this: Clicky Seems like a pretty simple install and less chance for coolant leakage. Plus it has other benefits like cleaning up carbon deposits and boosting "octane" level.

Interested in all relevant feedback!

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: h/e or water/meth injection
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:09 PM
my 04 cavy is running the ZZP S3 heat exchanger with the dual pass endplate from ZZP. I also have the Option B tank/setup but you can get better kits, though this one is fine. It makes a big difference, and the only thing you'll really need is an Intercooler pump (like from an LSJ/Cobalt - mines from an 06 SS/SC). Im also going to be running meth in the near future. this is for the smaller pulley. I think meth is over kill for a lightly tuned/modded s/c setup with all stock parts (stock pulley, belt, etc).

btw, you wont have coolant leakage issues if youre diligent about tightening down your clamps properly. just dont be in a hurry and triple check your work. What i did was run straight water through the IC setup, with the pump on (key in accessory), until it didnt leak after a few minutes, knew my setup was tight. The routing of the coolant lines makes a difference too. refer to any of the s/c builds, i have one too i can try to provide as to how mine is layed out.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:27 PM
Interesting, thanks for the info. I actually do have the smaller pulley but I didn't install it. That's another reason I was leaning toward water/meth. But I get what you're saying; it's not a one or the other type thing if you want the best performance, you need both. What did the whole setup cost for you? Did you pull that pump for a junkyard or just order it for a cobalt and make your own brackets?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:33 PM
my pump came with the cobalt parts i bought including the s/c and intake manifold and stuff (and alternator). but it was broke so i had to go buy a used one from a friend who had a spare. they break often. it comes with a bracket that bolts right up to the manifold. you can find these stock parts on cobaltss.net or whatever for cheap.

meth is important if you are running anything smaller than 3" i believe. you may also need a smaller (stage 2) belt if you go smaller than 3.1/3.0 pulley. The only reason i can have a 3.0" on the stage1 belt is because i have Phenolic spacers (from OEM) and i upsized my tensioner pulley to the idler pulley (so now im running 2 idler pulleys).

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 6:07 PM
Intercool it!!!!

I just did this after being non intercooled for close to a year. It made a ton of difference. My IATs on the highway were usually around 160-170 staying ou of boost. Now they are 110-120 and once I stomp on it it cools down to around 100-105. I just did a 700km trip today over 2 mountain passes and my highest temp was 125 and that was cause I was on the boost in 5th for a while. On the way there my temps skyrocketed up to 220.

Buy the right stuff. I bought the ZZP heat exchanger, cobalt pump, bracket, hoses/fittings, filler neck, everything cost me about $450-500

Check my thread in the photo and media forum.....newish car build thread. It shows my full install.
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 6:15 PM
H/E should not even be a option to not have. This is a must.

Meth is also a very good tool, but should still be used with a good H/E setup, but also would require tuning.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:52 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:H/E should not even be a option to not have. This is a must.

Meth is also a very good tool, but should still be used with a good H/E setup, but also would require tuning.

I fully agree.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 5:59 AM
yup. i was very hesitant to even have my blower installed without my pump hooked up and running properly. Only for a few days though then i had it installed and running. No reason at all to take the chance.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:48 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:H/E should not even be a option to not have. This is a must.

I fully agree.

me three....i only ran for a month without a heat exchanger. I wouldnt do it ever again without the heat exchanger being on from the very beginning. with my system, i am only running about 18-22 degrees above ambient temp. and when its 100+ degrees out, stuff gets hot fast and stays that way. so im happy with mine. I have the cobalt pump with the cobra heat exchanger, and a 3/4 gallon water tank. i have a 3.0 on my blower.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:39 PM
Wow, I'm really glad I posted about this. I had no idea it was such a big deal to have one, even for longevity of parts. I guess the next step is locating all the parts and going for it. Philly I checked out your thread as well, super helpful. Thanks for all the advice guys, probably more posts like this to come with this new ride

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search