racetronix fuel pump installed and now problems? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
racetronix fuel pump installed and now problems?
Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:38 AM
recently installed the racetronix fuel pump along with new o-ring gasket. after installed car is having a hard time starting, it takes 3 to 4 times of turning the key to start or if i give it gas it fires right up. i checked the fuel pressure with a guage on the fuel line and it read 55 when the key was in acessarys but wont start right away, then it goes back to 0 when it was turned off, its like its not keeping pressure in the line. what could cause these problems

Re: racetronix fuel pump installed and now problems?
Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:56 AM
You have to let it prime before starting it. It isnt a problem, it is how it is.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:07 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:You have to let it prime before starting it. It isnt a problem, it is how it is.

Im not saying you are wrong but I have never had to let mine prime... ever, literally.

Im thinking that venturi line came off and its hard starting due to that.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:18 AM
Your lucky then vince, I've got to let mine prime if it sits for more than a few hours. There is a litte checkvalve fitting we could use right off the pump. It was made by Earl's or Aeroquip....If iI run into it again I'll post up.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 3:19 AM
Please do. Also, after I fixed my venturi line I only need to fully prime the pump once and then starts perfect. IE I turn the ignition on wait to here the pump turn on and off, and then start.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 02, 2012 5:57 AM
I too have to let it prime after turning it to accessory. It'll start up fine the first time every time after that if its been sitting for a while.
But if I let it sit after just driving it for only a few minutes then go to start it it needs to fully prime a few times or i have to assist it because it will die (i just tap the accelerator 2 or 3x and its good).

I had issues with my lines too initially, but made sure they were properly/tightly installed. Its just the nature of the pump unfortunately. its designed for higher flow and isnt exactly the same as your factory pump.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, August 02, 2012 8:34 AM
i prime it in accessory also but when i go to turn the key all the way it still wont fire right away i have to turn the key a couple of times or give it gas, ill check all my lines again today, if they are all good ill just have to get used to the new way to start the car
Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:45 AM
I agree with Tinkles, and Vince on this one. Lots of people let it prime, and some dont. I turn the key to ACC, let it prime while i click my seat belt, then turn it over fires right up. If I dont let it prime, it take a second or two to fire, but still fires right up. AFAIK there are no check valves in our fuel system, so when the car is turned off, the lines can empty back to the tank. Hence why you need to prime it.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:58 AM
i just got done checking everything and its all tight. it still takes 4x of putting it in accessory to get it to fire but then it does right away. just have to get used to it now thanks everyone for your input and help
Thursday, August 02, 2012 11:03 AM
you are 100000% positive everything is hooked up right? venturi line and all electrical connections? everything is good?

Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:38 PM
yea but im going to take it to my buddies shop tomorrow morning so he can take a look at it also just incase he sees something i missed.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:50 PM
id 100% check the lines in the tank....

Thursday, August 02, 2012 11:17 PM
this and that^^^

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Friday, August 03, 2012 2:17 AM
I had the same issue with it after installing it. went thru the hassle of pulling the tank back out and re doing the venturi tube only for it to still be that way. so i just have to prime it when it sits for an extended period of time, no biggy. This is on a racetronix w-body pump
Friday, August 03, 2012 9:13 AM
I just finished the racetronix upgrade last night - with barely 3L of gas in the tank (Needle right on the E) it drove fine above 4000 rpm with no fuel cut to the gas station - I was surprised.

I had previously read this thread so I expected to have to prime the car like my blazer pump in Sweetness...

.... but this morning I jumped in the car after it sitting for about 11 hours and turned the key and it turned over right away like it did on the stock pump.

So... I don't know if I just got lucky or if you have an issue! But I just wanted to let you know I didn't experience your issue.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, August 03, 2012 10:45 AM
I've never heard a fuel pump turn on in the ACC position, I'm pretty sure the guys above me mean "ON" position.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, August 03, 2012 11:00 AM
Yup we are using the wrong terminology - I don't think I EVER turn the key backward! lol...

I'm speaking of the key-forward position... my other car requires me to prime the pump that way with my blazer fuel pump install... but so far this Racetronix hasn't required that of me. I wish I had a FP gauge on the rail so I can see what the pressure is sitting at when off - my Blazer bleeds down to 0 in about 5 hours.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, August 03, 2012 2:28 PM
I would check the little venturi line like he is saying. One of the things dropping my tank 3x revealed was I never had everything perfectly tight. to the point it was going to snap, tight.

mine would run like @!#$ until i actually get in there with the proper crimping tool and smash the living piss out of that metal worm clamp. (though due take note to not crack plastic nozzles).

If your pump is priming, the lines/tubes on the pump are 100% good, then its your filter or injectors. once it primes there should be enough in the line to actually turn over the motor. 4 primes is WAY too much fuel to be required to turn over the motor.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, August 03, 2012 4:29 PM
In the directions it says to nip the venturi line a hair because its a form fit line and it forms to the venturi fitting, snip that off and put it back on fresh and it should hold along with a clamp.

Friday, August 03, 2012 6:16 PM
i don't have to let mine prime unless its sits for a few days but i prime it anyways

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, August 04, 2012 1:24 AM
changed the fuel filter and it starts after 3x of priming now, i do have the injectors that came with my s/c kit installed but i do believe there maxed out. i have 60 pound injectors to put in but no one around the janesville/beloit area does hpt tuning so im stuck for now

QUIET THUNDER

Sunday, August 05, 2012 3:58 PM
I thought I'd update you - it's been 3 days now and I went on a few huge roadtrips with the car to test it out.

My mileage has gone up significantly. I'm a gas miser so to see it jump the way it did stunned me.
The car ALWAYS turns over as soon as I turn the key. No priming, no chugging, nothing.
I have run the tank down to the gas light with no fuel cut whatsoever.

This tells me something is wrong with your install - did you put a clamp on the venturi line? The person I bought the pump off of put a wire around this line and twisted it to the point that it would never move again, and ALL the clamps were tight.

I wish I'd done this upgrade on the other car, now. Oh well - when this car goes to the junkyard one day I'll be keeping this pump and wiring harness for Sweetness - that's for sure.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search