ring gap, did I mess up? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ring gap, did I mess up?
Friday, August 10, 2012 2:17 PM
I didn't take into account that my bores are 20 over when I did the math for gaping them, and now they are ground to what was calculated for the STD bore. I know its minimal, but would rather know its right before assembly, which I I'm supposed to start on this weekend.

on a side note, did anyone have trouble messing up the plastigauge when checking the oil clearances for the crank?

Re: ring gap, did I mess up?
Friday, August 10, 2012 2:57 PM
well did you get std bore rings or .020 over rings is the question. if you got the .020's then it wont matter what the gap is for them vs std cuz it should be the same for your purpose whatever that may be... boost, nitrous, n/a etc.

if you are saying you used std rings on an .020 piston than they are definitely incorrect.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Friday, August 10, 2012 3:55 PM
yeah everything is is for .020, application is for boost

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:18 PM
How does the bore size factor into any "calculation" of the ring gap? You put the ring in the finished cyl, square it up with an empty piston and measure the gap with a feeler gauge.

Wiseco has some guidelines for their ring packs whether you are running boost, nitrous, or NA... So your ring manufacturer should have suggested gaps.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Friday, August 10, 2012 5:24 PM
Lol who mods the performance forum? They should learn a thing or two about performance. Hehe

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Friday, August 10, 2012 5:28 PM
bore size X application in chart = gap needed
bore in MM /25.4 = bore in inches
86.5/25.4 = 3.4055 3.4055 X .005 = .0170

Friday, August 10, 2012 7:17 PM
.017 sounds about right for boost to me. them bastids need a good amount of room to move LOL

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Friday, August 10, 2012 7:54 PM
top ring is .017 and second is .0187, sorry I meant to put that with the other info there

Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:37 PM
Cinny wrote:top ring is .017 and second is .0187, sorry I meant to put that with the other info there

I know stock non boosted is around .013, but GM allows for up to .025 as acceptable.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:38 PM
.025?!?!!? good god u guess gm's ok with a @!#$ load of blowby?

Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:53 PM
Alex Richards wrote:How does the bore size factor into any "calculation" of the ring gap? You put the ring in the finished cyl, square it up with an empty piston and measure the gap with a feeler gauge.

Wiseco has some guidelines for their ring packs whether you are running boost, nitrous, or NA... So your ring manufacturer should have suggested gaps.

THIS.

Maths for ring gap? News to me.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs

Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:12 PM
.008-.016 top ring .014-.022 second ring is stock tolerance natural aspirated

Check for proper ring end gap, for those that don't know any better

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:34 PM
Mine are as follows:

Top= .017"
Oils= untouched
Bottom= .018"

As long as your measuring the rings with a feeler once set an inch or so below the deck and getting the measurements you have listed your dead on.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search