Oil Filter Change/Supercharged Cavalier - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Filter Change/Supercharged Cavalier
Monday, August 20, 2012 11:38 PM
I was thinking about supercharging my 2.2 ecotec cavy and noticed that the supercharger would make it harder to change the oil filter. How much of a pain in the ass is it to change the oil filter on a supercharged 2.2 ecotec?

Re: Oil Filter Change/Supercharged Cavalier
Monday, August 20, 2012 11:50 PM
It isnt that bad. You just have to snake it out under the blower inlet or just toss a Harrop HTV1320 LSJ in place of the M62 and the filter will come right out the top like stock.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:09 AM
The first oil change was sort of a pain til I figured out the best angle/place to pull the filter out, but after that it doesn't take me any longer to change the filter with the blower than without.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:08 AM
Get a long extension...I use about a 12".

Put the filter cap socket on the cap and snake the extension down onto the socket...undo.

Then you just have to snake the filter and cap out the front by the battery.

I do find it annoying to do becauseI always do it when the motor is nice and hot. Hence burning the crap out of my hands lol.
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:05 AM
Yeah its kind of annoying, not that bad though. I hear yah on the burning part Philly, that heaton sure likes to make things HOT!
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:52 PM
haha i always change my oil cold. Just me...i put the socket on the cap the same way i pull the filter out from under the neck of the blower, then use a 12 inch extension to loosen and tighten the cap. pretty simple actually.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:38 PM
cant wait to do my oil filter relocate....

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:39 AM
I have always heard its good to change your oil when its warm so it flows out the drain better/ faster and doesn't stick to the sides of the engine/pan as much?
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:41 PM
Thats what ive always been taught.
Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:53 AM
Same here.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:30 PM
I live in Arizona, its always warm....lol

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:54 PM
Its warm but not warm enough to warm the oil to the point where its thin. I feel that the thinner the oil is the more of it that gets out of my motor and the less sludge im going to have in the end.
Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:17 PM
oh geeez.....come on guys. i don't think there is a right way and a wrong way to change your oil. preferences sure, right and wrong no way!

think about it this way, when its warm, it get all worked into the block and through all the passages, and after you shut it off, it needs time to drain back to the pan, and i am sure that some oil is getting stuck in the horizontal passages anyways. Its not really that big of a deal. I park my car on a slope every night, so the back of the car is lower then the front, when i need to change oil, i do it before i drive it at all that day. i pull the plug and out comes 5 qts, yeah i usually dump it into a old oil jug so i know how much comes out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search