Portfueler question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Portfueler question
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 1:12 PM
I have a quick question hopefully someone can answer for me, I will be running a 2.2 with upgraded internals (pistons, rods, cams and valvetrain) with a t3/t4 turbo and a mefi stand alone computer. I'm looking to get around 400hp out of it and I've been thinking about ordering the Hahn intake with portfueler but not sure if it will a waste of money or not. I know it is a awesome setup with the oem computer but not sure if it will be as beneficial with the mefi. Please help ....thanks

Re: Portfueler question
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 1:52 PM
It will be a nice set up, just get the proper size injectors. Also what is your other option, hp tuners? Also you mention a standalone.... which are you going to use?

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 2:38 PM
MEFI is just an old school GM ECU that is often used as a standalone ECU in marine and auto applications. MEFI even if you go with the MEFI4 is still not a great platform for tuning as it is ridiculously expensive for the MEFI tuning software/hardware and then on top of that it's somewhat limited. Even more difficult is finding tuners familiar enough with it to get you where you want to go without experimenting (as if tuning is experimenting in the first place haha). If you are going with the portfueler there really is no reason to go with an MEFI. You would be better off tuning with HPT and then integrating the portfueler as a supplemental fuel source as designed. The portfueler if purchased with everything comes with its own standalone injector driver. This can be tuned however you want for extra fuel separate from anything tuned in the vehicle ECU. This allows you to essentially have a stockish tune out of boost and then when you need it the fuel is there with the PF.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:39 PM
This is for a sandrail application and I have both stock ecu and the mefi4 harness. The mefi4 harness is from a place in cali that sells motors for sandcars called Turnkey and is already tuned for a turbo. I can go with either one just want to make sure that I use the best one for my build.
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:34 PM
In this case there is really no need for the portfueler. I am familiar with turnkey. I use to work right down the street from them years and years ago. If you already have the MEFI4 and harness then just stick with it since all the things you will not need for a sand rail will be non existent anyway on the MEFI4. They are a great option for a sandrail actually because there is nothing to them. I would not take the tune loaded into the MEFI4 as a final solution to correctly run your engine. A good base yes, but not overall. There are too many variables especially in a turbo application to make a one-size-fits-all tune. The MEFI4 will certainly be a little better at correcting the notoriously rich running MEFIs since it has closed loop capability. Even with that said though MEFIs are generally finicky but a perfect solution to your use imo.

Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:09 AM
Well my stock ecu and harness was already trimmed down for a 5 wire hook up I was just wanting to have the best set up possible. I really dont want any tuning issues.
Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:08 AM
Well you could go either way really. The cost of the portfueler and HPT Pro is going to probably be about the same as the tuning hardware/software for the MEFI but HPT can be used on a ton of other things down the road if you wanted. Not much uses the MEFI ECUs anymore other than offroad or marine. The MEFI Pro is about $1900 and either way you will be able to nail a good tune down. I think at this point it would simply be a matter of preference.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search