Supercharged Eco TBs. Vortec > LS1 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Supercharged Eco TBs. Vortec > LS1
Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:59 PM
I'll start off with saying that i wont be selling LS1 TB adapters anymore, but i wont leave you empty handed.

The 4.3L Vortec TB. (Pics stolen from Gameoverracing's post from 2008).

Same bolt pattern as the LS1.
Same sensor plugs.
70mm
Throttle wheel is on the same side, but pulls in the opposite direction as the LS1. Which means that CBM's LS1 to LSJ TB plate adapter is perfect for it and the throttle cable pulls like stock.
(The problem i have with CBM's adapter and LS1 TB is the stress the TB cable is put under because of the sharp angle that it is required to make.)

This is CBM's 1st version(they have revised it and i think the 2nd version will work even better) with a 4.3L Vortec TB on Z/28guy's cav.

Throttle cable is pointed out so you can see that it is in the "stock" location.

Link to CBM's ebay for the adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CBM-10723-LS1-LSJ-ecotec-throttle-body-adapter-intake-supercharger-M62-NEW-/221033868171?hash=item3376a52b8b&item=221033868171&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accesso ries&vxp=mtr

With the right elbow, you should be able to keep the stock battery in the stock location.
The TPS pig tail isnt a hard swap. I dont have any harnesses available at the moment, but i could in the future if there is enough interest.
The throttle cable bracket is going to be a DIY item. The best i tell is that 1.75" away from the TB would work well.

In my option this is a much better solution to a larger TB than the LS1 and the only way to get better would be a custom designed/built TB but no one is going to want to pay for it.

Re: Supercharged Eco TBs. Vortec > LS1
Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:33 PM
Ah it pulls from the other direction....know I know what the fuss is about. Glad to know.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:46 PM
Good work kyle. I am going to aqcuire the 4.3 tb and go to work! and the 4.3 can easily be ported to 75mm for those who want to know.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:53 PM
If you are also willing to make a IAC extension, i would be willing ot pay for it, that way we can chose how to route the plugs a little easier, mine are kinda tight right now with all i can to to make then be how they are.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:02 PM
talk to caspers electronics for extensions

Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:10 PM
As far as I know the 4.3, 5.0, and 5.7 CMPFI engines all used the same TB. That may make searching for a TB a little easier.

Monday, September 17, 2012 5:26 AM
Good stuff, noted. thanks Kyle.

Monday, September 17, 2012 6:47 AM
.....goo onnnnnnn.......

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, September 17, 2012 10:45 AM
This is definitely added to my list of goodies for when I decide to drop pulley sizes. Thanks for the info!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:58 PM
blu04DD wrote:.....goo onnnnnnn.......

There is nothing for me to go on about. I showed that it'll fit and my opinions on what needs to be done. It is on you guys to come up with the finishing touches.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:45 AM
"The TPS pig tail isnt a hard swap."
So we just need to splice into our current one after purchasing the proper TPS plug and the wires are all the same?

"It is on you guys to come up with the finishing touches."
You mean...we have to do our own wo..wo..wo..worrrrrrrk????!?

Also I asked this before in other threads and dont think I got a reply.....does anyone know if its pretty easy/safe to tap these tb adapters for a meth setup, or even better, if one can be purchased with it?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:20 PM
i see no reason why an adapter couldnt be tapped, or buy TB spacer for whatever TB you want and tap that. The CBM adapter is 5/8s thick. so it will be pretty easy to tap for a 1.8 npt nozzle. of whatever they are

Sunday, September 23, 2012 7:35 AM
You put greasy hand prints all over my engine bay we still gotta figure out how to mount the throttle cable

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:27 AM
You've seen kyle's engine bay right? Would you expect anything less? Lol

Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:44 AM
Bahahahaha that is true

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:22 PM
Got the TB in the mail today....YES!!!!

The IAC plug is the same, so thats easy, and I have a TPS extension from Kyle, so that is cool HOWEVER, I think that a L61 TPS MIGHT bolt up to this. I will test and find out. The sensor on here has a bolt hole on each side of the sensor, our sensor only uses one bolt. SO as long as it read the signal correct, and fits, that makes this even easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:29 PM

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:08 PM
Good to know Evofire, Let us know how that works.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:39 PM
EvoFire wrote:Got the TB in the mail today....YES!!!!

where'd you order from? new? used?

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 1:46 AM
kyle, i do not have a ls1 tb to look at, but can you post pictures of yours. i just looked at what i could, and it seems to me that the cable pulls of the ls1 and 4.3 tb i have are the same direction, just the position of the plate the cable attaches to is different. is this correct, or am i seeing this all wrong? from what i just looked at on my car, this TB will pull from the blower side of the TB rather then the intake tube side like the stock TB. so what were you saying the issue is with the LS1. i just confused my self for no reason probably.

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:17 PM
just came across this now after seeing the other CBM feeler thread. For fun i picked up a 4.3 throttle body yesterday. Dont know if this will help anyone or worth the bother for most ppl but here it is anyways. I have Tinkles LS1 adapter. I wanted to swap it out my LS1 for the 4.3 vortec and see if i would notice a difference. I went to bolt it up when i quickly realized that the 4.3 and the LS1 do in fact pull opposite directions. I then decided to measure the throttle plate. Just like the LS1 they are both 75mm. The difference is in the back side of the housing. 4.3 being 70mm as stated above. Again sensors both the same. But i really wanted to use the 4.3 housing. Just a bit overall cleaner without the coolant hose fittings which i cut off anyways. only thing i dont like is less clamping/ mounting surface for an air filter or intake.

i then decided to strip both throttle bodies and see if the throttle wheels were interchangeable so i could still used the Tinkles adapter. They in fact are. Only problem now is that the throttle wheel is now clocked 180* different then what the housing was originally designed for. Not paying close enough attention i broke both the LS1 and 4.3 TPS sensors internally. I ordered a new one today but am yet to put it in. I then dripped and tapped the hole for the little peg and used a little choke hold down and have the TPS sitting in the correct location, nice and secure. i know its hard to understand and i dont know how to explain it but ill get pics ASAP.

this maybe just useless information but for me i didnt like how sensitive the throttle was with the larger throttle body. Not sure if it is related but my car doesnt like to drive really slow. Very jerky so to speak. Also without retuning, my car is ridiculous rich, heard rumors that a smaller TB with lean it out a bit. Driving description and comparison coming hopefully Sunday as im busy tomorrow.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:39 PM
So by recently buying the LS1 tb I have just made it more 'adventurous' for myself to get it to work? Should I try to find a 4.3L vortec one and sell my LS1 after all? Im willing to do what it takes..but if its cleaner and simpler then I'd rather have the slightly smaller tb.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:53 PM
Just go with the Vortec. It will be a cleaner and simpler install.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:09 PM
and then sell me your L61 adapter cheap.
Monday, November 26, 2012 3:39 PM
lol I paid $125 for it from Katech about 8 months ago..I think they're still about $95/100 shipped.
One of the bolt holes I think is stripped out, but Ive taken it off and on so many times Ive never even noticed..everything is tight. Plus its soft metal..can be retapped easily Im sure.

But yeah If i can get the Vortec/LS1 installed and running okay (not dying on me all the time or trying to), then I'd sell it. Basically id still have to buy the LS1 adapter which is about $80 plus shipping I believe so if my cost is offset thats worth it to me.

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:06 PM
Let me know. I can always repair the stripped bolt hole with a time-sert
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search