Heat Exchanger Install - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heat Exchanger Install
Monday, September 24, 2012 9:52 AM
For all those still wanting more information and pictures on this. I installed my ZZP S3 over the weekend and snapped a few pictures...

I used the mounting bolts supplied with the ZZP intercooler. Used a hole saw to cut 2 holes in the front bumper so I could hold the nuts in place while bolting it up. It's a little off center to the left because the lines had the least amount of stress on them right there.

Found a GM bracket and working IC pump from an LSJ on cobaltss.net. It bolts on right under the LSJ intake. Also came with the molded 100* hoses for the endplate.

I used some flat aluminum to make 2 brackets for the bottom. This thing isn't going anywhere.

The hoses barely fit, but they do. This again is why it's a little off center.

The view looking to the front with bumper reinstalled.

The room between the intercooler and radiator.

The view from the front. Looks awesome in there. No cutting or trimming of the bumper necessary.

Victory celebration.

If you're supercharged with an M62 and haven't done this yet, DO IT NOW. The difference is night and day. On my way to Pennsylvania where I did this work, my IATs hit 170; the car ran like garbage by the time I got there. On the way back with this installed, it hovered right around 100-105 the whole time. I bought a small collection tank but ended up not using it for now. I don't even have the stock LSJ filler. Just a little T-fitting with a cap on it. Everyone was complaining about air in the system, but I had almost no trouble getting it totally bled out. Using 50/50 mix ethylene glycol/water with redline water wetter added. Couldn't be happier with the results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 24, 2012 11:24 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Heat Exchanger Install
Monday, September 24, 2012 12:34 PM
Good deal! I am going to be redoing mine here too. But because of the Sunfire front bumper cover, I will have to cut the bumper it self, or find another way to make it not hang down lower then the cover.

Monday, September 24, 2012 12:36 PM
Sucks. I was so happy when it fit in the bumper. Really wasn't wanting to have to cut. How did you plumb your hoses?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, September 24, 2012 1:40 PM
i have the cobra HE so it is different then yours.

Monday, September 24, 2012 5:11 PM
I'm talking like what order you put things in. I went top of intake-filler-bottom of intercooler-top of intercooler-pump in-pump out-bottom of intake.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, September 24, 2012 5:15 PM
Thats the correct order....or shall I say how its done on a stock cobalt. I have it the same way and my temps stay quite low.
Monday, September 24, 2012 5:24 PM
order doesnt matter as long as it is being pumped OUT of the top of the intake manifold.

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:06 PM
Seems like its best to keep the hot water coming out of the intake away from the pump. I figure cooling it first then sending it through the pump might help it last longer. But yeah its been working really well. Couldn't be happier. Plus I got Ryan to hook me up with a quality tune right after I got it installed. The difference was incredible.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:12 AM
did you get the dual pass end plate? swapping the laminova cores and doing the dual pass is another big help.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:24 AM
blu04DD wrote:did you get the dual pass end plate? swapping the laminova cores and doing the dual pass is another big help.

I didn't. I wanted too but figured I'd spent enough for the moment. How much lower are your temps from the stocker? Or, is it just keeping them lower when you're not moving or moving slow?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:45 PM
As far as I know mine is not running very high IAT's since it almost always runs really good. I dont have a gauge to check my IAT's though, what program/device are you using? Id like to get one of those gauges, but some also use their smart phones paired up with a bluetooth adapter ($30 ebay obdII adapter + free/$15app).

im stuck on whether or not to keep investing in this car though...or sell. if i keep investing, ill have that gauge and make some more cooling mods happen in the near future.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:16 AM
I have the bluetooth dongle and use the Torque app for android. It's by far one of the best investments I've ever made. Even if you don't spend any more money on your cav, you can use it for almost anything OBD2. It's a really powerful app and includes more monitors than I care to list. It can also datalog, use the gps to tell you where on the map you hit certain numbers while logging, view and clear codes, and a lot more. Amazing. I'd suggest it to anyone.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:42 PM
The only thing that sucks about the data logging is it seems like you can only log 1 time per second. i wish you could do a bit faster. Its an awesome app though.
Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:36 PM
Nice job on the mounting...I've been thinking of adding 2 brackets to the bottom and rad support like you did. My was originally offset as well to plumb the water hoses between the rad and side support, but my new radiator is a bit wider so I now have my hoses looped around the outside.

As for the dual pass, you'd see quicker recovery times in your IATs..both after hard pulls and when starting to roll after idling a bit. It'll also result in a slower climb of IATs when sitting. The zzp s3/dual pass combo has been proven well worth the money (especially since you can grab a dual pass for like $40-50 off CSS lol).

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:26 PM
Thanks man. Yeah it just didn't seem right leaving it hang like that. Had some scraps laying around so I figured why not. It's ROCK solid in there with the lowers. The only problem with my method is that I lost the spoiler that's riveted on the lower rad support. Didn't think it was a big deal, and it's proven not to be. As for the dual pass, I'm just too lazy to do it right now, haha.

What is everyone running for coolant? I'm in Boston so I have to go 50/50 mix, but dexcool or standard ethylene glycol?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:59 PM
i used dex since its aluminum intercooler. Im going to try adding some water wetter to it shortly. Supposed to help lower temps a bit.
Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:28 PM
one thing about the exchanger being flexible (compared to rock solid) is if you grind it into a curb or something it might give vs totally getting ripped up. I scraped mine once but luckily did zero damage...the more solid it is the more likely you hit something and it will lose in a battle of strength VERY quickly. But just the two mounts and mine is rock solid, it doesnt even move when I try to move it.

yeah i have the iPhone though...there really isnt a quality app for it that I can find. Otherwise, Im thinking of dropping the $240 on one of those diagnostic gauges by AEM...basically measures every possible measurment under the sun lol.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:39 PM
Aeroforce interceptor.....buy one!
Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:21 PM
I run distilled water with a bottle of redline water wetter and winter time I switch to 50/50 of generic coolant and distilled water

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:19 AM
blu04DD check out dash command or Rev for iphone
Friday, September 28, 2012 8:13 AM
I heard Rev was a good app for the iphone. As for the mounting, you have a good point. Thing is I'm lowered so anything I hit has to go way through the bumper cover before it hits the IC; at which point there will be so much carnage it hurts to think about it. As for coolant I used the generic green from autozone. I figured this way if I have a leak I'll know which system is leaking depending on the color. Also used redline water wetter, more for its lubricating properties than anything else. I'm trying to squeeze every mile out of this pump since I read everywhere that they're good for 30k if you're lucky.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search