Turning up the boost? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turning up the boost?
Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:16 PM
I'm trying to decide on how much boost to run once the car is put together. I have all upgrades on my profile but I'll be running a LD9 with eagle rods, wiseco pistons (9:1), stock head (3 angle valve job), stock cams, HO intake, siemens 60# inj, racetronix w body fuel pump. My turbo is a Garrett T3/T04E 57 trim .63 a/r. I'll be running a tial 38mm wastegate with 12lb spring, but I have a Hallman Pro MBC. Here's the thing...earlier this year Addicted to Meth posted on some other topic that he tuned a bone stock LD9 to run 16 psi boost. So, my first qustion is...how much boost do you think is capable for this turbo? I've tried looking it up, but didn't find an answer I trust. Qustions 2...with a great tune, will 20-22psi boost be "safe" (whatever safe really means). Does anyone see any huge problems here? Thanks.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Re: Turning up the boost?
Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:30 PM
You could get a safe tune @20+psi as long as you don't have any knock and the tune is good you should have no orries. I plan on 92oct. And 20+ on my eco once it's tuned. Who would be doing your tune?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:55 PM
I would keep turning up the pressure until you get the injectors to a 85% duty cycle then leave it there. A good rule of thumb is to keep the injector duty cycle under 85%. Once you go over that you risk damaging and shortening the injectors life span.

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:58 AM
JUCNBST wrote:You could get a safe tune @20+psi as long as you don't have any knock and the tune is good you should have no orries. I plan on 92oct. And 20+ on my eco once it's tuned. Who would be doing your tune?

My dad will at least do the initial tune. We also have a good friend from the shop I used to work at that uses HPT on a regular basis. Not necessarily on our cars though. If needed I'll take it up to Ryan Egleston. He's not too far from where the car is at. I sent him a PM about my car and a tune a little while ago, but I never heard back lol.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:15 PM
... And what are you using to tune the 96?

97 ECM swap?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, September 24, 2012 10:14 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:... And what are you using to tune the 96?

97 ECM swap?

Chris

Yep, harness and computer already done

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, September 24, 2012 10:42 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:A good rule of thumb is to keep the injector duty cycle under 85%. Once you go over that you risk damaging and shortening the injectors life span.

Ryan tuned my car over the weekend at reported a 112% duty cycle at 7k. I'll be looking into bigger injectors asap, haha.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search