Ecotec Casting plug - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Casting plug
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:26 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am putting this on here for informational purposes incase someone on here runs into the same problem. I have a fully build eco and was seeing a drop of oil on the garage floor every once and a while, since I put so much into the actual builing process of the engine I wanted to fix this. The leak seemed to be coming from the area where the oil pan and sidecover meet, but I could not pinpoint exactly where. So I pulled the pan and side cover to reseal. The oil casting plug in the oil pan under the side cover had a lot of oil around it, so I figured why not fix it to make sure it will never leak. The reason that this is here is because when GM drilled the oil pick up they had to do so at this angle, and then plug it with a casting plug. Decided to look into this when my oil pressure guage was fluttering this week, may have not been because of this plug, however just one more point for a problem. The cause of the initial concern was most likely the sidecover gasket or the oil pan gasket.

As you can see, there is really no reason for this to be here, so why not machine a billet plug for this and weld it up.

Also for anyone that does not know, the oil pan takes a tri bond sealer, I have tried rtv many times and it may work for some people, but not me.

And the side cover takes a gasket that is not supposed to have any sealer

Re: Ecotec Casting plug
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:11 AM
Yeah the GM sealant for the oil pan is awesome!!

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 12:29 PM
Lolzs. I am finding out it is the only thing to use!!!!

Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:48 AM
good to know

thanks for the info

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:04 AM
Yep,

That is what I put it here for.

Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:54 PM
GM part number for.sealant?

I was going to use hondabond on the motor since I already have it but the GM stuff would be better.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:49 PM
locktite 515 or 518....when i got my stuff from GM it was one of those...i forget which one. is anerobic sealer. so just look for the stuff that says that on it. same stuff seals the tranny halves.

Friday, October 05, 2012 2:31 AM
I also get a tube of the GM stuff. I went to my guy at the dealer and told him I need the GM engine sealant and they know what im talking about. I used it on my oil pan, my trans halves as well.

Friday, October 05, 2012 10:21 AM
I used the 1minute sealant stuff by permatex. Its grey in color.

Oil pan is leaking... so go get the GM stuff?

Friday, October 05, 2012 11:39 AM
huh, Blue "High Performance" RTV for me...no issues.

Took me 10 mins to split the pan from the block after I pulled all the bolts out she was stuck on there so good.

Friday, October 05, 2012 11:56 AM
Nope, its Tribond 1280B listed in the GM book, they are here locally in Michigan.

Yes, it has better blowout protection than RTV which is what the guy from Tribond told me. You can see it on their website.

Friday, October 05, 2012 12:04 PM
when i ordered my sealer from GM, this is EXACTLY what i got from the dealer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LCT-37394/

Friday, October 05, 2012 12:37 PM
Hmm.

Thats funny under applications it does not say oil pans or anything oil related, the only reason I sought out the Tribond is because that is what it calls OEM in the GM Build book by part number.

Friday, October 05, 2012 11:12 PM
Yeah mine is just a silver GM branded engine sealant.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search