finally getting a tune next week and have question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
finally getting a tune next week and have question
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:55 PM
like title says im getting a tune next friday and i will be installing 60lbs injectors,ls1 or vortec tb,4 inch intake and my problem is from what ive read that the 3.0 pulley is the smallest you can go without meth injection ill be buying in spring after rebuild on motor and i would like to know if this is true or not any suggestions welcome and other parts that would help me out

Re: finally getting a tune next week and have question
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:12 PM
I'd have no problem trying a 2.9 or 2.8 as long as there are plenty of other supporting cooling mods. Plus your in WI not florida or southern states so temps don't get as high for majority of the year. I only got tuned on a 3.0 because I didn't have time to pickup a 2.9 or 2.8 before My car was dyno tuned.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:02 PM
ok i am running the stge 3 zzp heat exchanger with option b, now lets say i go to 1 of those pulleys am i going to need 2 change belts? like the stge 2 belt and what else would i need besides the oversized belt tensior to make those work?
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:12 PM
I kept the stock ss belt minus 1 rib cut off and with the 3.0 pulley it barely fit BUT I had both the zzp intake mani spacer and O.e.M. blower spacers on. Otherwise it might be a wise choiceto have just incase you run into belt slip.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:21 PM
I ran a 2.9 without meth and didnt have any problems. If you have a decent H/E system there wont be an issue. Where did you hear that Meth injection fable? Cobaltss.net? They are a bunch of retards.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:50 AM
yea thats exactly where i heard that lol, now with going down to the 2.9 pulley what exactly would i all need to make that work, the oversized belt tensioner and both spacers with the stock belt?
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:56 AM
Hell I'd just grab the 1/2 in zzp spacer since there is so much drama around the O.E.M. blower to manifold spacer. Or oversized tensioner.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:13 AM
I have a smooth flow 3.085" pulley and i have had belt slippage issues during track time (specially on sticky tires).
I had both Phenolic spacers, stock idle pulley, stock tension pulley.
To reduce slippage, I got a spare idle pulley which is larger in diameter than the tensioner pulley, and used that on the tensioner.
you can swap pulley's back and forth, run both larger ones to take up slack, run both smaller (tension) ones to provide slack.
I am stil unable to use my stage2 belt to this day with even removing a spacer. It is simply too tight to allow the tensioner to come back up on its own, or even with a crow bar lol....yeah.

So with my 2.8" smoothflow in the mail, Im hoping I can finally drop the stage2 belt on. If it doesnt 'quite' fit then Ill replace both larger pulleys (idle) with two tension pulleys.

Just gotta play with it a bit (heh, thats what she said!).

I have been running the 3" pulley and your same cooling mods since day one, no issues. Infact its been impressive for how rich and how little boost Im actually seeing. Meth is in the mail too, today or tomorrow it should arrive..so Ill be installing meth this week/weekend..added security here in TX

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:46 PM
ok so what i am looking at with the 2.9 pulley is to get a oversized idle tensioner pulley to put in place of my stock tensioner pulley to pick up the slack along with the 1/2 in zzp spacer and it should work fine
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:44 PM
1/2" spacer....a phenolic one? cause thats HUGE....thats over 12mm.
mine are 4mm each, none should be much thicker than that. or youd need some super long bolts...

maybe youre talkin about a diff spacer

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:46 PM
Just a heads up on the zzp spacer it's drilled for the 8mm bolts/studs ued on he lsj head. Ur l61's have 6mm. So you'll have to drill and tap the head to 8mm threads or get a 6mm thread shoulder bolt with 8mm shoulders from Mcmastercar, grainer,fastener store ect.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:50 PM
Fastenal hooked me up nicely. only problem is i didnt order them 4mm longer like i should have so i had to remove the head to manifold spacer, for now. gonna order new bolts and then put it back on.
I got mine in like a day or 2 and the guy actually had a speed3, so we chatted it up when he asked what they were for and saw my hood propped at his store.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search