M45 Record's... - Page 5 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: M45 Record's...
Friday, April 12, 2013 9:06 AM
I know lots of guys here are not dedicated drag racers, nor are their cars.....but...

Looking at that list makes me a little sad, with bolt-on's and cams my car ran as fast as the fastest person on that list.

I don't want this to be a Eco vs. LD9 war....cause that's not what I want.

What I'm saying is a properly set-up J-Body can run a 13.8 with only 169whp (which is what my car used to make).

I wish people would pay as much attention to suspension and tire setup as they did to motor mods.

For christ sake my car ran the 1/4 quicker that #15 and #16 when it was completely stock!

/end rant. (its been a frustrating day).

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:23 AM
newt wrote:I know lots of guys here are not dedicated drag racers, nor are their cars.....but...

Looking at that list makes me a little sad, with bolt-on's and cams my car ran as fast as the fastest person on that list.

I don't want this to be a Eco vs. LD9 war....cause that's not what I want.

What I'm saying is a properly set-up J-Body can run a 13.8 with only 169whp (which is what my car used to make).

I wish people would pay as much attention to suspension and tire setup as they did to motor mods.

For christ sake my car ran the 1/4 quicker that #15 and #16 when it was completely stock!

/end rant. (its been a frustrating day).

I completely agree.

I ran my fastest n/a time with 138whp.

People tend to think you bolt stuff on and go to the track and the car will run it's best time. It takes practice, practice and more practice.

When I use to drag race regularly I kept track of all my times in a log book, which setting and RPM launches etc.... I recently got a app for that on my ipad, but this was my first time at the track in like 5 years. I'm ok with my current time because of all the facts and I know it has more. I fully intend to lower that time and be at the top of the list, I need more seat time.

FU Tuning

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:40 AM
newt i agree as well. i definitely havent overlooked my suspension. ill have the exact same setup paul did... he was cutting 1.9 60's on street tires with 201whp. but that was n/a...i know the m45 is a torque monster so im not gonna assume that launching will be even close. i've raced wade's m45 (and m62) setups and it was hard as hell to get right. hell mine with the 2.4 snout pulley is gonna reach full torque REAL early so it's gonna be a big learning curve thats for sure.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Friday, April 12, 2013 11:00 AM
Exactly, seat time at the track is the only way to learn,

The truly ironic thing is the more mods you add and the more HP your car makes the harder it is to drive fast and the longer it will take to be able to drive that car to its full potential.

I wish more people realized this, it used to be much worse around here than it is now....I think more people are starting to clue in.

CobaltSS.net is a nightmare for this stuff, 300-350whp cars still running in the 14's.

Out of curiosity, what is the app called? I currently keep a mental note of what works and doesn't work for my car, but an app would help out for sure.

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:03 PM
newt wrote:Exactly, seat time at the track is the only way to learn,

The truly ironic thing is the more mods you add and the more HP your car makes the harder it is to drive fast and the longer it will take to be able to drive that car to its full potential.

I wish more people realized this, it used to be much worse around here than it is now....I think more people are starting to clue in.

CobaltSS.net is a nightmare for this stuff, 300-350whp cars still running in the 14's.

Out of curiosity, what is the app called? I currently keep a mental note of what works and doesn't work for my car, but an app would help out for sure.

100% agree.

App is RaceIQ. I had to pay for it, but you can have multiple cars, and with internet connection can pull in DA information, run reports etc...

FU Tuning

Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:38 AM
Another reason I love building a car in stages. starting n/a stock, then n/a bolt ons, then a mild turbo setup, then a more aggressive setup, and into a whole new world setup. its fun learning every stage and then tweaking it from one to the next. I will have to learn a whole new car this year. All new turbo setup, 100% new suspension setup as well as wheel tire combo. But I can guarantee you that if it holds together the whole year, I will break my records and move up on the list. I will most likely skip the street tire stage and just go right out with the radials.

Hell I put my friends Sti into the high 11's first pass, while he was cracking high 12's out after 30 passes. Driver mod can make or break a time.

The thing people dont consider is that one day, launching at 3000 rpm when its 70 outside, is not the same as launching at 3000 when its 50 outside. I see that mistake all the time. They leave their 2steps the same going from sunny 70 sticky at 6pm, to cold, dark, slick at 2am. Spin half way down the track and wonder what went wrong. One of my favorite things is the big smokey burnouts they do on all seasons/summer tires. The they spin spin spin and even after I tell them... do a quick spin to clear the rocks off and thats it. never listen and they wonder why i drive their cars faster.

Expect from me 2.0-2.2 6-0's for a while. But Ill gladly run those and pull off 11 second passes if I have to. Just dont mind being a little soft on the drive train is all.

The other thing is with these cars times vs yours Newt, is you do have to remember they are heavier. Heaver block + SC. It could probably be measured in oz. but weight can add up fast in each car.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:22 PM
^ exactly. most m45 cars are completely fully loaded daily driver's for crist sakes lol. hell mine weighs 3200 lbs with me in it. paul's was 2450 with him in it when it was quick n/a. HUGE difference.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:53 AM
Well I mean, mine was fully loaded daily driver trim when i ran the 12.6. But to compare I was at 2680 without me in the car.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:57 AM
hmmm im not on that list.

14.102@96.534

that was prototype blower, stock motor, @!#$ty tires, and automatic.

If I'm weird and everyone else is weird, does that make me normal?
-me

Versus Motorsports really @!#$ sucks
and so does DHL...but more
Monday, April 15, 2013 4:15 AM
^ awesome!

what motor was that run on?

Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:06 AM
just got mine back up and running. oversized crank pulley and 2.4 snout pulley. i machined the snout for the 2.4 to fit.

has really REALLY nice torque. up top didnt seem to gain anything at all but i do need it fine tuned so im hoping after that happens the top end comes alive.

only seeing about 8-9 psi too. before on the 2.5 snout it was like 7-10. very odd but then again the temperature is different now, too... boost comes on FAST and stays right at 8-9 psi for most of the powerband.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!

Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:08 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if you are overspinning the blower and are completely out of its efficiency range. If that is true then you wont gain anything up top because you are making too much heat.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:28 PM
yea ur right, im not using any cooling mods whatsoever. in fact, i actually rerouted the heat from the cabin into a hose that shoots into the hot air intake so it runs better when its cold out.

come on man. ive got meth/water injection. it drops the iat's down A LOT. i beat the piss out of it last night, came back, popped the hood, blower was cold...COLD. also have two cryo2 air intake chiller bulbs awaiting install as well as (yea yea) i will be running e85 soon (just waiting on injectors). so... any heat issues will covered. and if all that doesnt steigemeyer has this nifty thing called the "venom cooler" that cools the snout area down and allows the use of a heat exchanger to do it.

i know its being overspun. no more than the cobalt/m62 guys do running their 2.6 or 2.7 pullies, though.

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:20 AM
A local LD9 GMSC Cavy that I tuned to 206 whp ran a 14.1xx @ 100 mph last fall - in a show car. With Chrome 18's.

He still has the slip in the glovebox (was talking to me on the phone last week while we were discussing his time)... needless to say there is a LOT still left in that car on the track.

First time driver, too, ran 3 passes all night.

Oh and Brad - that's a high compression motor I tuned.

Honestly Brad, if you can't at least trap 100 mph I'd be very surprised... but it's all going to come down to the tune. You seem to have that under control though!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, April 22, 2013 8:47 AM
I personally like this app for bracket racing....

http://www.grassrootsdragracing.com/app.html

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 22, 2013 9:03 AM
chris, get me a name and some more info if you could. id like to add him to the list.

206whp seems low for a high compression tuned LD9. obviously it could be the dyno... what other mods? pullies?

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:14 PM
Brad - it was done on a dynapak dyno as I mentioned last spring when I tuned it... 10.5:1 compression ratio, secret cams I believe, stock GMSC with a 2.6" pulley I believe and an oversize Crank pulley, makes 8.5 psi at WOT. Has a header, full exhaust, and I believe a mildly ported head.

From what I understand the Dynapak is a heartbreaker dyno, but it wasn't the Dyno #'s I cared about it was how it ran and clearly on the track it runs well. This car has a fully molded front/rear bumper, chrome 18" rims, and weighs a lot more than factory. Also the suspension is nowhere near set up for the track as any mods have been mostly for look/show points.

His RT was terrible (first time he's ever run the car)... 2.4 - 2.5 and on top it all off his meth was not functioning on the dyno OR the track so there is still some power left in it.

With all that you plan to do to the engine and having a ported charger I expect quite a bit more out of you - it's all a matter of how well you can get it running.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, April 22, 2013 10:22 PM
oh she runs quite well i can assure you. the more i drive it the faster it feels. it does have this weird sort of misfire or loading up issue under load at part throttle sometimes though. not sure whats up with that, it was there last season too before i parked it but i thought it was just the issues with the meth nozzle not firing correctly. apparently that was not the case as i replaced the tps and plugs yet it remained. could obviously be the tune.

anyways, ordered my new injectors today. they are a delphi 60# matched set designed for use on the LSX trucks when boosting. they are 2mm shorter than cobalt's at 58mm, so i went ahead and got some 10mm injector extension cups to go with them as i really hate how short the cobalt's are compared to the stock cavalier length one's. get those going and we'll see where the wot afr's are. per that i may adjust the constant up or down depending on where it is. like i said, only for a little while during the "figure it out" stage as well as changing out a few fuel filters for the E85. im going to buy one of those testers to see what the amount of ethanol really is. they also make a gauge that has an in-line ethanol content sensor for the fuel line to see exactly where its at as well. im going to have it tuned conservative to start. then turn up the wick so to speak later on but at first i just wanna get it running and see how its going to work out. if it doesnt, i have no issue switching back to gas. this is just an experiment to try and get even more power out of this maxed m45 so stay tuned!

Saturday, May 25, 2013 8:22 PM
I have a m45 z24, first time ever at track today best run was a 14.77 at 93mph, happy for what it is still no header no tune and heavy 17's

Monday, May 27, 2013 8:58 AM
^^ not bad. can easily drop that down with just more practice, honestly. m45's are pretty hard to launch, even mine being an auto it takes an almost perfect launch to even accelerate quickly. there is a fine line between spinning and bogging, thats for damn sure.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search