m62 power records - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
m62 power records
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:14 PM
just for giggles, what are people putting down with their m62 HP wise, and 1/4 mile wise?

i went 13.93 at 99.9 on the 3.0 pulley with a stock blower, i/h/e, full heat exchanger setup, on the gm tune with fuel bumped to 68 psi. in full street trim, tires at 35 psi, fuel tank full, and my full size spare in the back. all while missing/messing up 2 shifts. \

i have no idea what i make power wise. havent had it on a dyno yet.

Re: m62 power records
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:31 PM
Im pretty sure Airtonics (sp) has the record for us at 299hp
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:52 PM
I think iirc it was around 12.7 in the 1/4
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:02 PM
wow its really that much of an increase in power over stock? thats over a 100% gain. us m45 guys only get about a 60% bump.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:04 PM
Just splitting hairs but iirc Airtonics was 297 whp.

My car. Stock eco from cams to crand with bolt-on's and phenolic spacers made 249whp on a 3.0 pulley
Best track time in full street trim subs, 3/4 tank, street tires just like I drove it to work everyday
Out of 3 passes 14.2x@100 2.3 60 ft. Was my best and I fully admit I'm not the best driver.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:06 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:wow its really that much of an increase in power over stock? thats over a 100% gain. us m45 guys only get about a 60% bump.

Jon had a $10k motor in that car, and crazy stuff done.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:09 PM
Yeah he did if you look up his youtube vids, some of them list mods. Or ask Vincent Morris as I think he purchased his old motor iirc.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:11 PM
meh

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:02 PM
only 297whp and $10,000 worth of motor work alone? cant be the same motor..unless someone was being VERY conservative with their power demands...like literally minimizing how much it puts out lol....

I hope Im going to be within 20-30whp from that mark as far as stock M62's go, without much more than bolt ons here very soon. I have all the parts..just need to install and need to work on getting a proper tune. I just have never had a good tune. My best on my tune was 14.4@96 with major belt slippage between gears and running very rich..killed my top end power (felt like it was bogging in WOT). Im very confident I can get well into the 13's if not high 12's on my set up if the tune is right and the driver mod is tuned as well lol.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:12 PM
The motor could handle anything that was thrown at it but the m62 was limiting the power.

With a TVS and a tune on there id imagine it would have been closer to the 400 range. Might take a slightly more custom cam as well.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:29 PM
thats kind of what I figured..but why build it like that just to limit it with a stock m62 blower?
Ive referenced this link quite a few times...some good info on the blowers in comparison: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0907_gm_ecotec_bolt_ons/photo_17.html

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:45 PM
Blue-I've posted about that article as well, but keep in Mind Airtonics did his mp62 setup before gm offically released the kit peicing his together off an lsj motor and hptuners. And before the TVS was out.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:01 PM
this is true...if its done 'before its time' when its really a unique build, thats what makes it much more mpressive. i guess as a forerunner of sorts to this supercharged eco community, i would be overly safe in protecting the motor as well.
Prices are certainly less now too and that build may have included a lot of custom work that we now take for granted because sites like ZZP and JBP or whatever are all available to us.

But in comparison, its come a long way. My goal was 300whp but on a stock motor i dont WANT to hit that..so Im playing with fire on stock internals and pushing that 275whp mark after my mods (overly optumistic )

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:10 PM
Jons motor is a Todd Miller motor is I remember correctly.

From conversations with Jon and Vince, it has some gnarley. Some Roush Racing parts, and balance shaft (and gear) delete. not just neutrals, the dame gears are gone. it has customs chain and guides and all kindsa stuff. it can handle the power. I think also, that his numbers were on a 2.7 pulley on a stock blower....

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:23 PM
^ correct and hewas using meth and stage 2 and 3 crane cams iirc just forget which intake/exhausts. I'll try and dig up his threads when I'm not at work on my cell and link them for referance.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:23 PM
Philly D wrote:The motor could handle anything that was thrown at it but the m62 was limiting the power.

With a TVS and a tune on there id imagine it would have been closer to the 400 range. Might take a slightly more custom cam as well.

apparently not since vince has had trouble keeping it together under his turbo boost. im sure it'll be fine now that he's got the bugs worked out but something obviously didnt work out.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:35 PM
vince had head issues....which IIRC were HIS fault....could be wrong but i thought that what it all was.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:50 PM
we'll lets get him in here to straighten the story out before our sewing circle goes and blows it out of proportion LOL!!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:06 PM
I only made 230whp with mine. 100% stock eco, 2.9, LS1 TB, 63# injectors, ZZP S/3, dualpass, RD Fabs header, 3" exhuast, "safe" tune. No 1/4 mile times since i prefer twisties and cannot drive my car at the strip to save my life.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:07 PM
Motor was more or less a $10k motor. It should roughly handle 500hp before the sleeves would be needed. Could be more, could be less all based upon the tune. Those that want to dispute the prices of the motor when it was built I have 95% of the receipts and they tell the tale.

The head was a Patriot Stage II base head. Ported and polished to god all hell and was a VERY VERY impressive port job. The valvetrain was from a Roush Mustang. Oversize springs mainly, the keepers were titanium, the spring perch actually had to be machined bigger to fit that big of a spring at the base.. PSI 1530ML Valves which are some intense valves. the head had to be machined a ton of different ways to fit that large of a spring in there as well as all the other pieces. Ports were drilled that sprayed oil on the exhaust side of the valvetrain under high rpm. The rockers were actually factory GM rockers but they were filed and smoothed down and rid of all the casting marks which can lead to cracks and failures. Cams were the comp cams stage 3's. GM Adjustable cam gears. Pretty much sums up the head.

Onto the good part, the block. sleeve this thing and it would go to the moon. No doubt about it. I have no plans to do this since I would have no use for that much power since im not caging the car. On that note, the engine is originally from an 02 cavalier. Decked and all the goodies, eagle rods, wiseco pistons that have custom cut valve reliefs, but stock compression. Stock compression helped keep the balls in it out of boost. The obvious ARP head studs. The main benefit of it is the chain setup. Like stated above, there are no balance shafts at all. no gears to serve as deletes, nothing. Just a chain over the timing gears down to the crank. and a chain directly from water pump to crank. thats it. custom guides and what not. I cant say I feel the difference but if I decide to go electric water pump, im sure i will notice then.

The head that Jon had built failed due to porosity and the way the block was cast. I switched to a stronger LSJ head, as well as a slightly better port job. I alone have $3000 into the head. So a $10k motor when Jon had it build is right on. By the time ALL the machine work is done thats where it would be. I got it for a STEAL! I wouldnt have done it different provided what it cost to build a motor these days.

The problems I had was a timing chain tensioner failure which bent the valves. Few hundred bucks and it was fixed as well as a new tensioner. Thats all the issues I had with it. Now just small knick knack crap to tidy up and its ready to scream. Still using the stage 3 cams but new head, valvetrain, and port and polish. Ran out of time to get tuned this year so it will be driving early next year if all goes well.

Feel free to ask ANY questions about it and I will do my best to answer them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:24 PM

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:13 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:we'll lets get him in here to straighten the story out before our sewing circle goes and blows it out of proportion LOL!!!!!!!

Done....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:14 PM

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:30 PM
Thought I would chime in. I made 232whp

Stock m62 pulley.
No cooling mods
Tri flow cams
Balance shaft delete kit
Had the smg t/b on it.
Tuned with hp tuners.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:50 PM
theres even more details to it then that, i picked jon's ear one night on AIM. he sent me pics and all kindsa stuff...its kick butt motor for sure.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:20 AM
EvoFire wrote:theres even more details to it then that, i picked jon's ear one night on AIM. he sent me pics and all kindsa stuff...its kick butt motor for sure.

Not that I know of... what more could be done to it? There is nothing you can do to the bottom end besides build it and eliminate the balance shafts... The head is no longer on it and has since been upgraded so all thats left is the short block of it.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:03 AM
With the help of Mr. Higgins on the tuning, I dyno'd last year after the SC install at 236.68whp and 203.45tq. Twas with a Steigemeier port and polished charger, 2.8 pulley, ZZP S3/dual pass, and everything else listed here in my registry. I'm also of the opinion that my fat-ass RT-615 Azenis tires hogged a few horses, but that's what I ride with on the street (unless there's snow) so that's what I dyno'd with.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search