bad rings? bad pcv setup? or.. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bad rings? bad pcv setup? or..
Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:47 PM
I've done some reading on the PCV needing vacuum, the infamous 'check valve' etc. So I went to install my catch can (this) only to find yellow gunk clogging the pcv valve nozzle. After removing the oil cap, I also noticed condensation there. So.....

1. What's causing this.. bad rings? head gasket?

2. What is this small fitting used for? Only one end is cutout as you see.

3. I have read all the discussion on catch can setups. Where is the easiest way to get vacuum? If tapping into intake pre TB, what fitting/adapters do you guys use? I currently have the catch can mounted right between the radiator and headlight. PIC

Re: bad rings? bad pcv setup? or..
Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:54 PM
That looks like water and oil mixing to me.

FU Tuning

Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:16 PM
Looks like oil mix to me as well....What's your normal commute look like? I drove 3 miles maybe ten minutes for my daly commute but I'd let the car warm up before I left in cooler months to help prevent this from happening.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:53 PM
yeah told ya thats not good...could try some of that water eliminator but it looks like you got quite a bit

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:23 AM
Judging from the fitting in question, im guessing you have an eBay special catch can? If so, I'd recommend ditching it and starting over. Those cans aren't baffled and won't really catch anything like it should. Moroso makes good baffled cans that aren't overly expensive.

I'd recommend pulling vacuum from pre throttle body. I've heard a few people say when they ran it post throttle body, it was to much vacuum and pulled the blow by straight threw the can, defeating it's purpose.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:38 AM
JUCNBST - My commute is 15 min (7 miles). I use 5w30 Mobil1 syn.. would you recommend switching in winter time?
blu04DD - Yes i was thinking the same. Any brand recommendation? Or is it too late for that..
EVILution - What is the reason for getting baffled? To trap oil and only push gases through vacuum? If so, doesn't that fitting make sure of that?
Also, I have about 2-3" of pipe between TB and filter. What fitting would you use to hook up the catch can hose?

I really just need to get some vacuum/ relief to the pcv. I have a piece of aluminum pipe that I can drill but don't know how to attach the catch can hose to it without any air/vacuum leaks...

Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:54 AM
Well two options.

Get someone to weld a nipple on the tube for your pcv hose to connect to or...something like this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_vacuum-sensor-adapter-kit-spectre_22906024-p
Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:32 PM
Quote:

I really just need to get some vacuum/ relief to the pcv. I have a piece of aluminum pipe that I can drill but don't know how to attach the catch can hose to it without any air/vacuum leaks...

Why not just get a threaded barb fitting that fits in the hole you make? You can get them from basically any hardware store. It does not have to be welded in place, but a welded fitting is a more proper way to do this. I did a quick search in google and grabbed the first URL (Your text to link here...) to show you what Im talking about, you can basically get them in any size. I did on my truck (beater) with a nylon fitting (1/2" i think) and it has been just fine for years. On mine I sealed it with silicone (RTV) around the outside of the threads as a precaution, but it did not leak without that.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:46 PM
I've heard people are using the brake booster for vacuum, but obviously you would need a good check valve. I still think since you were venting to atmosphere moisture made its way into the system and caused the deposits you're seeing. The dipstick looked fine, so I'm not thinking head gasket right away....or at least hoping. Grab a good baffled can and connect it to vacuum. After cleaning everything out, see where you are after that.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, October 29, 2012 6:26 PM
Spalattero wrote:JUCNBST - My commute is 15 min (7 miles). I use 5w30 Mobil1 syn.. would you recommend switching in winter time?

Also, I have about 2-3" of pipe between TB and filter. What fitting would you use to hook up the catch can hose?

I ran Mobil 1 syn 5w 30 year round. I mainly let my car idle up to operating temp before going home after work and before I left for work. I live in the Chicago area so we get some decently cold days. If your going to add a fitting to the intake pipe pre tb make sure it's at an angle to help maximize vacuum created. Look up the Bernoulli's principle to understand how this will help pull vac on the crankcase. It's how carb's work and how pcv kits for headers pull the fumes out for example.

A baffled catch can helps condensate the oil /vapor and traps it inside the can. They can be made with baffles and steel wool. Before you start cutting or drilling into your valve cover check out My thread with pics of the internals of the eco valve cover so you don't mess anything up. Also you could drill out the factory valve cover filler cap and run a -10 or -12 AN line off that for pcv venting as I know others have posted that before. I can't recall who offers one already drilled and tapped though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 29, 2012 6:39 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search