TVS power records. - Page 3 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: TVS power records.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:42 PM
Tuning forum.

It requires a engine bay harness swap, pcm and a tune.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:32 AM
So I feel like people need to keep expectations in check, whether i'm tuning the car, or there's a thread on a forum like this with good discussion going on. People making anywhere close to the 300whp mark on the M62 are using E85 or blends of ethanol. Pump/meth M62 cars are in the mid 200s range. I can tell you on pump/meth, pushing the limits of the tune i made 211whp on a stock pulley M62 L61 (no heat exchanger system, but it still pulled 207 on the second run).

As far as the TVS1320, guys are making high 200s, low 300s on pump/meth, with fairly small pulleys. Guys that are in the mid 300s + are running ethanol or blends.

Of course I realize we have a half a point of compression and 10% displacement on them, but we also trail in rod:stroke ratio, so is it a wash? Or does one motor have a real advantage over another at, say, a 7k rpm redline? The other factor that affects comparing M62 or TVS LSJ numbers with similarly equipped L61 numbers is the PCM. The LSJ easily has three times the amount of tables as the L61, and operates on MAF/MAP. Additionally, our handicapped PCM/OS limits us from using E85 safely, so it's pump or race fuel plus meth. Our fuel system is superior though, as long as the pump is upgraded. I'm only saying these things because I'm trying to compare cobalt numbers to jbody numbers, and all the differences should be put into light.

See dyno results on cobaltss.net

Even pushing Kyle's CURRENT set up to the absolute limits that the tune will allow, I wouldn't expect 300whp, high 200s would be an achievement. It's a 3.3" pulley, blower speed at 7k engine rpm is less than 14k rpm. LSJ guys making good numbers are running 2.8" or smaller, even seen as small as 2.5" with 7500 engine rpm redline.

Carry on...

Saturday, November 03, 2012 8:26 AM
oldskool wrote:So I feel like people need to keep expectations in check, whether i'm tuning the car, or there's a thread on a forum like this with good discussion going on. People making anywhere close to the 300whp mark on the M62 are using E85 or blends of ethanol. Pump/meth M62 cars are in the mid 200s range. I can tell you on pump/meth, pushing the limits of the tune i made 211whp on a stock pulley M62 L61 (no heat exchanger system, but it still pulled 207 on the second run).

As far as the TVS1320, guys are making high 200s, low 300s on pump/meth, with fairly small pulleys. Guys that are in the mid 300s + are running ethanol or blends.

Of course I realize we have a half a point of compression and 10% displacement on them, but we also trail in rod:stroke ratio, so is it a wash? Or does one motor have a real advantage over another at, say, a 7k rpm redline? The other factor that affects comparing M62 or TVS LSJ numbers with similarly equipped L61 numbers is the PCM. The LSJ easily has three times the amount of tables as the L61, and operates on MAF/MAP. Additionally, our handicapped PCM/OS limits us from using E85 safely, so it's pump or race fuel plus meth. Our fuel system is superior though, as long as the pump is upgraded. I'm only saying these things because I'm trying to compare cobalt numbers to jbody numbers, and all the differences should be put into light.

Even pushing Kyle's CURRENT set up to the absolute limits that the tune will allow, I wouldn't expect 300whp, high 200s would be an achievement. It's a 3.3" pulley, blower speed at 7k engine rpm is less than 14k rpm. LSJ guys making good numbers are running 2.8" or smaller, even seen as small as 2.5" with 7500 engine rpm redline.

Carry on...

Right on.

I truly think we should not be comparing to the Cobalt numbers.

I also think our cars on less power will be just as fast or faster.

FU Tuning

Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:38 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:
oldskool wrote:So I feel like people need to keep expectations in check, whether i'm tuning the car, or there's a thread on a forum like this with good discussion going on. People making anywhere close to the 300whp mark on the M62 are using E85 or blends of ethanol. Pump/meth M62 cars are in the mid 200s range. I can tell you on pump/meth, pushing the limits of the tune i made 211whp on a stock pulley M62 L61 (no heat exchanger system, but it still pulled 207 on the second run).

Carry on...

Right on.

I truly think we should not be comparing to the Cobalt numbers.

I also think our cars on less power will be just as fast or faster.

Completely agree with both comments. There are too many major differences to compare numbers with cobalt numbers.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, November 05, 2012 6:43 PM
What is it that limits the use of E85 with our computers? I've been thinking of trying it at some point.
Monday, November 05, 2012 7:16 PM
the wizard wrote:What is it that limits the use of E85 with our computers? I've been thinking of trying it at some point.

A lot of missing tables in the pcm and a fuel system that would need almost complete replacement.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, November 05, 2012 10:42 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Tinkles(KGM) wrote: i am thinking about just swapping to the LD9 PCM.

I know nothing about this. Is there a thread somewhere I can check out?

John's thread in the tuning forum, and my build in P&M. It's pretty straight forward for the swap...harness, PCM, address the ignition system (need 2200 or msd coils), and tune. Almost all the harness connectors are the same, except for converting the primary o2 to a heated sensor, needing a 2 bar map, and possibly changing tps and injector clips depending on your hardware.

I think there a few of us running the swap successfully now.

Ok, back to TVS sex...

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:39 AM
yeap, there is a few with the swap, you have to reverse the polarity of the ckp sensor, switch the 2 wires.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search