Product Review: O.E.M. phenolic m62 spacer - Page 4 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Product Review: O.E.M. phenolic m62 spacer
Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:50 AM
ideally if i could find proper length M6 threaded shoulder bolts that would be my favored option...prefer not tapping or splicing when not absolutely necessary.

what about longer M6 bolts and some sort of sleeve for the M8 portion instead of the actual shoulder bolt? there seem to be a lot of M62 conversions, but how many actually have the spacer(s)? the results seem to be highly beneficial for $150+shipping...i just wish all the gaskets were included and didnt have to purchase them seperately for the head spacer. Mark said he can get any bolts needed just to give him specs...so maybe once he has proper measurements he can offer a standard 'hardware package' that allows for people to buy both spacers and a bolt package that works good

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:53 AM
Exactly...it cant be hard to get a longer M6 stud and then make a small sleeve for the larger size...or just get a longer version of what GM sells for our kits.
Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:22 AM
any idea of the part number GM includes in the kit? Ill try to hunt it down. I just want to get the bolt situation figured out before its time to actually do the install in 2 weeks

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:02 PM
its in tinkles how to.....but they are no longer available iirc.
Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:08 PM
blu04DD wrote:any idea of the part number GM includes in the kit? Ill try to hunt it down. I just want to get the bolt situation figured out before its time to actually do the install in 2 weeks

I may have the p/n somewhere, possibly in my How To, but they're not available anymore. Besides, i wouldn't bother with them even if they were. Very cheap quality at best. The threads are terrible (we had to clean every thread on each one out of a brand new still in the bag kit), and I've heard of numerous ones breaking off in the head.
Besides, if you're gonna run a spacer, they won't work.

I'm gonna say if you're running no spacer, go with shoulder bolts. Two with a 60mm sleeve, and five with a 10mm sleeve. If you're going with a spacer, just drill and tap the head for m8 bolts. Easy to do, even for first timers.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:24 PM
^^Get away with a starting tap or do you need a bottoming tap as well??
Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:18 PM
if i drill and tap to M8, can i use the stock bolts that come with the LSJ? I have the bolts i believe in the garage that the PO gave me. if tapped, they should be the same length into the head as the Cobalt was, right?
im just worried about needing to tap and then f*cking something up...then that head is no good and this is my dd. It cant be down for more then that afternoon.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:42 AM
What order did you put the gaskets in? original on the manifold side or the blower side?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:22 PM
On the first page I listed it as manifold>paper gasket>spacer>gm o ringed gasket>blower. And I used a little black rtv on thebypass spacer to seal it to the blower.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:25 PM
JUCNBST wrote:On the first page I listed it as manifold>paper gasket>spacer>gm o ringed gasket>blower. And I used a little black rtv on thebypass spacer to seal it to the blower.

thanks i just reread it and missed it....i appreciate the reply.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:34 PM
No biggie, I'm sure someone else down the line would've asked the same thing so atleast it's toward the end now as well haha.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 5:19 PM
For anyone who has one of these... Has anyone had trouble with the bypass leaking? I guess with some good rtv and it being bolted down snug it shouldn't be a problem. It kind of worries me that it's just floating there...

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:18 PM
I used black rtv on the bypass valve and it was fine, the other side seals up on the rubber oring on the lowwer manifold.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:41 PM
i dread ever taking this damn intake manifold off.
such a PITA

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Friday, August 03, 2012 6:19 AM
Yeah I'm not ready to tackle the intake to head spacer yet. I'm only going to take that apart when I have too. I'm just talking about the one that goes between the intake and the blower. Still looking around for heat exchanger parts (and trying to save up some money for quality stuff), so I figured for 100 bucks this couldn't hurt in the interim.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, August 03, 2012 7:30 AM
Good: effectiveness/concept of the product is great, it seems to work very well. I would say for what it costs the end result is worth it.

Bad: lets just say i wish i had a much better experience with my purchase/product that i received (when i finally received it)...

but overall..especially if you can get it on a discounted price, these are well worth the purchase and WILL lower your IATs

Friday, August 03, 2012 11:54 AM
Thanks for the input. I just bought one right now. Didn't realize there was a deal going on, total score

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:21 AM
the OP says there is a paper gasket with the M62 spacer, my spacer that came yesterday has a quark gasket. i don't use quark gaskets often, will that compress enough to use the RTV on the bypass or should i cut a piece of quark for that as well?

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:59 PM
Ditch that and make one out of the paper.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:01 PM
i dont see why there even needs to be a gasket. I might just lay a bead of black RTV. it will take any that may be there, and will seal perfectly as long as both surfaces are clean.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:24 AM
Sparkey05 wrote:the OP says there is a paper gasket with the M62 spacer, my spacer that came yesterday has a quark gasket. i don't use quark gaskets often, will that compress enough to use the RTV on the bypass or should i cut a piece of quark for that as well?

Mine came with the quark gasket too. I have the same concern with the bypass so I'll be cutting my own paper gasket. Never did this before, so does anyone know if there is better or worse gasket material to buy? Planned on just buying a sheet or 2 at advance...

"In Oldskool we trust"

Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:49 PM
i never ran a gasket on my bypass valve spacer...never had a leak issue that i know of...

Sunday, September 09, 2012 12:00 AM
went to intall the spacer tonight and realized that the spacer and the stock gasket orings dont line up.....what did everyone do about this? shouldnt this cause a leak?

Sunday, September 09, 2012 11:32 AM
Pics of how it didn't line up?

Curious since I have one waiting to go as well.
Sunday, September 09, 2012 11:36 AM
the spacer is around the OUTSIDE flange of the blower, the stock gasket seals the inside flange.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search