Time to rebuild the turbo? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Time to rebuild the turbo?
Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:15 AM
I recently got my LD9 running and changed the injector constant for my 60lb inj. Other than that all I've done (bc the site went down) is disable the VATS fuel cut off so this thing would run longer than 3 seconds. I'm using brand new mobile 1 oil but while moving (driving) the car around the parking lot and/or back to the lift it looks like dirty oil is spitting from the turbo onto the firewall. It also blows out a ton of white smoke out the tailpipe. My wideband would read rich at about 10.5-11. Do I need to do more tuning or does the turbo simply need to be rebuilt?

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Re: Time to rebuild the turbo?
Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:40 AM
Are you reading 10.5-11 at idle or wot?

Is it white, blue or black smoke? >>White is coolant and blue is oil and black is fuel
Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:15 AM
Idle to about half throttle and white smoke

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:09 AM
There's no sweet smell. I guess it's more of a dirty white (if that makes sense). It's definitely oil. I was more wondering if it would be something associated with hardly any tuning being done bc I got the turbo used from jmarks who said he had used it on his car without issues. It did sit for a year, but would that effect seals or such inside to cause the need for a turbo rebuild?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:53 PM
Turbo seals can blow without warning for no reason, just replaced one at work that was less than a year old. Check your piping and turbo inlet/outlets for signs of oil residue..

Have a nice day.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search