New idea for Pontiac Sunfire owners - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New idea for Pontiac Sunfire owners
Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:22 AM
Ok so I came up with this idea the other idea when looking at 2001-2005 Corvette ram air intakes. Ok so Corvettes use the front two vents in the front as ram air intakes that go up into the small air filter and then into the engine. Now with the Pontiac sunfire especially the 1996-2000 the way its nose is designed would push a lot of air into its front grilles/vents so I believe it would be great to design a system that is similar to the Corvette. I'll have to continue brain storming for what materials to use, i though of using dual 2" X 3"-4" tubings for each inlet in the front converging at a custom design box that holds the air filter right on the other side of the radiator towards the engine itself, and than directly to the throttle body.

Re: New idea for Pontiac Sunfire owners
Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:13 PM
Those vents feed your radiator. Plug them with something and youll see temps shoot up pretty quick in warm weather. I got a Kroger bag stuck across mine on the highway once and ended having to pull over to clear it. Albeit my car had always ran hot in the summer.

I understand wanting to do something different but ram air is a supplement for a high performance engine. Youre not going to see any noticeable gains over a short ram or long ram in the fender.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:03 PM
first of all 96-00 are 2 different bumpers

2nd of all 95-99 bumper grills are all show they do not function 1 bit theres plastic behind that prevents air from gettin gto the rad
this is why they have an air dam on the lower rad support

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:32 PM
I meant the SE bumpers not the GT bumpers. the SE bumpers are very sharply pointed at the front which would channel the air into the front vents which would be perfect for an Ram air intake.
Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:26 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:first of all 96-00 are 2 different bumpers

2nd of all 95-99 bumper grills are all show they do not function 1 bit theres plastic behind that prevents air from gettin gto the rad
this is why they have an air dam on the lower rad support

That plastic is the same piece as the air dam. It runs up from the bottom of the car. Like I said. Block them and drive around on the highway. Youll see.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:49 PM
just like nota2 4 said the air dam blocks the vents, I'd just remove it and modify to where i can make use of the holes
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search