air-oil separator issue - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
air-oil separator issue
Monday, January 14, 2013 12:15 PM
Hey all, I'm new here. I have a 2.4 twin cam, fully rebuilt and supercharged, but since I've gotten it back from the shop it seems to be gathering oil in the intake tube by the throttle body. I have tried to do some research and am thinking it's the air-oil separator. My question is if I put a breather filter on the end of the tube and cap off the intake, will less oil be sucked out of the system? I'm lost. I need some info... thanks guys./

Re: air-oil separator issue
Monday, January 14, 2013 6:26 PM
you need to get a catch can.

It is coming from the oil air separator. They do this stock.

I have a 01 Z24 on factory motor with the M45 charger. When I did a catch can it stopped that, and changed the oil consumption as well.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:00 AM
^^This

Also make sure the catch can is non-vented and is baffled
Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:02 PM
why non-vented? Would this not just pressureize the whole catch system?

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:15 PM
It should be run the the intake tract so that it has a constant vacuum.
Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:42 AM
It will have constant vacuum anyway, however when boosting it will also maintain pressure, if it didn't work vented how do you think so many people get away with attaching a filter off the nipple on the valve cover?

Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:03 AM
You get away with it but it isnt functioning properly.

There is two ways you can design your pcv system to work. Vented or not. They are built in different ways.

But if you feel your way is correct by all means stick with that way. In the end do what makes you happy.

But I feel comfortable doing it the way ive read works, when it comes to ecos and superchargers.
Monday, January 21, 2013 1:51 PM
Philly,

The stock systems on our cars are vented.....

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:29 PM
How so.....typically it comes off the valve cover and to the intake tract.

Least it did on my 2200 and current eco.

That is a closed system. The venturi effect on the intake pulls a vacuum
Monday, January 21, 2013 6:38 PM
jason norwood wrote:Philly,

The stock systems on our cars are vented.....

Our stock system uses the intake vacuum to pull gases back into the intake tract.. No venting, which is why people experience issues when the orifice in the head clogs. A vented catch can will work, but not nearly effective has a sealed one.

{quote=jason norwood]how do you think so many people get away with attaching a filter off the nipple on the valve cover?

Ever notice those people have crap stuck all over there valve cover and probably a blackened filter? That's the system backing up to the point where's it's pushing itself out the filter from too much pressure...I'd personally have that pressure relieved before it pushes itself out by necessity. Just cause someone does it, doesn't mean it's done properly.

To the OP, do like Philly says. Sealed, baffled catch can (no cheap ebay can which is no more than a soda can with fittings), run to an intake source (make sure it's pre blower) and you're golden.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search