Snout diameter on GMPP m45 for LD9 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Snout diameter on GMPP m45 for LD9
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:30 AM
I have searched and founf nothing....

Does anyone know what size of the snout of the GMPP SC (M45) for the LD9 is....

like the diameter of the aluminum where it meets the pulley....

I would measure it myself, but i am about 500 miles away from my car currently.

Trying to figure out how much meat would need to be removed in order to fit certain size pulleys....

I am told the snoout has to be .3" smaller than the pulley diameter.... so a 2.5" pulley cant go on a snout larger than 2.2"....

i just wonder how big our snouts are... so i can get an idea what size pulley will bolt on, and which will need a visit from Mr. Dremel.

Re: Snout diameter on GMPP m45 for LD9
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:57 AM
just run it on the bolt, fast as sheeeaaat

seriously though i have a 2.5" on mine and it went on fine.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:01 AM
BOOSTED / JMdecals.com! wrote:seriously though i have a 2.5" on mine and it went on fine.

really? i thought anything smaller than 2.6 needed nose machined.

Do you have a modular 2.5"? or a press on? (who made your pulley?)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:38 AM
I want to know this as well because that would be news to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:39 AM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:37 PM
my pulley boys press on went on fine being 2.5"

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:24 PM
And you are 100% sure it is a 2.5?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:32 PM
My 2.6 was catching the snout pretty good..........When I sent mine to Stiegemeier they machined it down for me.

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:21 PM
I never had any issues with my 2.6 pulley boys pulley. the 2.5" took some slight sanding, and the 2.4" took some grinding.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:00 PM
wow i dont see how you guys could even still be in the efficiency range with a 2.5, and hell a 2.4?!

what kinda boost are you guys seeing?

Wanting a nice set of black 17's with mint tires? Pm me.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:14 PM
7.5 PSI due to the top end on my engine. Rough calculation put the blower at 17,500RPM at rev limit (where I made peak power, never played with the program). I would have no problem doing it again.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:04 AM
mitdr774 wrote:7.5 PSI due to the top end on my engine. Rough calculation put the blower at 17,500RPM at rev limit (where I made peak power, never played with the program). I would have no problem doing it again.

Just think what you could have done with HPT back then.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:12 AM
iirc a few years ago pulley boys made the 2.6 and 2.5, but it hit the snout. pulleyboys later was able to modify the design for both to make them fit wih the help of some org members.

personally i wouldnt run smaller than 2.6, and use alky with that (i currently have 2.7 and no alky, and no major problems besides some slightly hot iat under FT)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:06 AM
well, viper is correct i have the 2.5" PB pulley that they machined to work with NO SANDING. Also we all know theres a few "secrets" as to why i am running the 2.5" pulley now

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:26 AM
Viper98912 wrote:iirc a few years ago pulley boys made the 2.6 and 2.5, but it hit the snout. pulleyboys later was able to modify the design for both to make them fit wih the help of some org members.

personally i wouldnt run smaller than 2.6, and use alky with that (i currently have 2.7 and no alky, and no major problems besides some slightly hot iat under FT)

Thanks for the info. I was unaware pulley boys had changed the design thus my confusion.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:50 AM
BOOSTED / JMdecals.com! wrote: Also we all know theres a few "secrets" as to why i am running the 2.5" pulley now

You and the secrets... quite the man of mystery you are.

Anyway....

i measured my snout (now that i am home) and right at the back of the pulley, i am showing 2.21"

According to Nate of "smoothflow pulleys" you can typically run a pulley 0.3" larger than your snout diameter.

Thus a 2.21 nose like mine should work down to a 2.5" pulley.... (but that .01 may need some sanding...)

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:12 PM
ken soggs wrote:
BOOSTED / JMdecals.com! wrote: Also we all know theres a few "secrets" as to why i am running the 2.5" pulley now

You and the secrets... quite the man of mystery you are.

Anyway....

i measured my snout (now that i am home) and right at the back of the pulley, i am showing 2.21"

According to Nate of "smoothflow pulleys" you can typically run a pulley 0.3" larger than your snout diameter.

Thus a 2.21 nose like mine should work down to a 2.5" pulley.... (but that .01 may need some sanding...)

Generally I try to keep the pulley inside diameter (I.D.) 0.3" smaller than the pulley size, but if needed, I can take it down to 0.25" smaller so running a 2.5 on a 2.21" snout would be no problem.

Nate
www.smoothflowpulleys.com
sales@smoothflowpulleys.com

Owner/operator of Smoothflow Pulleys & Machining.
Smoothflow Pulleys & Machining Modular Pulley System Group Purchase
Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:34 AM
mitdr774 wrote:7.5 PSI due to the top end on my engine. Rough calculation put the blower at 17,500RPM at rev limit (where I made peak power, never played with the program). I would have no problem doing it again.

Isn't the Supercharger only rated to 14,000RPM's?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:56 PM
does anyone know if the M45 pulley shaft is threaded and if so if it is "M8"?

reason i ask is because ZZP has a machining tool that you can use on the m62 to cut the snout down for use with smaller pulleys. it needs a thread "M8" shaft to work. i would like to try and maybe run a 2.4" on mine one day but since im going to have it apart for a rebuild i would like to machine the snout now versus later.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:08 PM
3800 guys use that tool when goin smaller then 2.8"

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search