Turbo Advice - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo Advice
Monday, March 11, 2013 11:11 AM
Alright guys, So here is where I stand.

I am currently finishing up my engine/tranny build. Here is the setup:

Bottom:
Wiseco Pistons 8.9: 1 comp (new rings,pins,the works)
Eagle H-beam rods
Clevite bearings (mains and rods)
reforged stock crank

Head: (Ported and polish)
ARP head studs
Ferrea Valve Train
Titanium valves (std size)
Titanium springs, retainers,keepers, etc.

Tranny:
Getrag swap (stock internals)
Stock cv shafts

So what I am considering is, since I am waiting for the head (porting) to get finished, continuing with the turbo install. Honestly my main set back is having too many variables to factor in for the first start (mainly electrics). I have rebuilt everything under the hood (even down to the rack and pinion :/ ) and adapted the wiring harness from the auto to manual myself.
So that being said, have any of you guys faced such a dramatic change in a short period of time and did you run in to many issues when getting it running? And ultimately would you, if you were in the same place, continue with the turbo build or wait and get it running NA then turbo?

You drive a cavalier? Why yes... yes I do.

Re: Turbo Advice
Monday, March 11, 2013 11:43 AM
I'd get it running n/a again that way you know there's 0 problems with it and you know it wasn't something with the turbo build..... That's me tho
Monday, March 11, 2013 11:51 AM
Thanks Chris,
That's what I was leaning towards.

Monday, March 11, 2013 11:58 AM
If it were me, I would definitely take my time and get it running N/A. Every time I try to do too much I end up getting into trouble.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, March 11, 2013 12:12 PM
^ Ha, Ya tell me about it. It really has set me back because I wasn't the original owner of the car and the personal before attempted to do a few different mods. ....caused a lot of hell for me down the road.

Monday, March 11, 2013 12:37 PM
I bought a modded car for the first time almost a year ago. Thank god everything was done right, I was so worried.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, March 11, 2013 12:57 PM
Ya you don't realize how lucky you are when you buy one that is done right, until you buy one that isn't :/
But I have fixed everything that was screwed up so yay!

Monday, March 11, 2013 1:40 PM
If I was doing it again I would never even turbo it... Id never have put as much money into it as i have and banked it all. much smarter decision

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:03 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:If I was doing it again I would never even turbo it... Id never have put as much money into it as i have and banked it all. much smarter decision

Same her

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Monday, March 11, 2013 6:58 PM
I disagree I have had fun and learned a lot. Buy prices slowly and it will happen.
Monday, March 11, 2013 7:05 PM
I'm in the process of a build, and I didnt know a damn thing about boost 6months ago. I enjoying the experience and knowledge myself.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:29 AM
Quote:

I'm in the process of a build, and I didnt know a damn thing about boost 6months ago. I enjoying the experience and knowledge myself.

^ Ya, this is the second one for me. The first was a 4g63T but everything there was just a simple part swap. This time around is much more "custom". Well at least in the fact that the cavy never came turbo.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:51 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:If I was doing it again I would never even turbo it... Id never have put as much money into it as i have and banked it all. much smarter decision

this

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:36 AM
if you dont spend ur money on one thing youll spend it on another. ill never understand why people regret having fun with their cars. if you mod a car with the idea that you'll some how magically get it all back just step away.

OP: titanium valves? you sure you dont mean stainless steel? lol

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:13 PM
This

I don't get why they don't all part out (we would love their parts) and quit buying more makes 0 sense?!?!?

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:if you dont spend ur money on one thing youll spend it on another. ill never understand why people regret having fun with their cars. if you mod a car with the idea that you'll some how magically get it all back just step away.

OP: titanium valves? you sure you dont mean stainless steel? lol

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:28 PM
Baby steps...

First get it together, and get it started N/A. Requires no tuning and requires no extras... this way you can troubleshoot any issues (and there WILL be some.)

Then once you are happy with how its running, slowly get your parts for boost or buy a used kit and refresh some parts.

As for regretting spending $$$ on a car... I regret the money aspect. There have been times with my house that I wish I had the money I dumped into cars to put into the house, as it is a far better investment of that money.

But in terms of what I've learned, the experiences I've had, the friends I've made and the fun times... I wouldn't trade it for all that money back. Not for a second.

Do yourself a favour... go slow.. enjoy the modding process... and don't do too many things at once that will cause serious downtime with the car. If you don't get to enjoy it while modding it then you will sour very quickly and regret the whole thing.

Good luck!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search