Opinions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Opinions
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:19 PM
Okay so lets begin.
My Car
2004 ecotec approximately 82k miles on it 5spd 1SV (Up to date mods are in registry)
Currently I was planning on building a very mild N/A build.
During this process I managed to acquire:
Comp Cams Stage 1
Supertech 78lb valve springs kit
Patriot Stage 2 head (also with valve springs)
ARP Head Studs

I was also thinking it would be fun to have a boosted car.
My most recent plan was to install a Saab turbo kit to my my future N/A build.
My question is would I be better off with stock cams or Comp Cams Stage 1?
Both cams would be installed into the Patriot Head.
Thanks for your advice.

gilligan

Re: Opinions
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:32 PM
from what i understood from most of the members here the patriot head was an oversized paperweight compared to what is available from a ported gm head (not necessarily from a l61)

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:15 PM
^^

From what I can recall the port was fine ...maybe a little mild but the valvetrain parts were not the best.

For the money id spend it at M2
Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:06 AM
An M2 head is going to run you about $1200 + a head. Its not a small investment by any means but it outflows any ecotec based port on the market. Not to mention its all CnC ported. My L61 patriot stage 2 head failed due to the casting and porosity from the lost foam cast process. The LSJ head is a sand cast head which is much tighter material than the lost foam process.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:28 AM
Well the thing is I already ahve supertech valve springs retainers and locators so im not so worried about that.
The head I already bought and got for a deal and I looked into M2 and like stated before its $1200 which was out of my price range.
I was more concerned with which cams would pair up better with a saab turbo if i decided to go that route Stage 1's or stock.

BuiltNBoosted do you think my PAtriot head would fail if I keep my car N/A with comp cams and the upgraded valve train I have and plan on installing?

gilligan
Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:18 AM
You will have to get a tune either way. Stage 1's are hardly and aggressive cam at all. Pretty close to stock if I recall. That being said you can tune to the cams with the stage 1's. Not many people are looking for stage 1's so you may as well use them. Saab or N/A wont decide if your head fails. Dealerships have seen brand new cars heads seeping through the pores as well as 10k mile cars. Its just the luck of the draw.

If I were you, I would just boost it and go with it. No matter what you will need to get HP Tuned or I think I recall some people using the reflash... But you will still need tuned regardless so you may as well boost with saab since its such a cheap option.

Friday, March 15, 2013 12:43 AM
I know of one person who did the saab turbo on his 04 5spd LSS recently. Ive actually driven, been in, and seen the setup....he's on the cav gm reflash, and he's running 'okay'. Its smooth, and after doing a reset on his ECU apparently its running rich now at WOT. but if you plan on upgrading from the 36lb/hr injectors, turbo, or any other major component, you need to really plan a tune option ahead of time. I dont have the tune experience these other guys have, but man it is my achillies heal and has been since last March. Im dead in the water and people prob get tired of hearing me say 'waitin on a tune!' lol. I have a ton of great parts upgrades, they look great in my garage and have for a really long time. lol

your other option is the Cobalt SS/SC supercharger set up. May not be the favorite or as 'cool' as turbo setups by majority, but its cleaner, easy, and very fun. Youd be surprisd how many decent turbo setups even on our platform ive run, all on a really crappy tune and i get lots of compliments when the hood goes up.

just think about where you want to be power-wise. just when you get where you want to be...youll want more and it'll require a complete overhaul lol...murphy's law

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search