M62 Idler Pulley - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
M62 Idler Pulley
Monday, April 15, 2013 8:28 AM
Hey guys,

Need some info. I installed my m62 kit and all is well, but I need a idler pulley. Its screaming causing a huge noise from under the hood, and the shop im getting it tuned at wont touch it to tune it since they are worried it might show up at phantom knock especially if there is any play in it. I have called GM with the part number 12584364 (Idler bracket assy w/pulley) and they told me it seems to be on backorder. I have looked at Napa, O'Rileys, Autozone, & Pep Boys, and they all show listings for the tensioner pulley. Now, when I look at Pep Boys, they show the same number but it says Idler Pulley. But when I cross the number in my system (I work for Napa) it says its the tensioner pulley. I havent taken it off the car yet, as I dont want to not be able to move the car should it need be. I will be removing it today to see if its the same, but I was hoping someone can point me to where someone might have one. Any and all help is appreciated. Hell, if you give me a part number I could cross that also in my systems. Thanks again guys!!!

Re: M62 Idler Pulley
Monday, April 15, 2013 10:21 AM
gmpartsdirect.com has it for $40.99, not sure on back order part.

FU Tuning

Monday, April 15, 2013 11:37 AM
yeah I saw that. thats whats weird. I called the chevy dealership here in illinois that deals with gm performance parts and they told me that it was on B/o. I dont want to order the part from gm parts direct and find out it is on b/o and then I wait. I was hoping someone had a aftermarket place u can go and get it. or even a number and ill see if my company sells it.

Monday, April 15, 2013 4:45 PM
Contact mongorat off css.net.

Also browse their classifieds.

Also try crate engine depot...give them a call.
Monday, April 15, 2013 4:56 PM
Philly D wrote:Contact mongorat off css.net.

Also browse their classifieds.

Also try crate engine depot...give them a call.

thanks man, I aftually called crateenginedepot because they are actually rockenback chevy in grays lake, they are the ones who told me it was on back order. oh well.

But I found a solution!!!

I went to the local napa and browsed there pulley section since I know the manager and FOUND A METAL REPLACEMENT!! the part number from Napa is 36326, the line code is NBH (in case ur napa guy cant find it for some reason tell them the line code then part nukber). it bolts right up, 100% same diameter, metal, and same number of grooves. I just installed it.on my car, and the loud squeeling noise is gone. at firsf I didnt think it would line up, but after running the car for a few mins, I turned it off and the belt is.still on, everything is lines up and the belt doesnt show any wear. I hope this goes to help someone down the line. but thank you to the guys who responded, I sure appreciate it!!!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:21 AM
you can drive your car without your belt short distances, just as if your serpentine belt broke. you could prob go up to 45-60minutes without an alternator with no lights/radio/ ac on or whatever. I know, ive done it in my jeeps plenty of times and my cavalier 3 weeks ago when my serpentine belt shredded up on the highway.

but i found it to be very annoying when everyone kept calling the idler assembly a tensioner assembly. The more expensive one is the one with the shock/arm/pulley, thats most likely the sound you're hearing.

my tensioner shock was blown so it was making a nasty rattling sound. I think it allowed the belt to be loose enough to jump ribs and basically got sliced up under load.
what makes you think its your 'idler' and not the tensioner shock thats bad?
i just picked up a brand new OEM tensioner assembly with shot, pully, bracket, for $150 including tax at a dealership
but the idler drive pulley is only $33.99 on Rockauto. It could be just a bad bearing on the pulley itself. put a long screw driver up to the part you suspect and while the engine is running put your ear on the screw driver. the culprit should be pretty audible

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:43 AM
blu04DD wrote:you can drive your car without your belt short distances, just as if your serpentine belt broke. you could prob go up to 45-60minutes without an alternator with no lights/radio/ ac on or whatever. I know, ive done it in my jeeps plenty of times and my cavalier 3 weeks ago when my serpentine belt shredded up on the highway.

but i found it to be very annoying when everyone kept calling the idler assembly a tensioner assembly. The more expensive one is the one with the shock/arm/pulley, thats most likely the sound you're hearing.

my tensioner shock was blown so it was making a nasty rattling sound. I think it allowed the belt to be loose enough to jump ribs and basically got sliced up under load.
what makes you think its your 'idler' and not the tensioner shock thats bad?
i just picked up a brand new OEM tensioner assembly with shot, pully, bracket, for $150 including tax at a dealership
but the idler drive pulley is only $33.99 on Rockauto. It could be just a bad bearing on the pulley itself. put a long screw driver up to the part you suspect and while the engine is running put your ear on the screw driver. the culprit should be pretty audible

Thanks for the reply. It was the Idler. I know what the tensioner and the idler are, as I am a manager from Napa Auto Parts But I couldnt find a good number on the damn idler pulley itself. So after calling Crate engine depot which is Rockenback Chevy here in illinois, the guy told me it was on back order and there was no number for the pulley itself. So instead of ordering the whole thing and waiting a few days, as I wanted it to get to the tuner as soon as possible, I went to my local Napa store and found one that would work, and it was metal which makes it better, IMO anyways, I used it, and now the car is at the tuner waiting to be tuned. I listed the part number above, I hope it helps someone out later on down the line.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:45 PM
Glad to see it's ready for a tune. Mike, might want to pick up an upgraded fuel pump harness from racetronix. It will allow you to bump the alt voltage giving you a little more potential out of that stock fuel pump.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search