boost and alunimun flywheel - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
boost and alunimun flywheel
Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:42 AM
I bought a aluminum flywheel to put on my turbo 2.3 quad4 I built for my chevy beretta gtz and I am ready to put the motor in but someone told that it would be a bad idea to use a aluminum flywheel on a turbocharged motor. Have any of you guys used a aluminum flywheel and had it fail and what should I use? aluminum or steel flywheel!

Re: boost and alunimun flywheel
Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:47 AM
#1berettaman1991gtz wrote:I bought a aluminum flywheel to put on my turbo 2.3 quad4 I built for my chevy beretta gtz and I am ready to put the motor in but someone told that it would be a bad idea to use a aluminum flywheel on a turbocharged motor. Have any of you guys used a aluminum flywheel and had it fail and what should I use? aluminum or steel flywheel!
by the way my clutch is a stage 4+ and my goal is around 600hp.
Sunday, April 28, 2013 1:43 PM
Ecotec here but I have a twin disc clutch with aluminum flywheel. All that is different is that it revs and rev drops faster.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:33 PM
^^ and it accelerates the car quicker. if you know how to shift the dropping in revs shouldnt really affect it.

with as heavy as a quad 4's rotating assembly is i would definitely go for it.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Monday, April 29, 2013 7:58 AM
After seeing the nightmare that many have gone through with Aluminum flywheels on this platform I opted to go with a lightened stock unit. Was shaved from 18 lbs down to 11lbs. Not quite as light as the aluminum units but I have peace of mind.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, April 29, 2013 8:12 AM
All the Fidanza and spec units that failed were from the first design. The second design is MUCH thicker.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 29, 2013 4:42 PM
Not to mention mine is a clutch masters!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search