M62 mods: Venom cooler & Lightweight Rotors - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: M62 mods: Venom cooler & Lightweight Rotors
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:12 PM
Philly D wrote:There is 2 right now in the Css.net classifieds. One for 1600 and another for 1500.

They very rarely come up and when they do they are sold in minutes. These ones must have hit a time when people didnt have the cash.

Edit....there is one left...

LOL exactly.. I check css once a week or so looking for one but apparently that isn't frequent enough.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:24 PM
By the way..

blu04DD wrote:and i have the entire meth set up. its just not installed. the main thing is where to tap the nozzle. the tb adapter is expensive..f*cking that up will be a pricey mistake. My other option is to tap the tb itself somehow or buy a spacer to put between the tb and the tb spacer. this would however definitely require a battery relocation to the trunk as my space is literally used up.

Just putting this out there from some cobalt guys I've been hanging out with (I know, I know....). They were talking about how a bunch of guys have tapped the intake manifold and sprayed the water/meth directly on or near the laminova cores to aid in cooling them down. Haven't researched this as a viable option but mentioning it because I heard it just the other day. At the very least it would keep it away from the rotors in the s/c and prevent erosion of the Teflon coating on them.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:21 PM
yeah that's something Ive come across before too. It probably works as its a more direct injected approach, makes sense.
But, my meth spray will be mostly 'pure' water and Im not into the idea of tapping my only LSJ manifold. Maybe if I found a spare for cheap I could tap that and see, but for a dd I wont tap major components with the risk of messing it up and having a gaping hole in my manifold lol.

And that is crazy how fast TVS's get picked up. I don't have the cash for that now anyways. but ill toss ideas around. IF (big IF) I end up having to rebuild my bottom end anyways, im going to just do it right, for big power. then, a TVS budget will come into play. If my bottom end is good and I just need new valves, ill rebuild the head with my new parts, port it, and have a good day. lol

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:16 AM
blu04DD wrote:
a ported TVS

Harrop says that porting the HTV1320LSJ will actually decease performance.

Y3llowCav wrote:
Philly D wrote:Tinkles and Wizard both have the TVS on the stock bottom end....

And they're waiting for them to blow.

Yea we are.

blu04DD wrote:im curious if the TVS on a small pulley and fully built motor would bottleneck at the stock LSJ intake manifold..

It is already a bottle neck with the M62. Roots blowers just move the air, they do not compress it. The compression takes place in the manifold.

blu04DD wrote: 400fwhp+ via supercharger on a jbody would be epic.. O.o

Be patient. My engine build is next on the list.

For when i finally get on meth, i plan on picking up a tapped blower to intake manifold spacer.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:42 AM
Meth hurting the rotors isn't a issue. When you get a charger ported they normally remove the coating anyways.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:48 AM
why do they even put teflon on the rotors to begin with?

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:31 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:why do they even put teflon on the rotors to begin with?

10-1 bet that it has something to do with airflow over the rotors or longevity...

That's the first thing that comes to mind for me, anyway.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:03 AM
A TVS would be awesome from a power and efficiency view but from an ear view the M62 sounds better...at least from youtube vids you either dont hear a TVS at all or just barely. I'd greatly miss that loud M62 whine

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:19 AM
one of the primary purposes of the teflon coating is to further close the distance between the rotors for more boost. I believe its also a thermal thing, helps reduce heat generated at those high RPMs.
my stock m62 has perfect rotors with teflon, the ported m62 is missing 99.9% of the teflon coating. PO ran high amounts of methenol and it stripped them. lower amounts or mostly water mixture wont hurt the teflon at all.
im going to swap rotors out before putting the blower back in.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:26 AM
Luke C wrote:A TVS would be awesome from a power and efficiency view but from an ear view the M62 sounds better...at least from youtube vids you either dont hear a TVS at all or just barely. I'd greatly miss that loud M62 whine

ive driven and seen plenty of turbo jbodies, i still would take a blower set up hands down unless i was shooting for like 500hp+
that whine is the reason my fuel mileage is worse than it should be...i miss it and its only been a week. Im driving around my truck and G37S and i would rather have my cavalier back. I cant wait to fire it up all fresh and tuned and pulling out of the garage on a beautiful blue sky day and hear her at WOT again....

Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:18 PM
Luke C wrote:I'd greatly miss that loud M62 whine

Once in a while i miss the M62 whine, but most of the time i am too busy thinking of how awesome the TVS is and i only have a huge pulley on it.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:28 PM
ive heard that it does it sure but i dont understand how methanol will eat the teflon off the rotors. unless its an inferior way of coating i have no idea. teflon sticks to cooking pans to upwards of 400 degrees and stays true with all kinds of cooking oils and foods etc. its tough ish.

if the teflon is so BA, why does steigemier remove it when you send them your blower to get ported/rebuilt? seems to me like it'd be a good idea to coat them with thermal barrier like pistons or combustion chambers... but the question then becomes, whats better.. to hold the heat into the rotors, or let them breathe?

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:53 PM
The Teflon does not come off because of the meth.

The meth will though help the Teflon come off if you have rotors in bad condition. If there is chips in the coating then it will come off. There are many people who have ran meth for many years through the m62 and have had no Teflon come off. The TVS I have read though should not have meth sprayed through it. Apparently doesn't play nice with the bearings in it and they lock up. Most people spray pre blower by tapping their intake just fine.
Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:34 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ive heard that it does it sure but i dont understand how methanol will eat the teflon off the rotors. unless its an inferior way of coating i have no idea. teflon sticks to cooking pans to upwards of 400 degrees and stays true with all kinds of cooking oils and foods etc. its tough ish.

if the teflon is so BA, why does steigemier remove it when you send them your blower to get ported/rebuilt? seems to me like it'd be a good idea to coat them with thermal barrier like pistons or combustion chambers... but the question then becomes, whats better.. to hold the heat into the rotors, or let them breathe?

Teflon is a great coating and it is strong but just like anything else it can be chipped and stripped. Next time you cook use a metal fork to stir whatever's in your pan and sooner than later you'll be replacing your pan. Once it starts to flake and peel its only a matter of time.

From looking at the thermal conductivity and what not, Teflon could be a good thermal barrier coating for the temps that the air inside an SC would see. The reason you wouldnt use it in an engine is because of how its properties degrade as temperature increase. Its really just a very slippery plastic.

IMO youd want to keep heat ouf of the rotors. Its the same idea as using a phenolic spacer to prevent your intake and S/C casing from heat soaking from engine heat.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:10 PM
ah ok makes sense. i didnt think the meth would literally just eat away at the teflon like everyone makes it out to sound...

so, back to the venom cooler... wondering if its possible to see too cool of iat's? because if i do the venom cooler, meth/water, cryo2 intake chilling system, and possible laminova cores on the inside of the manifold with a heat exchanger setup i seriously dont see any reason why i couldnt have 30-50 degree IAT's under wot... maybe even cooler depending on how the cryo2 setup works... i say that because using only meth/water my m45 sees 90-110* iat's on hot days under WOT.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search