M45 IAT's - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
M45 IAT's
Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:58 PM
So been playing around with my setup a little. I'm always looking for ways to make it perform better.

So it is a Ported M45 with 2.5 pulley on the charger, and MD Pulley overdriven crank pulley. With the help of personally mixed meth and water.

I did a 2 gear to 4 gear pull today while datalogging. IAT's right before the pull were 133 degree's. At the end of the pull they were 127 degree's. They did climb to 138 at the start, but then dropped.

I think this just goes to prove you can spin the M45 hard and not have too much heat. I live in Fl which is hot and humid, but it works.

FU Tuning

Re: M45 IAT's
Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:58 PM
Where is the sensor are on the m45 setup?

Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:27 PM
EvoFire wrote:Where is the sensor are on the m45 setup?

After the charger, post boost.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:41 PM
just think if you ran a phenolic spacer, had the inside of the ports/tb snout thermal barrier coated and the exterior mirror polished about how much better the iat's would get!

120 degrees is good for a blower sure but think about it... thats still hotter than ambient.

do you have an actual cooler air than engine bay intake on it? i cant remember..

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:51 PM
its too bad there no intercooler setup for that blower its not like its even able to be made like the 3800 ones unless you could find a header core long enough to cover all 4 ports on the charger

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:35 PM
brad I don't think polishing the outside will do what you think. I have a spacer, but won't use it.

also if I use the purge I can have the temps the same as outside temps.

I have a wai with a cold air ducking

FU Tuning

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:24 PM
i do, john. im pretty sure eaton powdercoats the blower from their factory. if not its at least painted... and either or will hold the heat inside the blower where you dont want it. now.. polishing the surface might not exactly do anything but its more so getting whatever it is thats covering the surface off of it to allow for better heat discipation.

this is one thing ill never understand when people paint/powdercoat their blowers. i think its retarded. might be equate to much difference on say something like an intercoolable m62 but with our Heaton m45's? we need all the effing help we can get.

i think i am gonna go so far as actually header tape wrapping my intake tube to get an even cooler charge coming in.

with that, and the OEM phenolic spacer i think it should do ok til i get a nice meth kit for it.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:29 PM
Polishing is for aesthetic purposes only. And Stiegemeier confirmed that here a while back too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:36 PM
again, it ALSO removes the coating/paint that holds in heat on the blower.

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:52 PM
Brad. My setup is damn effcient. I do not think the removing the paint would make enougn of a difference at this piont.

Also it will not make enough of a difference to justify not running meth. I would go so far to bet you will have higher iat's on no meth and all you want to do, on a 2.6, or 2.8 than I do on my setup and 2.5.

Using a Brad statement "if your going to do it do it right".

FU Tuning

Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:40 PM
with an m45 all the help you can get is best. i dont care if it only lowers the iat's 5 degrees. its better than what it was.

and i agree, definitely wont make up the difference between using meth and not but like i said... even if it helps just a little bit ITS STILL HELPING!

Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:32 PM
... And here I was thinking I did a lot of this research back in 06...

M5 Nozzle, 100 PSI pump, On at 3PSI, Water only.

>100 Deg in under 7 seconds, with a OS crank and 2.6 charger pulley.

Any questions?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:50 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:... And here I was thinking I did a lot of this research back in 06...

M5 Nozzle, 100 PSI pump, On at 3PSI, Water only.

>100 Deg in under 7 seconds, with a OS crank and 2.6 charger pulley.

Any questions?

Chris

no questions because I have a great setup.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:50 PM
why are you guys only using it as an intercooler bandaid? also use the @!#$ as it was intended... more timing!

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:59 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:why are you guys only using it as an intercooler bandaid? also use the @!#$ as it was intended... more timing!

Who said I was using it as a intercooler bandaid?

FU Tuning

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:14 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:why are you guys only using it as an intercooler bandaid? also use the @!#$ as it was intended... more timing!

So are your assuming I did not do that?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:38 AM
well thats all you girls talk about is how it only benefits the iats... lol

if you added timing then great... obviously thats how you pulled a 13.7, chris. and well, we will never know what john's runs because he's afraid of the drag strip or something.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:09 PM
LOL

Common knowledge, with heat you pull timing... so I guess Tom and I figgered with cooling we add?

I pulled that time because it was a bone stock LD9 with 12xK on it!

Sucks right? why did I not swap LD2 cams in?

Fail

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:22 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:well thats all you girls talk about is how it only benefits the iats... lol

if you added timing then great... obviously thats how you pulled a 13.7, chris. and well, we will never know what john's runs because he's afraid of the drag strip or something.

less heat more timing. That is why I talk about timing. Also you can only add so much timing anyways.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:38 PM
hey john, how long do you hit your purge for? i found out here about a month ago i had my anti-siphoning solenoid on backwards and it was still siphoning at idle and low speed etc... charger iats were 60 degrees while crusing and like 50 at wot (this was with the 175cc nozzle) but it was drowning out the plugs and TPS and draining the entire tank in like 20 miles LOL

ive since got the siphoning issue 100% fixed and now can accurately gauge the real time IAT's on my interceptor gauge. i would say on average, 60-90 degree ambiant temps cruising i see 90-110*. at WOT it climbs to about 125 and then slowly starts to come down. ends up about 120* using the 525cc big boy nozzle. the main problem with this big nozzle is the fact that without meth/water my AFR's at WOT are 12.2-12.6.... on meth/water they literally drop to 10.1-10.4. waaaaaay too rich. so rich in fact you can feel it nose over power wise. so i need to get this thing tuned before i can run the meth setup properly. i wont switch out the big nozzle either, the thing works too damn good.

so i see why you would like the purge and would like to set up a button for my setup as well. just wondering how long i should hold it down for before it starts messing up my tps and plugs... thoughts?

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:55 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:hey john, how long do you hit your purge for? i found out here about a month ago i had my anti-siphoning solenoid on backwards and it was still siphoning at idle and low speed etc... charger iats were 60 degrees while crusing and like 50 at wot (this was with the 175cc nozzle) but it was drowning out the plugs and TPS and draining the entire tank in like 20 miles LOL

ive since got the siphoning issue 100% fixed and now can accurately gauge the real time IAT's on my interceptor gauge. i would say on average, 60-90 degree ambiant temps cruising i see 90-110*. at WOT it climbs to about 125 and then slowly starts to come down. ends up about 120* using the 525cc big boy nozzle. the main problem with this big nozzle is the fact that without meth/water my AFR's at WOT are 12.2-12.6.... on meth/water they literally drop to 10.1-10.4. waaaaaay too rich. so rich in fact you can feel it nose over power wise. so i need to get this thing tuned before i can run the meth setup properly. i wont switch out the big nozzle either, the thing works too damn good.

so i see why you would like the purge and would like to set up a button for my setup as well. just wondering how long i should hold it down for before it starts messing up my tps and plugs... thoughts?

When I did my testing it was for like 3 seconds at a time.

Since you can read iat's you would want to play with it some and figure out what works best.

12.2 AFR is fine, I'm actually targeting around that. 12.6 yeah leaner than I would want.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search