m45 ld9 build asking for opinions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
m45 ld9 build asking for opinions
Friday, May 31, 2013 4:11 PM
So I've been thinking about doing the gmpp m45 kit and doing a small build I have read a lot on here and other forms and I see this trend that people are having a hard time gettin to and above the 250 HP mark so what on getting at here is I wanna try a full port and polish on the stock head stainless valves jbody performance stage 2 cams and upgraded valve springs port and polish the blower and go with a small pully and possibly an od crank pully to smash some boost in her I got a really good tuner guy since Gm tune is @!#$ and of course exhaust etc meth injection to keep the boost cooled down best I can Idk what to do throttle body wise maybe I can adapt a ported or aftermarket ls1 tb on there and make it work ill figure that out but OS it possible to get a built like that in the 300+ HP range set up and tuned right with a good clutch and driver mod + traction or and I having a wet dream here?

Sorry for my spelling lol all the input on this will be awsome thank you all!

I Love My J ♡

Re: m45 ld9 build asking for opinions
Friday, May 31, 2013 4:37 PM
The issue with the m45 and big power is blower size and efficiency. It just can't flow the amount of air required for that kind of power with out making some serious heat. Jbp stage 2 cams are a joke and very over priced for what they are. A set of HO cams are far better. I don't see the m45 ever making 300whp with out help from another power adder.

That said, I don't think 250whp is impossible, but it's gonna take some serious coin to make that kind of power out of an m45 vs turbo or NAWS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, May 31, 2013 4:39 PM

Friday, May 31, 2013 4:41 PM
awesome man. we need more m45 enthusiasts lol seems like its really died off in recent years what with the m62 scares and all.

doing any larger than a 62mm tb would be damn near pointless. the opening on the PORTED tb flange is barely 61mm. at least mine is anyway...

i dont know that id go with j-body performance cams but you never know they might work well with the blower. ideally you'd want to grind a set of cams specifically for a blower application but honestly ho cams should do nicely.

best advice i can give you to just do one thing at a time and do a lot of reading on roots type superchargers and what makes them tick. i regret going so fast with my build because it makes things hard to nail down in terms of what works and what doesnt work. i am running the smallest pulley you can get on the snout (2.4") and the oversized crank pulley, the boost comes on strong and hard but it really didnt produce any more boost for me over the 2.5" snout pulley. i definitely felt the powerband move though. shes a rocket out of the hole, or rather as much as an m45 car can be anyway LOL

definitely go with meth/water injection. if you are overspinning it like i am you are going to want the detonation protection that the 49% methanol provides and the cooling that the 51% water provides. i suggest running a stupidly large nozzle as it works the best. im on a 525cc nozzle right now and it works ten times better than the 175cc nozzle i was using beforehand. it does knock the air fuel ratio down on the very rich side so make sure you get it tuned for it otherwise its going to fall on its face.

ryan - i believe an m45 setup is capable of 275whp... 10.5:1 compression (hi clyde ), with lightened rotating assembly and 2.3 pump swap, fully dressed head, boost cams, all the blower mods including venom cooler and lightweight rotors, meth/water injection, all the bolt ons, awesome tuning..and wait for it...one big contribution.... E85!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, May 31, 2013 4:46 PM

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Friday, May 31, 2013 5:40 PM
Wow I'm soo glad people reply as fast with such input I'm so used to the ls1tech guys not replying on forms or acting like I'm dumb I just like throwing ideas around but I guess I can compair jbodys cams to the h.o. cams from an LG0 or w41 motor see if I think the 700+ dollars is worth it if the lift and duration ain't to much different ill just go with whats proven to work or a custom grind cam from somebody but meth is a must and I like that the gmpp kit is all there unlike going the m62 route and chasing parts down to much of a pain imo but ons try to achive power with stock short block and well if im disapointed I guess ill build a lighted h beam rodded bottom end with a 2.3 oil pump swap so I can rev it out good 10.5:1 or 11.5:1 compression I came from the lsx world I know a little bit about the z24s lol

I can't describe how thankful I am for you guys giving good input and being nice!

I Love My J ♡
Friday, May 31, 2013 5:50 PM
If your going for a record, why mess with e85 and just put down mad numbers on methanol lol. Methanol is a much better fuel than e85 but significantly more expensive

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:58 PM
cody - ho cams could be as cheap as free depending on how you find them. springs are cheap, lifters as long as you get them with the cams would be cheap, worst thing you need to decide is if you care about power steering or not. if you dont, ho cams could be VERY cheap for anybody.

ryan, because methanol is dangerous to run and you said it, extremely expensive. if you can do it with pump gas why not? lol

Friday, May 31, 2013 8:02 PM
Well I wanna drive it every day on 93+ lol I have no idea what e85 costs never looked into it I'd just be extremely happy to run 12.9s and if I gotta put the juice in it I will ain't got no problem running a fat wet shot lol

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:56 AM
I also think 250whp is possible, but without doing all the things Brad says.

A good build with a little higher compression. Maybe 11:1. Pump gas 93. No E85 needed. A solid build, with great tuning and a good meth setup.

A larger nozzle works great as I have been saying for a few years, your welcome Brad.

I made 219whp on a stock bottom end a couple years ago. I'm still on a 2.5 pulley. That was on a 57mm TB, now on a 60mm TB, and ported blower.

FU Tuning

Saturday, June 01, 2013 8:33 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:A larger nozzle works great as I have been saying for a few years, your welcome Brad.

Saturday, June 01, 2013 10:59 AM
I'm deffanitly not going the route of methanol ill stick to 93-110 and get to enjoy my car driving to work every day lol and if Ho cams are that cheap ill more than likely go that route who needs power steering haha but I'm stuck on the m45 set up and going with a fully ported and polished head and blower and i like the sound of the 2.4 in pully bringing boost on soo fast and low in the rpm range I'm not a big turbo guy i love the wine but the way I see it is the LG0 high out puts were like what 190hp? Or the w41 witch ever one so a set of eather cams plus big time head and blower work with a good tune and supporting mods on high octane gas with meth/water injection I mean to me that sounds like a 250+ HP set up pirty easy I mean the ported blower with small pully should be worth 50 HP right plus the head work and cams etc good tune, to me it sounds kinda like the m45 is under rated because of its size but I think if its ported and polished really well with a great head to match I think it could really shine make it flow good and give it a head that'll let it breath and spin it fast as Hell I think it would be a great set up in my mind if you feed it good enough meth to keep her cooled Down? That and I know this might sound kinda stupid but even tho we can't intercool them would it Hert to have a air intake set up with a in line intercooler to attempt to cool the incoming air to the blower before it gets in the blower and then gets hit with the meth to cool it even ferther or am I really over thinking this air cooling deal lol ?

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, June 01, 2013 11:37 AM
well, dont get over confident. thats a lot of my problem and i know it. 250whp from any m45 setup is not going to be easy in any way. but me and john are advocates of high compression for m45 all the way lol. get that compression up... the meth/water will take care of detonation if you get any. also, you are gonna need to find someone to tune it. john has been tuning his for years and its taken him a long time to get it just where he wants it from what i gather... mine only has the knock sensor desensitized a little and has been tweaked for larger injectors but other than that its just the gm reflash from the kit. i know it needs tuned.

Saturday, June 01, 2013 1:39 PM
Yeah I've herd plenty about the @!#$y Gm tune and yeah ima little over confident as well lol guys who drive Gm tend to be just cuz we drive the best but i think ima go buy a junk yard ld9 and go ape @!#$ if ima do it might as well go balls out right ?

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:48 PM
What kinda numbers are you putting down anyway? And what kinda track times are you pulling ? I saw on another post about going 13s n/a you were pretty confident on a simple set up running those kinda times I just wanna break into high 12s my 99 z28 was a high 12 car and ill be happy with a z24 running times like that I just don't wanna see some sissy Honda tail lights or even worse.... Mustang lol

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, June 01, 2013 6:05 PM
cody nobbs wrote:What kinda numbers are you putting down anyway? And what kinda track times are you pulling ? I saw on another post about going 13s n/a you were pretty confident on a simple set up running those kinda times I just wanna break into high 12s my 99 z28 was a high 12 car and ill be happy with a z24 running times like that I just don't wanna see some sissy Honda tail lights or even worse.... Mustang lol

I'm not saying you wont get to the 12's, because I think it is possible on a M45 with a good build. I am saying it will be hard and no one has done it without nitrous to assist.

On just a M45 on a stock internal motor 13.7 is the best time.

My current best time is a 14.1

FU Tuning

Saturday, June 01, 2013 9:38 PM
Well I have nothing aginst n2o but ill end up building a whole motor that's how I am I blow everything outta proportion lol ill end up going h beams and lightened crank with 11:1 more than likely over 10:1 and etc ill go broke doing it but hey that's what we all live for is enjoying the cars when there done and a built z24 is soo different let alone unexpected as Hell what mustang expects to get smoked by a z24? Priceless

I Love My J ♡
Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:36 PM
ive always preached that n/a was best because i truly feel it is more impressive to run those times without the need of boost. then i got a supercharger and became addicted to the whine..and really, a roots blower is an extension of n/a, instant hit and it makes for a hell of a ride, plus you dont "need" a built motor, basically lol

now, when ive finally built my high compression motor with all the goods, on e85, and IF the m45 doesnt produce what i want then ill pass final judgement on whether or not i feel n/a truly is still best.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 6:13 PM
I know what you mean brad the whine is bad ass sounding I used to feel the boost and nitrous was for pussys who can't build engines but now with my growth of wisdom in my 22 years of life I feel that first off the whine is nasty and second it makes it possible for me to go fast and win races witch I love lol and BTW the srt4 wheels look bad ass on your car! And so does the front end conversion I'm guessing all that's needed for that is a bumper cover? I know the fogs and stuff are different but that's just simple wiring and where is a good place to get h beams and other parts from header etc? J body performance is expensive and I'm always down to support sponsors of the site!

I Love My J ♡
Sunday, June 02, 2013 8:51 PM
i had to remove the 95-99 corner brackets off of a set of 95-99 fenders and bolt on the bumper with a 95-99 bumper support/foam crush guard. the fog lights bolted right up to it like stock. i had a parts car so all of it was real easily sourced LOL. and thanks a lot. i love the 95-99 front end in silver, it really looks neat and is definitely unique. and the srt4 wheels on silver, i have always loved. lol

honestly i would look around... gotta be someone selling some eagle's somewhere around here. header, go with a pacesetter or if you want the best get a ron siebenick long tube. you'll have to find him on quad 4 forums.com though... as far as j-body performance is that place even in business still?

Monday, June 03, 2013 3:49 AM
Oh yeah they have a fully operational web site and they want over 700 for a set of pistons! I havnt looked anywhere else yet but that seems crazy for 4 pistons!!! And yeah the 95-99 front ends are the best looking I mean 00+ ain't bad but the 95-99 is way better looking!!!! And what's that ron header run for I was planing on a pacesetter header but if he's got the best its worth the money

I Love My J ♡
Monday, June 03, 2013 6:08 AM
Most of this is/will be the same as whats posted above.

Since I do not see what car you have. A 00-02 LD9 Z24 or 00-02 LD9 GT is the easiest. Since the GM m45 reflash is native to the PCM, and reads / fuels for boost.

Whom ever your turner is...have him log into the HPTuners repository and get the reflash I uploaded there. It is a stock or really close to stock reflash. If he is using EFI live...this is no help at all.

Engine Build side...
Fueling:
I would guess your gonna need 42lb or larger injectors.
A racetronix w or f body fuel pump and harness. Hell even the harness kit will help boost the performance of the stock pump.
A stock FPR is fine, but an adjustable one would / could aid in tuning.
Change the injector constant for what ever injectors you find. This will not be 100% correct. Fine tuning will be needed.

Motor:
10:1 to 12:1 would be ideal compression ratio.
I would get a 96-98 head since the combustion chamber is less cc.
Port and polish the head, and get 1mm oversized valves with a 3 angle valve job....or run 086 "HO" quad 4 valves. Since they are pretty close in size. The Stainless 1mm oversized ones are sodium filled, and would help a bunch in heat dissipation. 5 angle or more is not needed at all.
I would go with either W41 or HO cams. You could also have these modified for better boost friendliness. Just do not take a lot of the base circle of the cams. .010" seems fine, unless you want to run lash caps.
35mm quad 4 HO lifters and springs...in stock qaud 4 cam towers or modified twin cam towers. I would run the HO cam tower since it is 100% bolt on, and the cams and everything would fit fine.
2.3l quad 4 oil pump swap is a must if your building the motor.
I would run a Ron S. Header, or an old "Stans" header....or custom. Ron's would be my first choice though.
Pistons...i would get others and not wiesco's, but that is preference.
Eagle rods would be fine.
ARP head studs and main studs would be nice....look up what others did on torquing the head bolts....
I would try and keep somewhere close to a stock to slightly under stock height head gasket.

Charger:
Ported and polished
Lighter rotors.
A few people are trying to have the inside ceramic coated. No proof to see if it helps or not yet.
2.4 or 2.5" charger pulley
My 7" OD crank pulley. <---the largest that will literally fit on the motor. Anything larger will have interference issues.
Meth...a lot of meth....well planned and thought out setup....lots of meth...meth meth meth injection....a TB spacer works well to install the meth.

Trans:
I think a team green LSD, Phantom Grip LSD, or a true LSD a quaffie would help.
Stock axles are fine.
Trans tune will help greatly with an auto car, and at least a 3000 RPM stall.
A nice heavy clutch and stock or lightweight flywheel.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 03, 2013 7:03 AM
Wow thanks for all the advice!!! Ill be sure to get that pully off you when the time comes and where do you pick up lighter rotors? Do I need to call eatan for those parts? And how much smaller cc is the older head over the 00-02? I havnt bought anything yet I like to plan my builds out really well before I start cuz once I start ordering parts I get all excited and lose track of my thought process lol

I Love My J ♡

Monday, June 03, 2013 7:56 AM
the "lighter" rotors are just stock rotors that have been drilled out. i talked to steigemeier (company that does them) and they think about 2 pounds off per rotor.

also, look into their "venom cooler". i really wanna get this done to mine. they put some kind of heat exchanger inside the snout area that allows the use of an external heat exchanger to cool the snout off. they boast over a 50* change in snout temps. no idea how this will affect IATs if at all but still, cooling the blower off in any way is benefiscial.

stiegemeier

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:10 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:the "lighter" rotors are just stock rotors that have been drilled out. i talked to steigemeier (company that does them) and they think about 2 pounds off per rotor.

Just gun drilled the entire length?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 03, 2013 9:07 AM
Have any idea what they charge for that ? 2 lbs is a lot!!! Espally per rotor

I Love My J ♡
Monday, June 03, 2013 9:34 AM
Well for an m62 they charge $550 for the light weight etc and I didn't see a price on the venom cooler and yeah they just gun drill all 3 paddles on each rotor I think that's a good upgrade for sure

I Love My J ♡
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search