Stock LNF oil pan bolt on to L61? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stock LNF oil pan bolt on to L61?
Friday, July 05, 2013 7:16 AM
Hey guys was wondering if a LNF oil pan will fit my 03 L61, im collecting parts for an L61 swap. Swapping the pan would be much easier than tapping and all the hassle of not getting it in the right spot. I know zzp sells one, if the lnf pan is not an option i will prob do the zzp pan. Thanks!

Re: Stock LNF oil pan bolt on to L61?
Friday, July 05, 2013 7:29 AM
No, the lnf pan won't work...your lower mount won't bolt up to it. Besides, I believe the turbo oil return (if that's what you are trying to achieve) in the lnf is tapped right above the pan in the girdle, not the pan itself. Look at the girdle, you'll see a round flat spot right where they tap it.

Friday, July 05, 2013 7:09 PM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:No, the lnf pan won't work...your lower mount won't bolt up to it. Besides, I believe the turbo oil return (if that's what you are trying to achieve) in the lnf is tapped right above the pan in the girdle, not the pan itself. Look at the girdle, you'll see a round flat spot right where they tap it.

Ok thanks man ill take a look, prob just gonna go with the zzp oil pan they come made for lnf or l61/le5. $89 plus shipping aint bad, just heard about alot of problems with leaking and such out of a tapped oil pan, want to avoid all issues and build as solid a car as possible.. Thanks again for the info!!!
Friday, July 05, 2013 7:21 PM
It wont work man...you can only use the L61 pan.

The LNF im pretty sure is like the Saab setup and is a hole drilled in the girdle....no leaking at all
Friday, July 05, 2013 8:46 PM
Philly D wrote:It wont work man...you can only use the L61 pan.

The LNF im pretty sure is like the Saab setup and is a hole drilled in the girdle....no leaking at all

Zzp makes oil pans for l61s for turbo applications, i understand the lnf pan will not work. Thanks for the info heres the link
http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/654-Turbo-Oil-Pan-for-Ecotec.aspx
Friday, July 05, 2013 8:48 PM
Looking into which would be a better spot for the oil line, the girdle or pan. Thanks guys will do some more digging
Friday, July 05, 2013 9:03 PM
Just tap the girdle, with the thermostat housing off and exhaust and turbo off you can fit a cordless drill in there easily, start small then go bigger. Then slide the oil drain into the hole and tada.

Drop the pan before you start drilling though
Friday, July 05, 2013 9:13 PM
Snowman wrote:Just tap the girdle, with the thermostat housing off and exhaust and turbo off you can fit a cordless drill in there easily, start small then go bigger. Then slide the oil drain into the hole and tada.

Drop the pan before you start drilling though

Thanks snowman will do! And i will be pming you with questions as i go. Collecting parts atm!
Saturday, July 06, 2013 12:00 AM
As a side note.... only an L61 pan from a J body will work in a J body. The Grand am/Alero/Vue/Saturn/Cobalt, ect pans will not work as previously stated the lower dogbone mount won't bolt up to those pans.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, July 06, 2013 4:29 AM
Roofy wrote:As a side note.... only an L61 pan from a J body will work in a J body. The Grand am/Alero/Vue/Saturn/Cobalt, ect pans will not work as previously stated the lower dogbone mount won't bolt up to those pans.

Yes this. As in the zzp pan will not work

Saturday, July 06, 2013 5:53 AM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:
Roofy wrote:As a side note.... only an L61 pan from a J body will work in a J body. The Grand am/Alero/Vue/Saturn/Cobalt, ect pans will not work as previously stated the lower dogbone mount won't bolt up to those pans.

Yes this. As in the zzp pan will not work

Sweet thanks for all the info guys, i will tap the girdle!

Saturday, July 06, 2013 6:31 AM
Yes the girdle is the bnest place. GM did something right when making the Ecotec and gave us a place to tap. You will never have to worry about the draining not being high enough and causing issue draining if you do the girdle.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 08, 2013 7:34 AM
I have a j l61 pan with 10an return and also the other Eco pans will fit just have to tap the holes. There is already holes there just needs tapped

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:41 AM
MillerBilt Racing wrote:I have a j l61 pan with 10an return and also the other Eco pans will fit just have to tap the holes. There is already holes there just needs tapped

Thanks millerbilt, any chance that L61 pan is for sale ?
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:45 AM
MillerBilt Racing wrote:I have a j l61 pan with 10an return and also the other Eco pans will fit just have to tap the holes. There is already holes there just needs tapped

They'll physically fit the cavy engine but the pans won't work in our cars due to the lower dog bone mount.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:49 PM
Yes it will if you tap the two holes that are already there and I guess ill sell it I don't think I'm going to put a motor back into my car

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:47 AM
Here is a quote directly from JBO from 6 years ago explaining the difference. this is a cobalt vs J-body oil pan.

RyZ96 wrote:alright sorry i didn't see this thread again until Freq Z sent me a pm.. i don't know what year the motor is from but here is what i'm talking about
Just the oil pan

The motor mount bracket and oil pan. As you can see there is no place to bolt the bracket to the bottom of the pan like it is supposed to be on Jbodies..

i really haven't looked into why it is different but it is. I know on a 2007 2.4 ecotec in the ION that there is a mount right under the radiator that jbodies do not have so i suppose thats one reason why the other mounts are different

And the thread it came from.
Cobalt 2.2 Eco in a cav?

And here is another one of a cobalt vs j-body oil pan

And yet another one of an oil pan for a grand am/alero

Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:50 AM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search