throttle body selection - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
throttle body selection
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:22 PM
Hello Guys,

Looking to use a throttle body for an intake manifold I am fabbing up.... most use the LT1? a few questions..

1. what year LT1?
2. Do the Jbody sensor directly drop in?
3. does anyone make a patch harness as I think these need lengthening and not sure i wanna cut into the wiring
4. how is the MAP sensor being fabbed in with your set up?

Thanks

Re: throttle body selection
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:49 PM
You mean LS1, use sensors from the ls1 TB, on the ls1 TB.

Map sensor goes to the manifold, so a barb fitting with hose to the map sensor.

You would need to hunt down connectors for a plug and play extension, or just solder wire in to lengthen

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:44 PM
Right...

Was asking if someone has the map incorporated in the manifold. So the other part of the question was asking if the Jbody sensors will fit and function in that throttle body.

Slow.. Do you know what the bigger throttle body electronics will be like stock with hp tuners?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:54 PM
I have a stock LS1 TB on my cav. It runs fine and plays nicely.

The IAC uses the same plug but the TPS needs to be changed. I used to sell conversion harness but I am currently out of supplies.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:32 PM
Ok, so it works.. Thx tinkles

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:17 AM
Tinkles,

Where is your map sensor now? Also does the TPS being changed require a different connector than is on the Jobdy? What supplies would you need to make another harness? Or where can I find them to do it myself?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:00 PM
Im supercharged so i am running the TMAP sensor and it is in the intake manifold.

Yes, the TPS connector is different. You need to convert it to this:

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:09 PM
I'm gonna be running a vortec t body on mine same thing as ls1 slightly smaller.
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:10 PM
I'm running an ls1 with Tinks tb adapter. Right now I'm running the ld9 harness so the tps is plug and play, but for the eco harness you'll need the connector like Tink showed.

A simple vac line to the map will suffice. I have my map sensor fastened to a bracket attached to the bottom of my manifold, and a line from the manifold run to it (m62 setup)

I do have a slight surge in my idle, which I believe is from the small air pass hole in the ls1 tb's plate. I know others who have plugged the hole and the surging idle stopped

Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:25 AM
Tinkles,

You arent getting surging idle though right?

Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:32 AM
I havent noticed.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:53 AM
I have the Vortec TB with the LS1 butterfly in it, it too has that passthrough hole (Vortec one does not). I noticed a higher than normal idle but my tune was also off. If you go with the Vortec/vortec butterfly, youll want to shave off the air foil thats riveted/welded onto it, but it will not have the little passthrough hole. The vortec is also missing a vac line (but its cleaner looking as it doesnt have the coolant passage like the LS1). if you need pics let me know.

If i recall, the Vortec is 73mm, the LS1 is 75mm (or its 75mm/78mm, its in my build thread). But the inner diameter i believe was identical within .05mm or something. either way you wouldnt notice a difference between the two. But the Vortec's throttle cable wheel is positioned a bit more 'friendly' so the cable isnt making a hard 90' angle and putting a lot of stress on it. If you could flip/invert the LS1 to make the wheel face up, then it wouldnt be a big deal but the hood may not clear. you will also need to custom fab up a bracket for the throttle cable. I ended up hacking up my factory bracket and mounted it through one of the tb bolts.

I have Tinkles adapter as well and Im using the CBM tb adapter (M62 to LS1).

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, April 21, 2014 7:59 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread when my questions align with this one.

Does the year LS1 you get the throttle body from, matter? I found an inexpensive one on ebay from a 98 camaro, and if that will work, I can end my search and just buy it.

My other challenge is the LS1/Vortec flange. i found this flange for $25, it does say LS1 flange, but does it look weird, or is it just me? It has an EGR hole in it, but i have a feeling that's not needed.

If anyone has a better place to get a flange from, please feel free to throw up a link. Thanks guys.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:14 AM
That flange looks ok to me and as far as i know there were no major changes in the LS1 throttle bodies that would affect our application.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:20 AM
Thrice . wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread when my questions align with this one.

Does the year LS1 you get the throttle body from, matter? I found an inexpensive one on ebay from a 98 camaro, and if that will work, I can end my search and just buy it.

My other challenge is the LS1/Vortec flange. i found this flange for $25, it does say LS1 flange, but does it look weird, or is it just me? It has an EGR hole in it, but i have a feeling that's not needed.

If anyone has a better place to get a flange from, please feel free to throw up a link. Thanks guys.

that is probably IAC not EGR.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:04 AM
to add...

whst do you plan on doing with this flange? welding to a mani? spacing? what are your intentions? i dont think that random hole is EGR. but i dont think its IAC either.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:41 AM
I'm going to be welding it to my 2.3L H.O. manifold. I already milled off the 2.3L TB flange, in prep for welding on an LS1/Vortec flange.

LINK TO FLANGE. In the product description it says it's an EGR hole.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:48 PM
I don't think it's an EGR. I am pretty sure that is the location of the IAC passage regardless of what they call it.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:09 PM
Yes that is definitely the IAC hole. And for what its worth, the corvette LS1 throttle body blade doesn't have a hole in it. And its a direct swap.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search