HavBlue HavBoost - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HavBlue HavBoost
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:26 PM
Less talky.

More boosty

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:54 AM
As mentioned PJ, the problem isn't with the theory that air to water should have capacity to cool better than air to air, it's with the fact that you have an aluminum manifold mounted directly (or with a spacer, very very close) to an aluminum head at ~190*F. The set up you're describing will get you up and running, but once you data log, you'll see once she warms up (meaning engine coolant temp), your IATs will be significantly above ambient even if you aren't boosting.

I also have problems with the jbody system only having one IAT sensor (which the P12 swap would solve ). That TMAP on the aluminum intake manifold directly near the head is not completely accurate IMHO - when you're in boost, the air moves so fast, but the reading on the TMAP is plagued by the heat of the manifold and head. I have the same issue now with aluminum charge pipes and a TMAP on my cruze - it's right by the head, and once it's warm, it's warm. It's not an accurate reading of the temp of the air that the motor eats. Having an ambient IAT at least allows (theoretically) for more consistent fueling across seasons. Jbody S/C guys using an IAT in the manifold often have to chase target AFRs with the ambient temps drop or rise.

All that said, I'm excited to see how it performs - it's a very very cost effective set up with bonus points for using so many OEM parts

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:48 PM
so I have an LSJ intake manifold with stock endplate

I just scored a ZZP stage 3 h/e on css

I also scored a ZZP s/c delete plate on css last week.

all I need to sweat now are gaskets, I want to get the ZZP phenolic spacer kit for the LSJ manifold, LNF 3.3bar MAP sensors, and an I/C pump and lines.

once I get everything I need for the air-water setup, I'll feel more motivated to finish the remained of the car.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:17 AM
I did see a phenolic spacer on CSS classifieds the other day.
But I have read from a couple reputable people such as Powell that on the supercharged setup it doesn't really do much. It may do more with the turbo since your iat's aren't as high though.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:16 AM
well, after much parts buying and scheming and mocking up and measuring, turbo just simply is not going to work out for me.

I am selling my turbo stuff, and piecing together an M62 kit and tuning on the stock P11 PCM.

more to come.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:27 AM
No more p12 work?
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:11 AM
Philly D wrote:No more p12 work?

no. the P12 is also for sale. the idea I had with the zzp delete plate on the LSJ intake manifold actually put the throttle body HIGHER than the LE5 plastic intake manifold did... just nothing but fitment issues all because of the exhaust manifold I chose.

after a lot of careful consideration, I'm parting out all of my turbo stuff, parting out spare parts from skwirl, junking skwirl, and moving on to a RWD platform.

HavBlue will be kept as a super DD, but supercharged instead of turbo. The only way I was going to get stuff to fit would be to permanently sacrifice my A/C system, and that is NOT the goal of this car.

the s/c setup will let me tune with the P11 because of the mechanical connection to the engine RPM, and save me a lot of grief with wiring, extra sensors, etc etc.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:15 PM
Understandable.

The supercharger setup can still make for a very fun dd and is way less work to get working right.

Although be prepared for your exhaust to sound like poo lol
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:15 PM
Philly D wrote:Understandable.

The supercharger setup can still make for a very fun dd and is way less work to get working right.

Although be prepared for your exhaust to sound like poo lol

x2 on all of this.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:35 PM
I'm hoping with my high flow cat, resonator and muffler it won't sound as bad... it seems like all the striaght-pipe cobalts sound like complete turds....

i'm keeping my fingers crossed lol

also, trying to get my hands on a harrop tvs 1320, but it might not be in the budget right now..

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:38 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:also, trying to get my hands on a harrop tvs 1320, but it might not be in the budget right now..

I was hoping you'd say that!

I have a pretty big resonator with a high flow cat on my m62 setup and the tone isn't HORRIBLE.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:03 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:also, trying to get my hands on a harrop tvs 1320, but it might not be in the budget right now..

I was hoping you'd say that!

I have a pretty big resonator with a high flow cat on my m62 setup and the tone isn't HORRIBLE.

there's one on css right now for $1800.

in a perfect world, and all my old turbo stuff sold, I could buy it and still have money left over, but I still need to sell this crap.

I figure a stock M62 with a 2.8 pulley might hold me over for a while.
dual pass endplate, and a stage 3 heat exchanger.

I received the rest of my setup today. All that's left is to bolt it on.

the flex joint in my downpipe is broken, so I'm going to replace that and put the exhaust back on the car. 4-1 header with 3" all the way back.

I'm kind of looking forward to hearing a screaming M62... I do admit, s/c sounds pretty cool

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:14 PM
If you look at the comments its already sold. Ask me why I know

Anyway I love being different with that sc sound. Everyone's turbo now.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:03 PM
Love the sound of the supercharger.

My exhaust doesnt sound bad but it is very loud above 3000rpm. I have 2.5" piping, hi flow cat, 28" magnaflow 4" round muffler and then a magnaflow 5x8x14 muffler.

I do love the bark it has and the tone but at times in the city it can be loud. Cruising on the highway there is zero drone.

Anyways...

Sucks I was looking forward to seeing if the p12 would end up working out. But congrats on the new purchase.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:17 PM
Junking the swirl? Damn.. Was looking forward to that.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:27 PM
there's nothing to save.

the chassis is trashed pretty bad. I learned a lot working and building that car, but destroyed it in the process.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:36 PM
Sad to see this project ending, but understandable. I wish I had the time to pick up your P12 project.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:12 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:If you look at the comments its already sold. Ask me why I know

Anyway I love being different with that sc sound. Everyone's turbo now.

Our tuner loves tuning Harrop powered J-bodies...

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:16 PM
Sad to see a legend move on but completely understand. I don't think my cavy will ever get as far as I initially thought it would. Any word on the RWD platform your going to?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:13 AM
lol....the set up you're going for is exactly what Ive got pretty much...

2.8 smoothflow, ported M62, LS1 tb, ZZP S3 h/e, dual pass, option b, 42.5lb/hr (stage2) injectors, racetronix pump/harness, and that'll all be slapped onto the factory LSJ block/head with ZZP 78# springs (already installed).
Im hoping with a good tune and maybe finally getting the meth installed, Ill be right around 300 to the wheels...but without cams Im guessing not

And Im running the LSJ Pacesetter header (larger primaries), hiflow spun cat, 27 or 28" resonator, mandrel bent piping into a Borla Pro XS muffler with dual tips. I love the throaty sounds and drone of my car and except when letting off after a WOT, there is zero raspyness
You basically can only hear my blower screaming, its louder than most turbos I run lol

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search