HavBlue HavBoost - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HavBlue HavBoost
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 4:15 AM
LSJs without boost are DOGS.

time to fix this problem...

chip foose approves of my special turbine housing

old 4:1 vs garrett cobalt turbo manifold. cast iron with t25 flange

close up

fitment

turbo mounted

after mocking up stuff I realized the compressor outlet HAS to point straight up. so I'm weighing options as to how to reconfigure my hot side charge pipe to fit now

Re: HavBlue HavBoost
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 4:32 AM
Cowl hood for more room? So far I have seen 2 people do it and both look really nice actually.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 4:50 AM
annnnnnd a p12 to run it?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:31 AM
Mario Andretti approves of your cold side.

Looking good PJ. It definitely looks like a tight fit. Im sure youll come up with something clever though.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:43 AM
PJ you ever have problems with water getting to the coils?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:15 AM
Any chance you'd be selling the old LSJ PaceSetter?
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:04 PM
no cowl hood

i'm not sure if i'm gonna be running the P12 right away or not yet

no issues with water on the coils ever

idk what i'm doing with the obx (it's not pacesetter) but a friend already has dibs

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:12 AM
I'm going air to water IC now

more $$$$$$$$

le sigh

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:13 AM
I saw your post on CSS.

If you have acess to a welder and can do aluminum you can open the manifold up. Apparently the magic number to open the laminova cores up to is 19mm. And convert it to single pass. Less hoses and better cooling.
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:34 AM
I support air to water, but not with the LSJ manifold. I strongly believe that an air to air or one of the aftermarket air to water kits would work alot better.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:42 AM
Eh, doesn't look as crowded as my setup. Looks pretty good PJ!!!! Here's how I ran my hot side piping, since the compressor outlet is very similar to yours it might give you some ideas.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:52 PM
I was thinking that... but if I needed to move the coolant bottle, I want to remove it.

to remove it, I'd go with a closed rad with an overflow tank instead

then my ac condensor doesn't have anyplace to hold on to (it connects to the welded tabs on the rad)

just a snowball effect.

I'm thinking air to water is going to be a much better option for me and overall more efficient.
I know tinkles is not a fan of me using the LSJ manifold, but in terms of packaging I really can't beat it....

I can always go back to air/air but at this point.... the LSJ manifold solves all my issues with packaging in one swing

why single pass vs dual?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:15 PM
Stock is quad pass and then modding the endplate with the extra bung is a dual pass. What they do is bring the coolant into the bottom on the pass side and out the drivers side at the top. That way the coolant is moving through the laminovas faster. The idea is the coolant only goes through the laminova once versus going through them multiple times.

On a supercharger setup it yields the best results out of all the other methods. Just not as popular since it is pricey if you cant do it yourself and the benefits over dual pass is minimal. But recovery times are almost instant and cruising temps are slightly above ambient.
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:05 PM
when i picked up my LSJ manifold i looked at it and thought why the hell arent people using this as an air to water setup for a turbo?! but apparently they are lol i have no idea why tinkles is against it. if its good enough to support over 400whp with a harrop and over 500whp with a twin charged setup why the hell wouldnt it be good for only a turbo as well?

pj you know me as an advid "lets get shit cooler" shouter... lol i say do the air to water setup with the LSJ manifold, dual passed, AND run meth/water injection.

philly... man you are on a role tonight, sir. FINALLY someone explains why people do the dual pass. i always "knew" it was supposed to help and even looking at my manifold it still didnt really sink in as to why but now with your explanation.. there it is. lol :0

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. Now with 5 speed! It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:11 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote: why the hell wouldnt it be good for only a turbo as well?

Because it works great for the first couple passes and then it's hopelessly heat soaked and your done until it cools off again. It's so frustrating man trust me. This is why I still have dreams of a good ice box.

I know a guy with a cobalt who cut his lsj manifold up and welded on some couplers to make a ghetto air/air setup. It dynoed almost exactly the same numbers and didn't have the horrible boost lag everyone was expecting. He was running a tvs.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:31 PM
I paid for the LSJ manifold.

I'm gonna start with a stock endplate, and a ZZP stage 3 heat exchanger.
stock bosch pump, and a small reservoir.

I'm prolly gonna throw in the ZZP phenolic spacer as well.

if I need more cooling, I'll worry about it then.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:46 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote: why the hell wouldnt it be good for only a turbo as well?

Because it works great for the first couple passes and then it's hopelessly heat soaked and your done until it cools off again. It's so frustrating man trust me. This is why I still have dreams of a good ice box.

I know a guy with a cobalt who cut his lsj manifold up and welded on some couplers to make a ghetto air/air setup. It dynoed almost exactly the same numbers and didn't have the horrible boost lag everyone was expecting. He was running a tvs.

lol i told you how to fix that.... hook up a cryo2 system to the laminova's instead.

but really, that blows. not the kind of thing i like to hear after investing in an LSJ manifold and trying to fathom some way to get those cores into an m45 case...

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. Now with 5 speed! It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:05 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:but apparently they are lol i have no idea why tinkles is against it. if its good enough to support over 400whp with a harrop

I am just not 100% happy with it's cooling ability while in boost. Even with the Harrop i still see ~30-40* increase in IATs during a pull.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:39 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:but apparently they are lol i have no idea why tinkles is against it. if its good enough to support over 400whp with a harrop

I am just not 100% happy with it's cooling ability while in boost. Even with the Harrop i still see ~30-40* increase in IATs during a pull.

jesus you guys are NOT telling me good things here lol

i know you are all against it but meth injection goes such a long way on a roots blower. that in conjunction with the LSJ manifold i dont see any reason why you couldnt be doing pulls WELL UNDER ambient.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:01 AM
Oh trust me i know water/meth will help out alot, but my reservation is about doing a quality setup that will not have a chance at damaging my $2,000 supercharger.

I pulled this from my thread about the Harrop.
Oldskool wrote:Both blowers reached about 150*F IAT after a 2-3-4 pull, but the Harrop seems to recover faster, even with the high ambient temps we had on Friday (~85-90*F), even with the small increase in pressure.

Since then I havent changed my cooling system. ZZP S3, dualpass endplate, flow threw tank, and ZZP stock replacement bosch pump.

I would like to see some logs to back up the claims that the single pass is the way to go. How are they making sure that the coolant flow is equal across all 4 cores? Are they running larger lines and a higher flowing pump?

Sorry for the thread jack PJ, but i guess it still is sorta on topic.

Friday, July 12, 2013 12:11 AM
I'll allow it.

riddle me this: what is the adiabatic efficiency of the harrop?

i'm curious

Friday, July 12, 2013 12:38 AM
I've never heard of that term PJ.

Ok, after a quick 5 minute lesson i understand the term and it's application on what we are discussing.

Here is the compressor map from Eaton for the 1320 TVS rotor system. Granted it probably doesnt take into account any small changes(case wise) that Harrop Engineering did while designing the HTV1320-LSJ case.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 12, 2013 12:57 AM

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:22 PM
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:40 PM
Philly D wrote:http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66/turbo-parts-300230/

wow sweet adapter plate for the lsj intake manifold!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:32 PM
I already picked one up from another CSS member.

I got the manifold the other day. I know have the s/c delete kit from ZZP.

next is an intercooler pump and a heat exchanger

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search