Difference in pump price - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Difference in pump price
Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:48 PM
What's the difference in what you get buying a stock pump as I see they cost 240-260 while the racetronix is 130ish? Bc I just want the w body pump to have my small town shop to install since I'll be get a supercharger within the year and my pumps dying. I would install it but working two jobs and a 3 month old I don't have a lot of free time.

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"

Re: Difference in pump price
Monday, July 15, 2013 4:48 AM
Racetronix is aftermarket, and flows more.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:33 AM
I think the aftermarket ones are so much more because they come preassembled ready to drop in aka they come with the pump, cup and sender all installed. The racetronix you need to take apart the cup and install the pump and hoses

Monday, July 15, 2013 3:00 PM
So do I even need to worry about the other parts that go along with the pump wearing out or is the pump the part that usual wears out?

Monday, July 15, 2013 3:44 PM
redrider02 wrote:So do I even need to worry about the other parts that go along with the pump wearing out or is the pump the part that usual wears out?

Pump and sock/filter. Racetronix provides everything needed.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:22 AM
I'm having a friend help me install the W-body pump , do we just need to close the Venturi line and grind the fine inside the plastic case?

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:44 PM
I'll just leave this here..

that's for the f body pump but the w body is the same except you don't need to cut the housing and you DO need a foam isolator to get the pump snug in there.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, September 05, 2013 11:48 AM
redrider02 wrote:What's the difference in what you get buying a stock pump as I see they cost 240-260 while the racetronix is 130ish? Bc I just want the w body pump to have my small town shop to install since I'll be get a supercharger within the year and my pumps dying. I would install it but working two jobs and a 3 month old I don't have a lot of free time.

Stock pump is the pump & fuel cup assembly & sending unit all-in-one. So you're buying more than you need here at that $250 price. If just the pump needs replaced, you can actually buy just the same GM pump and drop it in the existing fuel cup but you want to get new micro filter or fuel sock - I think I bought one for my S-10 truck for about $40 or less. For S/C upgrade you likely need a higher flowing pump for the same fuel pressure particularly if you're running more than 5psi boost and are running larger than stock injectors.

The stock pump is a vane-pump - the vane is a plastic and works great until you decide to run a higher fuel pressure with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator - it won't keep up under pressure -may cavitate and destroy itself or your engine may lean out.

The Racetronix pump is a gear-rotor or gerotor pump with steel or steel alloy gears - capable of much higher sustained pressures in the same pump space. The pump everyone is typically referring to is a Walbro 255Lph (67gpm) flow rate pump in the Racetronix set-up. The stock pump....I don't really know but it's probably rated about 1/2 that flow rate around 115 Lph(30gpm).
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search