ld9 build - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ld9 build
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:53 PM
Well thanks to spinning a rod bearing monday on the way to work FML, my build has been put on a start now basis. This engine is gonna run N/A for a little while as what little funds i have are going tword getting the car back up and running. I could go stock rebuild but thats waisted money in my eyes that could go two rd the build of my engine. Heres the plans so far.

Stock ld9 block bored .100 over

Stock sized mains unless damage calls for more than a polish

Wisco custom built pistons aiming for a scr of 11:1

Eagle h beam rods

Massively lightend crank cross drilled and ballaced and knife edged

Clevette 77 bearings

2.3 oil pump swap

2.2 icm swap with msd wires and coils

EBay header

Custom 3in exhaust with dynomax ultra flo welded built by me

MD overdrive and light weight alt pullies

TTR poly motor and trans mounts

Polish crank and inside of block to keep oil from clinging for faster return to pan

Spec clutch and light weight flywheel

Team green lsd

Short throw shifter EBay

Ported head with 2mm over sized ss vavles

Eather H.O. cams or custom grinds more than likely ho

H.O. intake manifold with ls1 ported tb

Injectors ??? No idea yet at this time maybe the 310cc that come with gmpp m45 kit but ima upgrade to a walbro 255 pump and adjustable fpr

Factory replacement lifters

A/c delete along with other slight weight reduction like spare tire and jack removal and truck interior (what little there is)

Satern rear disk swap with slotted and drilled rotors

And that should pirty much wrap up getting her back on the road then soon after will fallow the body work and suspension work to get the project closer to done. Next week i hope to get the engine out and torn down at work and start getting pictures up of this slow to be process. If anybody has any ideas or recommendations feel free thats why we are all here to help one another out thanks for reading guys!!

I Love My J ♡

Re: ld9 build
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:10 PM
I didn't see ARP head studs (if they still make/sell them)
and maybe a thicker head gasket?
Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:31 AM
True true theres always things that get forgotten on a list and thats deffanitly it arp head studs and msin studs and rod bolts are a must along with a thicker head gasket. What is a good head gasket for a boosted application anyway? Really havent done any research on that yet kinda forgot about it just been so over loaded by it all needing to happen now thst some of the details havnt been on my mind yet like of course new timing chain water pump etc etc

I Love My J ♡
Friday, November 29, 2013 8:46 PM
Seen overdriven crank pulley so are you going supercharger?

FU Tuning

Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:33 AM
Thats the plan i found a good deal on a magnuson mp90 but now that money has to go tword the engine so once the car is back on the road ima start the hunt for a blower to remount where the ac pump goes. Might just save up for a tvs. Ima spend all this money on my enginevso im deffanitly not gonna skimp on the blower. Ive done alot of part pricing the last cupple days and i have to say this isnt gonna hert as bad as i thought

I Love My J ♡
Monday, December 02, 2013 6:05 PM
Why get custom Wiseco's and then use a thicker head gasket?

The purpose of a thicker head gasket is to increase the size of the combustion chamber which lowers SCR. Its a hack way to do it IMO. Shoot to lower the SCR with pistons only especially if youre going to be getting custom ones. 11:1 is way too high for boost. Youre going to detonate the engine into oblivion unless your cams have some serious duration or overlap. But then youre just bleeding boost off and not making any power. Do some reading on Dynamic Compression Ratio to understand how your cams actually affect what SCR you can run on pump gas.

You really need to decide on cams before you do anything.

Cometic makes good head gaskets. They'll make custom gaskets in 0.010" increments up to like 0.160", I think, if you'd like to tailor your gasket choice to your engine and pistons.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 5:20 AM
Yeah i deffanitly dont wanna run a thicker gasket but cometic was what i was thinking ive seen them mentioned meny times in boost talk. Idk what made me say yes to thicker. And i might just step down to 10:1 and stock bore depends on how much the shop wants to punch out my cylenders. Im not a boost pro by any means but i figured with high compression and a blower it would all be i the tune and like i said shes gonna run n/a for a minite or two cuz im blowing my wad on this engine :/

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 3:05 PM
Started tear down today will have pics up tomorrow night!!!!!

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 3:12 PM
Thanks for chiming in btw brain! Yeah ima hunt down H.O. cams so if anybody has a set pm me plz. I just cant justify $804 for cams hell to the no! Not when some of the fastest jbodys are running ho cams. Im not gonna gut the crank eather just knife edge cross drill and a ballance. Dont wanna lose the driveabilty the spec aluminum fly wheel will be enough weight off rotational mass.

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 4:03 PM
Nothing wrong with high compression and boost. Just needs good tuning.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 4:21 PM
11.1 is NOT too high for boost. run real fuels. *caugh* meth *caugh*

RIP silver car. You will be missed.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 5:10 PM
See thats what i thought and oh when the boost comes there will be meth and a huge intercooler =D didnt get pics today forgot ill have some up tomorrow or this weekend hope to have the engine pulled this weekend if i can use the shop.

I Love My J ♡
Friday, December 06, 2013 4:18 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:11.1 is NOT too high for boost. run real fuels. *caugh* meth *caugh*

Here is a link to an eleven page thread that mimics the argument that we could have about whether meth used properly or improperly is a band aid vs other means of making power.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and I prefer my way. That doesn't necessarily mean that one of us skins the cat better. Just different.

IMO if you want the car to be reliable, lower the compression and up the CFM of the blower (though the MP90 is a bit large) , especially if you're spending the time to build the engine.

But in the end. It's your cat. Skin it how you want.

Saturday, December 07, 2013 6:42 AM
Yeah true we all do skin cats differently to me detination is all in the heat and with a massive intercooler and something like a magnuson mp90 or tvs1320 that is very efficent and wont make a buch of heat at 10-12 psi i feel and belive and i could be wrong lol that i could run a high compression engine and a significant boost level to build what im hoping to be big power and then use meth injection with a water mix to help cool even more and add more power at WOT. I deffanitly dont want my engine to be tuned to need meth or it will explode but i want the option of it to add even more cooling and power to my build. I just hope with a big intercooler i can run low iat all day at. WOT. we will see how she turns out i was hoping to get shop time this weekend but boss man said not this weekend so hopefuly this week on my lunch hour every day ill get the engine out. I already got half the wiring harness unhooked and my intank manifold off in 20min on one lunch last week so hope for some more positive productivity this week!!!

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:41 PM
Will have pictures up monday guys sorry for the delay christmas is crazy! Engine is out and bottom end tore down i can tell all mains were starved of oil and rod #3 spun oil pan side bearing half on top of piston side bearing half and tore the rod up. Said screw it and orderd new crank with camferd oiling holes and some knife edging done hope to have the money soon to order the eagle rods because car has to be back on street by jan 13 going to get my 2.3 oil pump parts soon too so i can get that done as well

I Love My J ♡
Monday, December 23, 2013 3:18 PM
Here are a cupple pics not the best was just getting ready to take them at the end of the day and one of the guys shut the lights off lol but pics are of my #3 main cap and you can see my jurnals and the othe is rod 3 cap and my two bearing halfs that became one

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:20 PM
Update: got the 2.3 swap done. waiting on more funds to buy a gear for my crank. All holes are drilled exc. Tore block down today rest of way but didnt get pics ill take some tomorrow. Just gotta hone cylenders and throw it in the hot tank getting there slowly but surly wasnt able to put h beams in or pistonbut i guess thats how it goes :/

I Love My J ♡
Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:28 AM
awesome job, cody! crank gears are getting scarce. best find one while you can!

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Thursday, January 09, 2014 3:19 PM
Hot tanked pistons, rods, lifters, oil pan, oil pump and pick up, main caps, cam housings today looking good. My bores look sooo good no marks or lip, and baby butt smooth :-) gotta hone and finish cleaning gasket off head and itll be ready for the tank too :-)

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:03 PM
Update: engine is all togeather now and ready to drop in just gotta get it done im soooo ready to drive it i miss my car!!!!!

I Love My J ♡
Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:23 PM
Got the engine in and drove her home tonight and Let me tell ya it was eventful lol first as i was moving the engine stand it fell over dropping my engine on the concret floor i was soo pissed. Thank god tho it didnt mess nothing important up. Then of course i forgot to tighten my groundOn the block.so it was cranking like @!#$. Then got that fix and had a huge missfire..... well i went and got the snap on varas and i had cylender two miss fire and cylender two injector circuit issue. So low and behold one of my injector wires twore out so i fixed that and bam!!!! Runs like a beast the 2.3 oil pump swap made a good difference plus a strong new engine didnt get alot of pics but heres two for you all.

I Love My J ♡

Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:35 AM
Car runs amazing! Cant believe the difference in power and engine harmonics just from the 2.3 oi pump swap. Just wish i had the time and money to do the build posted in the begining of this thread but hey it will come im going to be picking up a set of cams, header, and doing my exhaust soon. Then it will dyno tune time!

I Love My J ♡
Friday, February 14, 2014 3:31 PM
Uppdate: happy valentines day from my girlfriend to me!!!!

I Love My J ♡
Friday, February 14, 2014 5:39 PM
sounds like a keeper.....mine wont buy me gun stuff, car stuff, tig welding supplies, but she did get me indoor karting passes once....haha keep the updates coming.

Friday, February 14, 2014 6:18 PM
The rest of the exhaust will be next i already have a dynomax ultra flo welded stainless ima use it and all 3in stainless pipe working on a timing belt set up as well at the moment. Got alot plannedhats for sure!

Edit: my girlfriend is bad ass dude lol even goes to the track with us and wants me to build her a 70 chevelle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, February 14, 2014 7:17 PM

I Love My J ♡
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search