M62 PCV - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
M62 PCV
Monday, October 14, 2013 11:27 PM
Alright guys,

How exactly am I supposed to set this up? For over a year I just ran a breather filter and had no problems which I always figured was wrong since the instructions say to hook it back to the intake tube.

I finally got around to setting up a line to the T/B adapter and now I'm having a bunch of oil leaks. I've read the "boosted PCV" thread and it says there that this doesn't apply to M62 Eco's, but I've also read threads saying you should hook it to a catch can...etc..

I do have the gasket cut like the instructions say and I did have some minor oil leakage out of the breather filter when I ran that (assuming that is pretty normal for a boosted car).

Thanks,

Re: M62 PCV
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:46 AM
You must go pre tb into the intake tube. Also you need a baffled catch can.

Your one way check valve in your intake manifold may be stuck open so your boosting your bottom end
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:23 AM
Philly D wrote:You must go pre tb into the intake tube. Also you need a baffled catch can.

Your one way check valve in your intake manifold may be stuck open so your boosting your bottom end

This. And unfortunately the only way to check on that it to take the intake manifold off. There's a check valve between the #2 and #3 intake ports on the manifold that allows crankcase pressure out but doesn't allow pressure in when you go into boost. It's a known problem that this check valve eventually goes bad and allows boost to enter the motor. If that is happening it will cause oil leaks and eventually seals will blow out. Most people just don't cut the gasket and block this hole off completely. I haven't done it personally as my check valve seems to be operating normally....for now.

If you don't want to buy a catch can right now it isn't 100% essential but it is strongly recommended. My advice, should you decide to buy one, would be to buy a good baffled one right away instead of using a cheap ebay piece. Mishimoto makes decent ones.

All that REALLY needs done is a hose from the valve cover to the intake tube before the tb like mentioned. If you're not doing that, it WILL have problems. You absolutely cannot vent pcv to atmosphere with these motors. If you find that your are having check valve problems, then you'll need to address that as well.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:58 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Philly D wrote:You must go pre tb into the intake tube. Also you need a baffled catch can.

This. And unfortunately the only way to check on that it to take the intake manifold off. There's a check valve between the #2 and #3 intake ports on the manifold that allows crankcase pressure out but doesn't allow pressure in when you go into boost. It's a known problem that this check valve eventually goes bad and allows boost to enter the motor. If that is happening it will cause oil leaks and eventually seals will blow out. Most people just don't cut the gasket and block this hole off completely. I haven't done it personally as my check valve seems to be operating normally....for now.

If you don't want to buy a catch can right now it isn't 100% essential but it is strongly recommended. My advice, should you decide to buy one, would be to buy a good baffled one right away instead of using a cheap ebay piece. Mishimoto makes decent ones.

All that REALLY needs done is a hose from the valve cover to the intake tube before the tb like mentioned. If you're not doing that, it WILL have problems. You absolutely cannot vent pcv to atmosphere with these motors. If you find that your are having check valve problems, then you'll need to address that as well.

When it comes to the baffled catch can id recommend the Saikou Michi catch can over the Mishimoto. The cost is less then half and from my research its one of the best out there.

The reason I recommend getting a catch can is for one to keep carbon deposits off your valves and pistons which can lead to hot spots in the cylinder. But a lesser known issue is oil vapor will effectively lower your octane rating of your fuel. Apparently its fairly significant.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:14 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:

This is 100% not true. I have been running a vented system for over a year, and sure I burnt a tiny amount of oil, but nothing regular checks cant keep ahead of. Less then 1 qt per oil change. Which GM says is normal anyways.

It is just my opinion of course, but here is what I will be running.

VC nipple AND oil filler hole (with adaptor of course) to vented catch can, vented catch can to POST TB vaccum port.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:37 PM
EvoFire wrote:
Y3llowCav wrote:

This is 100% not true. I have been running a vented system for over a year, and sure I burnt a tiny amount of oil, but nothing regular checks cant keep ahead of. Less then 1 qt per oil change. Which GM says is normal anyways.

It is just my opinion of course, but here is what I will be running.

VC nipple AND oil filler hole (with adaptor of course) to vented catch can, vented catch can to POST TB vaccum port.

Agree to disagree

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:54 PM
Yes....

Agree to disagree.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:21 PM
or lets look at it in a completely different light...something i just though of.

we will have a vented system no matter what....granted is SHOULD always be under vaccum, but, any PCV line connected to the intake PRE TB will be vented. The intake tube and the FILTER ON THE END will act as a vent should crankcase pressure become high enough to NEED it....lol

So I was kinda wrong..no need for a breather, so ill get a catch can hook it up and call it a day.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:29 PM
It will always be under vacuum, and as the rpms raise and need of evacuation of pressure the vacuum increases as well.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:31 PM
Good point. The thing for me was that a breather on the can defeated the purpose of a line to the intake. Whenever it would pull vacuum it would just pull air from the breather to the intake and not from the motor.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:18 AM
So my new setup will be easier now....just have to find a catch can.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:36 PM
Bam!

http://www.saikoumichi.com/

From about 6 months of research came to the conclusion that its one of the best out there and a great price. Check out my build thread to see mine. I ordered a stage 2 with -10An fittings instead of nipples.
Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:45 PM
Might have found the issue...Looks like I didn't cut my new IM gasket far enough and it was still blocking half of the hole in the head.
Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:54 PM
here is what i just did tonight. plumbed two lines together, and into the intake tube...no can yet.
Attachments
pcv.jpg (80k)

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:18 AM
Looks like a good start.

When you get everything make sure you have a way to make all the lines -10an....

Larger the line the more vac youll have.
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:44 PM
Could I run it from the valve cover to a bung on the exhaust?
Bringing back an old post I know

2002 cavy 2.2 ecotec m62 Getrag trans
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:14 PM
Provided that you run the proper check valve it should be ok. Though, I think a baffled catch can connected to intake vacuum is still a better setup.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:15 PM
i like the mishimoto because you can take it apart to clean it up as the saikou shimi, you cant!
i dunno which one to go yet.....

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:11 PM
using all them fancy pancy japaniesey words. this here is a gm forum we use American catch cans. (insert texas accent)

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:20 PM
alright it was just a thought because this how my dad hooks up his big blocks, their a whole different breed tho. thought I would ask.
I have an ebay catch can right now... im guessing that's a no no

Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:33 AM
Magik1109 wrote:i like the mishimoto because you can take it apart to clean it up as the saikou shimi, you cant!
i dunno which one to go yet.....

The saikou michi has better baffling and proper distances between in and out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search