HavBoost - round 2 - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:11 PM
Sparkey05 wrote:

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

also, roots blowers do not "compress" the air, they just push more air into the engine than the it can take in on its own, naturally.


What? The instant your pressure is above ambient air pressure (~100kpa) you have compressed the air. If a roots blower builds 7 PSIG in a 1 cubic foot space, you have ~1.5 cubic feet of air in a 1 cubic foot space. Is that not compressed?

No, roots style chargers push air like a leaf blower. Screw type superchargers compress them since they are build very tightly so as the air goes it it's compressed inside the charger. It's hard to explain but if you look at How they work you will understand.




On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:20 PM
Sparkey05 wrote:

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

also, roots blowers do not "compress" the air, they just push more air into the engine than the it can take in on its own, naturally.


What? The instant your pressure is above ambient air pressure (~100kpa) you have compressed the air. If a roots blower builds 7 PSIG in a 1 cubic foot space, you have ~1.5 cubic feet of air in a 1 cubic foot space. Is that not compressed?

Also you are right but I think he's talking about internal versus external compression supercharges. Some compress the air inside the charger like a screw where roots do it after the charger. That's why you have Roots, Screw, and centrifugal.




On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: HavBoost - round 2
Friday, September 27, 2013 4:10 AM
Luke C wrote:

I'm guessing part of it is lower iat temps also. If boost goes down with a heat exchanger then with the phenolic lowering temps from less heat soak the boost will come down as well.


Usually psi goes up with cooler iats.



FU Tuning



Re: HavBoost - round 2
Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:38 PM
ok so update

i took the car to the track last week. the numbers are extremely disappointing since i had nothing but issues the whole time.

my best pass was 14.4 @ 96mph breaking up and running like crap the entire time.

I'm anxious to get back out there with everything solidified and try again. I still need to better learn how to launch the car.


also, this:
addicted to meth wrote:

You can user he injector pulse. Width multiplier to add fuel I. Boost and keep the offset stock. I have found if the fuel system is up to the task no offset or multiplier is needed.


best advice i received tuning wise. thank you.
it's been told to me several times before, but for some reason this drove it home for me. I only dropped my offset to 60%, but with the multiplier it's much easier to get the AFR I want now.

makes me wonder if all the years I preached about being impossible to tune turbo on the alpha-n setup... may not be impossible afterall...





Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:14 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:

ok so update

i took the car to the track last week. the numbers are extremely disappointing since i had nothing but issues the whole time.

my best pass was 14.4 @ 96mph breaking up and running like crap the entire time.

I'm anxious to get back out there with everything solidified and try again. I still need to better learn how to launch the car.


also, this:
addicted to meth wrote:

You can user he injector pulse. Width multiplier to add fuel I. Boost and keep the offset stock. I have found if the fuel system is up to the task no offset or multiplier is needed.


best advice i received tuning wise. thank you.
it's been told to me several times before, but for some reason this drove it home for me. I only dropped my offset to 60%, but with the multiplier it's much easier to get the AFR I want now.

makes me wonder if all the years I preached about being impossible to tune turbo on the alpha-n setup... may not be impossible afterall...



Honestly with this is isn't bad to tune for boost. Prefect no, but doable.

Big difference launching the roots powered car from the n/a car. I have been there I understand it.



FU Tuning



Re: HavBoost - round 2
Monday, October 07, 2013 6:03 PM
Figure anything out with the iats yet?



"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:32 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:

Figure anything out with the iats yet?


not really

they're acceptable while cruising, but at the track I think heat soak is going to be an issue. I'm taking some steps, but they're top secret right now


also, my job is under new management so there's lots of changes going on which is prompting me to start looking for a new job
and, I'm moving in the next 2 months as well. The car will probably take a back seat for a while so I can get my life situated and stabilized for next year.






Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:28 AM
Pretty much the same boat I'm in. Though, I haven't gone to the track since I installed the meth kit.

Sux about the job and moving. I just went through another move and NEVER want to do it again.



"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:15 AM
If u have meth I recommend a purge button. This will allow you to activate the meth while the car is idling, cruising etc. you can lower the iats 20-30 degrees. Before a pass.



FU Tuning



Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:12 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:

If u have meth I recommend a purge button. This will allow you to activate the meth while the car is idling, cruising etc. you can lower the iats 20-30 degrees. Before a pass.

I meant to do this originally and never got around to it. I think it will help a lot in the staging lanes.



"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:56 AM
Ever think about a CO2 sprayer on the intercooler?

CO2 Sprayer




Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:10 AM
We had the DEI sparyer on the brother LNF cobalt....not worth the money in my opinion. Did it cool temps....yes, but only by 5-10 degrees...and that is with it spraying all the way down the track.
This is after I wired up the purge....




Re: HavBoost - round 2
Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:25 PM
Good to know. Thanks



Re: HavBoost - round 2
Friday, October 11, 2013 1:37 AM
14.4@96mph...thats my last exact run on a slipping clutch and an EXTREMELY rich tune. I was never able to get it down the track but my the dr's were allowing for some decent launches. Im hoping to crush this number next time im at the track with a proper tune!

I feel you on the moving/job thing..when life hits it hits with a punch sometimes. I lost mine, still unemployed. Cars still not running properly yet. Parents moved back so I gotta find a place. Im looking at over seas jobs. That means if I do get one my car will sit in storage for a year or two. I just wanted to enjoy my car properly tuned for a few months and now that its 'winter' in TX..its the perfect time for a s/c car!

good luck with everything and get some track vids!


04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Re: HavBoost - round 2
Friday, October 11, 2013 3:26 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:

and, I'm moving in the next 2 months as well. The car will probably take a back seat for a while so I can get my life situated and stabilized for next year.


moving to PA, correct? Cause you know we need a PeeeeJ around here!






Re: HavBoost - round 2
Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:28 PM
not enough update for a new thread but.... update


so, my winter beater was being a POS as usual so I didn't really drive it on the coldest days because of weak heat (since it warmed up I kind of fixed this)

unfortunately, the front lip didn't survive the winter



but it's ok because I was kicking this around for a while and decided to finally pull the trigger....



I then found out some more details about the front end swap which is why my hood is fitting like garbage here


today I installed the 95-02 hood latch support and the OEM styrofoam energy absorber trimmed to fit the IF front


I have a few more details to work out (the driver's side sags still a bit) and I want to re-work the lighting in front as well as modify the front crash bar and raise the intercooler up to fill the grille.

still waiting on my TVS blower. should be here in early May.. when I get it, that'll be new thread time







Re: HavBoost - round 2
Monday, March 31, 2014 3:10 AM
Is the 03-05 hood latch at a different height than the 95-02 latch assembly?





Re: HavBoost - round 2
Monday, March 31, 2014 4:14 AM
Yes...

The 03-5 sits higher.




PJ..
What 4.3 did you use? I have the adapter but I recall blu04dd saying he got the wrong one and didnt pull correctly.
So what was it off of?
Re: HavBoost - round 2
Monday, March 31, 2014 3:55 PM
I love the change!



Re: HavBoost - round 2
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 10:44 PM
Philly D wrote:

Yes...

The 03-5 sits higher.




PJ..
What 4.3 did you use? I have the adapter but I recall blu04dd saying he got the wrong one and didnt pull correctly.
So what was it off of?


I'm pretty sure the 4.3 tbody I used is off of any 4.3 RWD truck. I had a chevy astro and was going to use it's throttle body, but I couldn't get it off the manifold because the astro is a whore to work on.

there's lots of different versions of the 4.3 tho and vortec/ northstar/ LSx tbodies. I need to get the details of it and I'll fill you in. CBM makes the adapter plate, they're on ebay.





Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search