Pic Request: Turbo + cooling - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pic Request: Turbo + cooling
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:00 PM
Hey just trying to see if anybody preferably with a 2.4LD9 or 2.2 Eco has pictures of there turbo with the coolant lines going in and out of the turbo. Im kind of confused on how to do the routing to the thermostat housing and so on. Once I take my turbo stuff here soon I might as well add cooling lines to my turbo.

Thanks.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Re: Pic Request: Turbo + cooling
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:23 PM
HA, with some searching I found Brandons setup. Hope you don't mind B, ill post in case other people need to see this.

306 TQ
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:42 PM
Yea I knew I remembered seeing those pics hah.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:11 AM
We have a line coming off the t-stat housing that goes to the turbo(the one that usually goes to the coolant reservoir), then the outlet goes to the reservoir. I will have jared take some pics!

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:33 AM
the way my lingenfelter kit does it is there's a 'T' that goes into one of the rubber heater hoses for the heater core. i cant exactly remember how the other one is ran... ill have to go dig it out and see.

PFFT secret cams?! pm me if you want a real upgrade.
Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:48 AM
Jr and Brad thanks fellas. Yea I wanna use my heater core hoses so if you guys could get pictures Id appriciate it

306 TQ
Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:18 AM
haha for like a sec i thought if he uses his heater core hoses it would be like a blast furnace in his car..

then i was like oh yeah he doesn't drive his car in winter so he would probably bypass his heater core.

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:28 AM
I used the heater core lines for my new setup

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2898349

Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:21 AM
i got water cooling option but i dont know how to do it, so i was just gonna cap the openings up and not use them

Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:45 AM
slick02eco wrote:I used the heater core lines for my new setup

Pics?

306 TQ
Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:08 AM
LAFNGAS wrote:i got water cooling option but i dont know how to do it, so i was just gonna cap the openings up and not use them

You should! It keeps everything more on the cool side. Its really not all that bad to set up.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:10 AM
how does one do it with the stock lines? at this point i really dont wanna rip stuff apart to be able to do it

Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:16 AM
^^Well thats what Im trying to figure out lol. Waiting patiently for them to post some pics.

306 TQ
Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:03 PM
I am talking about the line that goes above the header.

On the turbo car that line is cut up by the t-stat housing. A hose runs from that to the turbo and then back to the coolant reservoir. Hope that helps

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:26 PM

I machined a couple of Aluminum "T" fittings and tapped them for AN fittings. Put those in the ends of a new heater hose assembly and cut up the old heater hoses to make sure I could clear the turbo,header,wastegate (basically making the heater hoses about 5-6" longer). Than got some Banjo fittings from ATP Turbo

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FTG-003&Category_Code=GTBB (I see they have some newer designs now that will make things easier) and ran -6? AN lines to the turbo.

EDIT: I guess instead of calling them Aluminum "T" fittings I should have called them "Splices" that where tapped to form a "T"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:29 PM

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:07 PM
Jr yea I knew what lines you were talkin about, I just wanted to see pictures.

Thanks Gary for those pics. I would hate to ask ya to crawl under the car to take pictures, but ill ask anyway *cough cough* hahaha.

306 TQ
Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:26 PM
The small hoes that runs from the water neck and into the back of the water pump is where you want to run your turbo off of. You also want a restriction in that line after you tee and before the lines come back, that way there is incentive for the coolant to go through the turbo with some considerable rate. I placed two -6an lines into the water neck, one straight into the turbo and the other I brought down to -5an and then both lines are then T'd back to a -8an line and into the water pump inlet. Keep in mind this is just a flow loop for the coolant in the engine to circulate while the engine is running and the coolant isn't exchanging with the radiator. Dont go through the heater core...honestly its the same line really, there is a 2 way thermal valve in there that allows hot coolant to enter the heater loop...just stay on the side that always has the coolant running thru it...which is that same return line to the water pump.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:05 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:06 PM
call me dumb but i still just cant put this together in my head

Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:22 PM
LAFNGAS wrote:call me dumb but i still just cant put this together in my head

LMAO!! me either.. Thats why I asked if Gary will post under car pictures. I just may get rid of my heater hoses all together since I don't drive it in the winter anyway, and I have no a/c. I may just end up doing it in a similar way like Brandon did it. But i can not figure out how he connected that AN fitting and hose to the thermostat housing

306 TQ
Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:04 PM
bahh oil cooled ftmfw

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:16 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:
LAFNGAS wrote:call me dumb but i still just cant put this together in my head

LMAO!! me either.. Thats why I asked if Gary will post under car pictures. I just may get rid of my heater hoses all together since I don't drive it in the winter anyway, and I have no a/c. I may just end up doing it in a similar way like Brandon did it. But i can not figure out how he connected that AN fitting and hose to the thermostat housing

same again, only summer driven car, ac is gone already as well haha

Friday, July 17, 2009 5:14 AM
Quote:

Dont go through the heater core...honestly its the same line really, there is a 2 way thermal valve in there that allows hot coolant to enter the heater loop...just stay on the side that always has the coolant running thru it...which is that same return line to the water pump.

That's why I tee'd in before the plastic "H" with the valve in it.

David,I'll try to get some pic's this weekend.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Friday, July 17, 2009 5:37 AM
here's mine.... goes in EXACTLY like gary's...

PFFT secret cams?! pm me if you want a real upgrade.
Friday, July 17, 2009 6:34 AM
Thanks guys.

So a -6 hose will be plenty for the size right?

306 TQ
Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:43 PM
^yup

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search