safest SC pulley size to run on a 2.2 ecotec - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
safest SC pulley size to run on a 2.2 ecotec
Monday, July 14, 2014 5:20 PM
I am about to install a SC kit onto my 2.2 ecotec. The kit I am getting has 60# injectors, and a heat transfer pump. I also have the L61 pacesetter header, gutted cat and a 2.25" catback exhaust. What would be a safe pulley size for me to run without having to worry about damaging the motor? Also all of my internals are stock.

Re: safest SC pulley size to run on a 2.2 ecotec
Monday, July 14, 2014 6:24 PM
2.8 with proper cooling mods and a tune.

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:25 PM
strat81 wrote:2.8 with proper cooling mods and a tune.

Without a Meth kit. I max out 660's with an 2.8 pulley.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:19 AM
OK, cool. Thank you sirs, I found a couple Meth kits on ebay for about 300$. Do yall know if they are decent or just some cheap POS.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:54 AM
without company names or links its pretty hard to say.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:02 AM
For some reason I read this post as smallest pulley that can be run safely...

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:42 AM
In my personal opinion you'll be best off with a 3.0-3.1 pulley. That seemed to be the sweet spot on my l61 at least. I was running a 3.1 with a 3.5gal/hr meth kit and zzp s3 heat exchanger. Temps were under control and I literally never saw even 1 degree of knock retard while running plenty of timing advance.

Lots of people run 2.8s but this is just my personal experience/opinion. Sure, I made about 25 more hp at the wheels but I found that dropping to a 2.9 reduced my timing advance more than I wanted and introduced significant knock retard that was NEVER there before. It ran great but I think it greatly compromised the longevity of that motor. Basically, that 25hp came at a cost. I replaced the with an LK9 before anything bad happened and I've had nothing but trouble ever since but that's another story in itself.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:57 AM
Based on some of the numbers I've seen on a 3.1 with supporting mods (exhaust, fueling, cooling, etc)... I think 250 whp could be within reach on a 5 spd car with the right conditions and tune.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:03 AM
I'd agree with that.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:59 PM
I have an auto so 250whp is out of the question for now. The kit is coming with 3.0 and 3.1 pulleys, and based on what yall are saying I will stick to those until I get an injection kit. I am mainly just excited as hell to be running boost for the first time on a car. That is the main reason I want to be safe, also considering it is my DD. So with my exhaust setup, 60# injectors, 3.0 pulley, heat exchanger and a good tune with an auto trans, I will be looking at least 210-220whp yall think?
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:15 PM
Definitely. You won't be disappointed with those specs. Of course, it's all going to be in the tune.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:19 PM
Awesome. I am taking it back to the guy that did my last dyno tune. He got me 145whp with a short ram intake, LE5 manifold swap, LSJ injectors, pacesetter header, gutted cat and a 2.25" catback. I was pretty impressed considering my car is an auto. Just looking for more so I can take it down the 1/4 mile and have some fun. maybe bust a couple Hondas along the way... :-)
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:12 PM
Angel's car made 242 whp on an auto with a 3.1 and supporting mods. 250whp on an auto isn't necessarily out of the question.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:15 PM
strat81 wrote:Angel's car made 242 whp on an auto with a 3.1 and supporting mods. 250whp on an auto isn't necessarily out of the question.

I swear that guy dynoed in the Netherlands way below sea level

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:59 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
strat81 wrote:Angel's car made 242 whp on an auto with a 3.1 and supporting mods. 250whp on an auto isn't necessarily out of the question.

I swear that guy dynoed in the Netherlands way below sea level

Lol

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:26 AM
Well we shall see what happens. Should have it installed next week and dyno'd by next weekend. I will post up the numbers when its all said and done.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:52 PM
Jake my car is an auto, we are good until 325tq and the clutch will slip before the transmission gives.
The stock rods are "250 HP" but dirk has been at 435 whp with his TVs and a lot of Meth.
Who is tuning j's near us?
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:11 AM

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:16 PM
michael castrechino, I take my car to DTP on Indian River RD. They are a little pricey, but worth it in my opinion. A good dyno tune is the only way to go IMO. Where do you live in Norfolk BTW? LMAO oldskool.
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:42 PM
I'm in Norfolk, have you gotten the kit yet? The wizard has most of the parts & I'll have the supercharger for it by the end of the month. Upgrading to TVS.
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:48 PM
michael castrechino, I will have the kit tomorrow. UPS came with it today, but some BS with customs added another fee to the shipping, so I have to pay that before they give it to me. I sent you a message on facebook, hit me back on it. Not everyday I run into someone that has a boosted J in Norfolk. I live off of Little Creek rd. BTW.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:03 AM
Sorry to thread jack but not everyday I see other J's in the Norfolk area on here. Mine will be boosted here in the next month or so depending on how fast I can get the evofire shipped out here and torn apart (this all also depends on free time) so there will be another boosted J joining the Norfolk ranks. I live in Virginia Beach BTW off of Independance.

But back on topic, start on a 3 inch and go from there.
Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:57 PM
That's cool Red, anytime you wanna cruise with me or Mike, just hit us up. I know I am always down for a little late night ride.
Wednesday, September 03, 2014 10:01 AM
Met up with Mike a few times some time back didn't know he was still in the area. But yeah for sure I'd like to hang out with other J owners.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search