Map sensor and HP Tuners - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Map sensor and HP Tuners
Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:58 AM
hello guys

Need to know what the whole deal with the map sensor is.Im getting my car tuned (Finally) by Granite state dyno and tune and need to know what it is i need to change with my setup do i need to change my stock map senor to a tmap from a cobalt ss? what do i have to cut? whats the deal with splicing into the IAT senor? somebody please straighten me out so i can get this thing on the road!!

My setup

-1998 cavalier coupe
-eco swapped from 05 sunfire (42k miles)
-02 fuel rail with saab blue top injectors with machined injector cups
-saab mitsubishi high pressure turbo
-2.5 complete exhaust high flow cat
--adjustable FPR

Re: Map sensor and HP Tuners
Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:38 PM
AJ Barter wrote:hello guys

Need to know what the whole deal with the map sensor is.Im getting my car tuned (Finally) by Granite state dyno and tune and need to know what it is i need to change with my setup do i need to change my stock map senor to a tmap from a cobalt ss? what do i have to cut? whats the deal with splicing into the IAT senor? somebody please straighten me out so i can get this thing on the road!!

My setup

-1998 cavalier coupe
-eco swapped from 05 sunfire (42k miles)
-02 fuel rail with saab blue top injectors with machined injector cups
-saab mitsubishi high pressure turbo
-2.5 complete exhaust high flow cat
--adjustable FPR

That can not be easily said as we do not know your setup. I mean how it was intended to be used/built. what does your tuner think is best. How is the car currently running?

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:43 PM
You need one that works. That was intended to be a very wide open response. I was using the 2.5 BAR TMAP for a while and I am currently running the stock 1 Bar MAP. You Eco-swapped, did you swap to the Eco PCM as well? How much boost are you planning on running?

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:02 PM
I plan on this being a daily driver that's fun In the summer time I would like to see 225-235 whp as my end goal and yes I have the PCM from the doner car the wiring harness from the 05 is in there now from the headlights to the tailights I will be using HP Tuners to tune and I just need to know how to wire in the cobalt map sensor so that the Eco computer can see boost once he tunes it. If I leave the factory map sensor it will only be able to see vaccuum correct? Please let me know I need to get this finished
Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:13 PM
AJ Barter wrote:I plan on this being a daily driver that's fun In the summer time I would like to see 225-235 whp as my end goal and yes I have the PCM from the doner car the wiring harness from the 05 is in there now from the headlights to the tailights I will be using HP Tuners to tune and I just need to know how to wire in the cobalt map sensor so that the Eco computer can see boost once he tunes it. If I leave the factory map sensor it will only be able to see vaccuum correct? Please let me know I need to get this finished

The factory OS will never read boost regardless of what map sensor you put in.

This is where talking to your tuning and then understanding the ECU setup is very important.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:11 AM
That's why I'm asking here the guy that did supposed to tune my car said to me I need to do somthing about the map sensor and after researching on here you guys run the cobalt ss one most of the time so I guess I just want to know how to wire it in unless you don't need to do this when using HP Tuners? Please explain!!
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:47 AM
This thread is the thread you need:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&i=20831&t=20831

It has all the information on how to get a tunable PCM in the car that has support for an OS that can read boost. Its not the best, but it would work.

Because you wont need that high of boost pressure to make 250 or lower on an ecotec, the 2 bar OS would be acceptable.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:11 PM
Whoa ANOTHER new englander I didn't know about! Pm incoming..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:02 PM
If I was tuning your car I would tell you to leave the stock map sensor in place. Make sure the IAT is reading post blower and go from there.

It is starting to sound like your tuner has no experience with our ECU which tells me you will not get the best tune.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:15 PM
Fellow Mainer... of course I am subscribed.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:36 AM
The ECU cannot be flashed to a 2, 2.5, or 3bar MAP system like some other cars. Our cars also do not rely on MAP to calculate fueling requirements, so in the absence of a MAF sensor this complicates things for boost a little. This means that someone that pumps out amazing LS1 tunes does not necessarily have the proficiency to tune a boosted alpha-n system. That's not to say they aren't capable, but it can impact your end result and your wallet. If you follow what Matt posted above, that will lead you to a 2bar speed density system that is much more familiar to and workable by most tuners.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:46 AM
Theres nothing wrong with Alpha-n, though. Mines tuned with it and it runs like a top.

IF i had the choice to go with a 3bar OS I would probably do it; 2bar doesnt feel like its worth the credits I would need vs how the car is running at 32psi.

After talking with a lot of places over the last couple years just in casual conversation; i would NOT let anyone who didnt have experience with a J pcm anywhere near my car for a boost tune.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:24 PM
Matt Linke wrote:Theres nothing wrong with Alpha-n, though. Mines tuned with it and it runs like a top.

IF i had the choice to go with a 3bar OS I would probably do it; 2bar doesnt feel like its worth the credits I would need vs how the car is running at 32psi.

After talking with a lot of places over the last couple years just in casual conversation; i would NOT let anyone who didnt have experience with a J pcm anywhere near my car for a boost tune.

ding, ding, ding

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:44 PM
He knows, we talked yesterday over the phone for a while. I told him what to tell the dyno shop (who is pretty reputable in the area) and they at least understood what he was telling them and agreed to still give it a shot. I know they do a lot of the cobalts in the area and I'm sure they expected it to be similar, which obviously isn't even close. I'm planning on going with him for this appointment to see how they handle it. Worst comes to worst I'll take my laptop and we can go from there.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, August 29, 2014 8:26 AM
well this is alot to take in for now and ill stick with the stock map sensor and see how the tune goes with the help of Ryan (Y3llowcav) and see how i feel otherwise i will go down the road of changing to the ld9 setup again thanks for the help guys and ill keep you posted!!!
Friday, August 29, 2014 8:59 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:He knows, we talked yesterday over the phone for a while. I told him what to tell the dyno shop (who is pretty reputable in the area) and they at least understood what he was telling them and agreed to still give it a shot. I know they do a lot of the cobalts in the area and I'm sure they expected it to be similar, which obviously isn't even close. I'm planning on going with him for this appointment to see how they handle it. Worst comes to worst I'll take my laptop and we can go from there.

^ yet another reason why i love this community. members willing to help new people out with no questions asked.

Good luck at the dyno, let us know how it goes

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 12:40 AM
X2^^^

that and Ryan is an uber "nice" guy, you should try his reach around sometime. *waves KGM flag*

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 2:43 AM
Scorpio1 (James K.) wrote:X2^^^

that and Ryan is an uber "nice" guy, you should try his reach around sometime. *waves KGM flag*

Lmfao! Shhhhhhhhh it was supposed to be a surprise...

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search